Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2014

lightfoot is on a distinguished road
Re: Extreme Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
When I was living aboard (Toronto winters). Some people would hang a 60 watt bulb and fixture next to each through hull to keep then nice and warm over the winter! I did this for a couple of winters and then realized that this technique wasn't necessary with the bubblers in our marina! The system they used had massive compressors and the entire slip would stay ice free.
Even if the slip stays Ice Free due to any kind of bubbling system, (air, agitation, ect) the thru hulls will still freeze if the temp in the bilge gets below freezing.

The light bulb idea is OK, as long as the bulb doesn't burn out, but it's not foolproof.

The most effective way I've found is to pour vegetable oil into these (drains, or inlets, or whatever), and close off the valve while you're doing this. The oil will displace any water in the thru hull fitting, and since oil is lighter than water, it won't seep out the bottom, below the valve. It will actually coagulate within the thru hull fitting as the temp gets colder, and provide a nice sort of soft plug while keeping water out of there. Also, if vegetable oil is used, you won't be accused of polluting the marina like a normal oil or gas spill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2014

Pearson796 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
When I was living aboard (Toronto winters). Some people would hang a 60 watt bulb and fixture next to each through hull to keep then nice and warm over the winter! I did this for a couple of winters and then realized that this technique wasn't necessary with the bubblers in our marina! The system they used had massive compressors and the entire slip would stay ice free.
Wow, that's a good idea. I wish I had thought about doing that in my Engine Compartment.

But, here in the US, I don't think they sell regular light bulbs anymore by law. All that you can buy anymore are CF, but I'm not 100% positive. But I think that is the way it is right now.
Old 02-04-2014
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearson796 View Post
Wow, that's a good idea. I wish I had thought about doing that in my Engine Compartment.

But, here in the US, I don't think they sell regular light bulbs anymore by law. All that you can buy anymore are CF, but I'm not 100% positive. But I think that is the way it is right now.
They are not allowed to manufacture them anymore but there are a few years worth in the pipeline. I think though that a incandescent light bulb is way to fragile and short lived for me to use as a source of heat to keep a seacock warm, a golden rod type of heating element would be more reliable. Though we did once use them for heat in an outdoor cat's house during the winter. I don't think she (the cat) cared much if it worked or not, but the snow sure melted off the top of it.

Winterizing it just makes more sense, along with keeping cabinet doors in front of them open to keep warm air circulating around them.
Old 02-04-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearson796 View Post
There are efficiency standards for light bulbs now that pretty much mandate CFL or LED, but there are a lot of loopholes for specialty bulbs that are for outdoor or heating use.

But using a light bulb as a heating source for something that can sink your boat seems pretty cheesy.... The Easy-Bake Oven solution to boat winterization?
Old 02-04-2014

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

No worries if you want to burn your boat down with using bulbs to heat in a confined space, CFLs, although generate no heat the integral ballasts do. And same goes of LEDs. You can put them closer to the sea cocks without as much risk of fire. Just a piont about the new wave of lighting and heat, I would never recommend using such a method.

Edit: IMHO, though that was a given.

Last edited by Delta-T; 02-04-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
No worries if you want to burn your boat down with using bulbs to heat in a confined space,
Can you cite an example where this actually happened?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I edited my post for you....really? Do you really think an incandescent bulb can not start a fire?

Last edited by Delta-T; 02-04-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Here you go from the NFPA: https://www.nfpa.org/research/report...ses/electrical

"In 2011, an estimated 16,400 non-home structure fires reported to U.S. fire departments involved some type of electrical failure or malfunction as a factor contributing to ignition. These fires resulted in 13 civilian deaths, 243 civilian injuries, and $501 million in direct property damage. In 2007-2011, non-home electrical fires represented 13% of total non-home structure fires, 5% of associated civilian deaths, 13% of associated civilian injuries, and 21% of associated direct property damage.

Half (48%) of 2007-2011 reported non-confined U.S. home structure fires involving electrical failure or malfunction had some type of electrical distribution or lighting equipment as equipment involved in ignition. The leading other types of equipment involved in ignition were fan (6%), washer or dryer (6%), space heater (4%), air conditioning equipment (4%), water heater (3%), and range (3%).
Old 02-05-2014

lightfoot is on a distinguished road

About 20 yrs ago, winter bubbling became fairly popular at our little sail club in Michigan. Since we were concerned about members jury rigging goofy heating within their boats, we made a rule limiting on board electric usage to no more than 100 watts.

We designed cheap convection heaters using a light bulb, for those who desired a little air circulation around things like their engine block. These heaters consisted of a cheap porcelain light fixture (the kind you see in closets or basements) mounted to a slightly larger piece of thin plywood for stability. Then cut out top & bottom of a large juice can to place over the bulb, which acted like a chimney. This was simply held in place a couple inches above the plywood by 3 or 4 thin metal brackets, probably cut from other juice can material. Not sure if this part worked, but someone came up with the idea of painting the juice cans flat black in an effort to absorb more heat from the bulb. We also wired these with something like a 10ft cord, so users wouldn't be burdened with trying to self wire the fixtures, or use short cords whose connections might fall into bilge water.

The juice can also provided some protection for the light bulb in case someone accidentally knocked it over. The contraption cost less than $5 but it's effectiveness was always questionable.

The more apparent problem using electricity in a bilge, is the obvious danger from an unexpected spark. Guess what, Gasoline fumes are heavier than air, and even the smallest amount will find their way to the deepest areas of a bilge.

That's why all approved marine electrical equipment is certified as "Ignition Protected". Our little $5 heater contraptions certainly were NOT "Ignition Protected" and neither is anything else you can purchase at "Home Depot".

Last edited by lightfoot; 02-05-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: shorten the post
Old 02-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
a cheap porcelain light fixture (the kind you see in closets
These are outlawed for closet use because of fires.

http://garages.about.com/od/closetst...ghts_rules.htm

"Surface-mounted or recessed fixtures are both permitted, but exposed (uncovered) light bulbs are not. "

Has anyone ever had a hot bulb get wet? I have and they shatter before the element sparks/burns out. All it would take is one drop of condensation and some combustible bilge fumes.

Last edited by Delta-T; 02-05-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.