Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2014

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road
Re: Extreme Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEXE View Post
I find anything other than a propane cookstove scary....
Our alcohol stove isn't pressurized and we like it. Propane scares me a bit on a boat. We leave our blower running whenever the propane heater is on.

Quote:

The electric heat did nothing for condensation really, i was having major issues with keeping enough air moving. to the point i would even hesitate making coffee. for fear of STEAM! you just back away from that rice cooker mate.
We seem to have less condensation with electric than when we have to do propane. We examined all the heaters and their strengths and weaknesses and determined a 1250/1500 radiant heater was best for our needs. Works very good down to about the mid 20's and then we have to pull out the propane heater.

Quote:

This winter i got me a wallas dt30, its a little bigger than a breadbox and it works great "so far"... condensation is a thing of the past. I burn about a gallon of diesel a
day when its 30f out and around 2 gallons when its 0...
I have a lot of experience in diesel heaters and it hasn't been good. I had one that came with my Thermoking APU and I had issues with it. I will never ever buy an Espar. The last company I worked for had them in their trucks and they never worked and apparently they are hard to get parts for. AND that company was a service rep for the company and still had major issues. It's just too much money to pay out for something I've had such crappy results with in the past. When they do work, they will roast you out, but that's when and if they work.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearson796 View Post
Our alcohol stove isn't pressurized and we like it. Propane scares me a bit on a boat. We leave our blower running whenever the propane heater is on.

We seem to have less condensation with electric than when we have to do propane. We examined all the heaters and their strengths and weaknesses and determined a 1250/1500 radiant heater was best for our needs. Works very good down to about the mid 20's and then we have to pull out the propane heater.

both propane and alcohol give off a LOT of moisture when they burn so they cause a lot of condensation issues. Best thing for condensation is hot air and or ventilation. Especially when it gets well below freezing as most of the moisture is out of the air, so if you can circulate some air, you loose heat but as long as it is being replaced with dry heat it will help.
Old 01-31-2014

HEXE is on a distinguished road

I will have the fear of coming home and wallas heater being belly up for some time.
i had the same fear years ago when i bought my first toyotomi oilmiser heater for my mobile home.
if i get 3 to 5 years of trouble free work of out it, i will be happy.

i spent many nights looking for what everyone had to say about these diesel heaters,
and talking to a few on the docks and at the chandler
i ruled out the espar pretty fast...
most people liked there webasto and there wallas...
wallas installed easy... drilling then giant holes 80mm for the air hoses was the worst part.

cooking... i go electric, hot plate . crockpot toaster oven...
when i'm out in the real world i have the handy coleman double burner stove...
and the ever reliable BBQ grill.

Got wood ? I have been thinking about wood, not really as a primary heating but as a back up. the problem is storage.. wood is big on a small boat.
I do find charcoal briquettes really nice. they put out about 500 btu each and come in good smelling flavors lol... if you have some crappy smelling wood. say from loading pallets, toss in a few hickory or mesquite bricks. your neighbors will think you are eating steak tonight and not ramen noodles.

I am pretty new to living aboard, 2 years so far. but i am loving every minute of it. 25 degrees this morning with a light dusting of snow.
Remote start... i must get remote start for the car. lol...
Old 01-31-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

" but I think these ends are a type of freeze plug "
At 2# of torque...SURE DOES! Heck, I've known jelly jars that were tighter than that.
Pearson796 likes this.
Old 01-31-2014

pcmm is on a distinguished road

Pearson 796. We lived-aboard for 5 years up in Toronto where the water gets hard for 5 months of the year. over the winter, the first thin you should do is remove the rig and build a frame over the boat and get it shrinkwrapped with clear. turns the whole boat into a green house! then grab some black cheaper grabage bags and some fiberglass pink and lay them on the deck and coach roof to create an insulating blanket! really makes a big difference!
Old 01-31-2014

hpeer is on a distinguished road

We are in the water in the C&D canal, just off the Delaware Bay. We live aboard about half time.

Actually we have two steel sailboats, one is on the hard right now. We sail in Newfoundland and both boats have Espars and kero bulkhead heaters, with proper chimneys.

Our experience with Espar has been very good. The D4 has kept the boat quite nice down to lower single digits. But I close off the aft cabin during the day when real cold. On the worst night we also ran the kero bulkhead heater in the aft cabin, it got right toasty.

We still have condensation issues, frost on the ports, etc.

Boat was froze in hard.

But we were happy and cozy.
Old 01-31-2014

Quote:

cooking... i go electric, hot plate . crockpot toaster oven...
when i'm out in the real world i have the handy coleman double burner stove...
and the ever reliable BBQ grill.
We just recently bought an electric skillet as an alternative to the expensive denatured alcohol at about 2 gals a month. It was a great investment. We went a whole month on only 1 gal.
Old 01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

We still have condensation issues, frost on the ports, etc.

Boat was froze in hard.

But we were happy and cozy.
That sucks so bad. We have the same issues and yes, we are happy and cozy too.
Old 01-31-2014

lightfoot is on a distinguished road

do you have some kind of insulation between your heated space, and the cold outer shell of the boat?
Old 01-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Pearson 796. We lived-aboard for 5 years up in Toronto where the water gets hard for 5 months of the year. over the winter, the first thin you should do is remove the rig and build a frame over the boat and get it shrinkwrapped with clear. turns the whole boat into a green house! then grab some black cheaper grabage bags and some fiberglass pink and lay them on the deck and coach roof to create an insulating blanket! really makes a big difference!
That's the crazy part, this area of the country RARELY gets as cold as it has been. We would not be here if this was normal. We would have gone much further south down the river.

For example, it's supposed to be 58 tomorrow here and only get down to 40 tonight.

We aren't cold in the cabin, it's just the condensation issues that are driving us crazy.