Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Extreme Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
I have never had to use a wooden plug on a thru hull fitting. I am adding these tales for some insight on wooden plugs or the use of them. Does any one else have thoughts or tales ?
A man would need to use great care if you are below the water line and trying to drive a plug in. NO BOAT IS WORTH A LIFE. if you are miles from land risk factors change. The loss of the boat might be a huge loss and change the odds of making it. If you are at the dock the game is all about you. Maybe the dock lines would hold her up?
I can tell you as a pipefitter I have used a wooden plug to stop a 2" inch opening off an 8" pipe with glycol/water mix at about 40 psi the nipple was broken fitting off by a fork truck. The factory needed to run until shift change a cut and weld could be made.
The plug was drove into the hole with the pumps off. With the pumps off their was very little head pressure. I was expecting it to shoot out like a cannon and the mess to spread but it held.
I have changed a 3/4" inch thermal well at the basement three floors down on a 6" condenser water pipe. This was beyond wet No garden hose has that kind of pressure. It was chilling. I am still amazed that I was able to thread in a new one. If I failed on that one It would have cost a day or so but everyone new the risk. I would not have used a plug We had made the decision to open the main drain If I failed. Picked the day and did it.
If you had to have a reaction on a boat . I am not sure you would have time even if the plug was on a string next to the opening with a hammer at the ready.
Good day, Lou
And what kind of water pressure do you expect from a broken seacock 18 inches below sea level?

Have a look at these two videos..

Lou452 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to knuterikt For This Useful Post:
Lou452 (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I was expecting a lot more water at a faster speed ! Thanks for that post.
Good day, Lou
Old 02-02-2014

JoeBotz is on a distinguished road

Sprayed closed cell anti microbial insulation foam works. But shaving it to "size/fit" is a b,,, Yet worth it! it comes in two five gallon pressurized tanks!

I always sailed in the winter if the ice did not preclude me. Have woke up many times in ice,,,no problems, winch in your anchor through the inch of ice! As you motor forwards,,then back out till you reach, the inlet. Li/NY

OH! HUGE THING! VENTILATION IS B> I USE AGA Mask.
Old 02-02-2014

lightfoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearson796 View Post
You have people living year round on boats on the Great Lakes? I'm from the Detroit area originally and I don't remember seeing boats still in the water in the winter.
We've bubbled boats for as long as I can remember. At least 40 years here on Lk St Clair.

I'm talking about a few hearty souls who are actually living aboard a few of these bubbled boats. Go figure ?
Old 02-03-2014

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
And what kind of water pressure do you expect from a broken seacock 18 inches below sea level?

Have a look at these two videos..

Yachting Monthly's Crash Test Boat is holed Part 1 - YouTube

Yachting Monthly's Crash Test Boat is holed Part 2 - YouTube
Oddly enough, I just watched this one a few weeks ago and then watched the one where they turtled a boat to see who much stuff flew around inside.
Old 02-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
We've bubbled boats for as long as I can remember. At least 40 years here on Lk St Clair.

I'm talking about a few hearty souls who are actually living aboard a few of these bubbled boats. Go figure ?
All I can say is.. Wow, that's hardcore.
Old 02-03-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I can see one minor drawback to H2Out marine products:

"How to regenerate your H2Out Dehumidifier:
Simply place the unit in an oven* for two-three hours at 300°F (149°C). - See more at: http://h2out.com/faqs#sthash.tawcp1wL.dpuf"

So who is going to run the oven on their boat for 3 hours every day? In order to...drive the moisture out of the H2Out and back into the cabin of the boat?

Just seems like an electric heater (goldenrod) or ventilated heater (external combustion) is a way more effective way to go.
Old 02-03-2014

Apparently we had an ice storm last night. It was raining a good bit in the afternoon and all of a sudden the temps dropped and left a thick layer of ice on everything.

We have over an inch of ice in places on the boat. The expected temps in the next few days, aren't going to be enough to melt the ice I don't think.

We chiseled the ice off our vehicle and attempted the snow/ice covered hill out of the slip parking. I barely made it up the hill and as steep and narrow as that drive is, I would not attempt to come back down it.

As for the boat, I wish the weather man had been able to predict this so I could have covered the cockpit of the boat. The hatch was frozen shut this morning and it took a bit of work to get out.
Old 02-03-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearson796 View Post
You have people living year round on boats on the Great Lakes? I'm from the Detroit area originally and I don't remember seeing boats still in the water in the winter.
There's even a live aboard community here in Minneapolis, on the Mississippi river. Houseboats, not sailboats, but yeah all year long. And it is *cold* here.
Pearson796 likes this.
Old 02-03-2014

pcmm is on a distinguished road

When I was living aboard (Toronto winters). Some people would hang a 60 watt bulb and fixture next to each through hull to keep then nice and warm over the winter! I did this for a couple of winters and then realized that this technique wasn't necessary with the bubblers in our marina! The system they used had massive compressors and the entire slip would stay ice free.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.