SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Extreme Cold (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/115081-extreme-cold.html)

Pearson796 01-03-2014 10:34 PM

Extreme Cold
 
We chose to stay on Kentucky Lake this winter because, according to the weather history, it's not usually a place with extreme cold.. Not often in the "really cold" range.

Now it seems we are facing the coldest extremes in 20 years here on the lake with subzero temps.

Woke up yesterday to snow and ice. Sunday it's supposed to drop down to single digits and stays there until Tuesday...

Of course our sailboat seems to lack any sort of insulation and the admiral has a smoking addiction and every time she opens the hatch to smoke, every bit of heat we have goes out and is replaced with winter cold.

Fortunately the temps will be back in the mid to high 40's by Thursday.


This photo is from Jan 2

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/member...ake-marina.jpg

Minnesail 01-03-2014 10:53 PM

Re: Extreme Cold
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearson796 (Post 1270313)
Woke up yesterday to snow and ice. Sunday it's supposed to drop down to single digits and stays there until Tuesday...

Tropical!

Our forecast calls for lows of -20F both Sunday and Monday night.

Almost nobody smokes indoors anymore, and temps like this get a lot of people to quit....

Rhapsody-NS27 01-03-2014 11:00 PM

Re: Extreme Cold
 
Where on KY Lake are you?

I have my boat on the Lake Barkley side of Grand Rivers at Green Turtle Bay Marina. I drove up to check on the boat and despite the snow/ice on it, it still looked like it was doing pretty good. I'm not looking forward to the single digits expected on Monday.

Subaqua 01-03-2014 11:04 PM

Re: Extreme Cold
 
Yes, getting to the boat would be good.. Our forecast calls for -27 deg. F. for the next few days with -60 F wind chills.. Sad thing is its not unheard of this time of year. Very sad.

Lou452 01-03-2014 11:26 PM

Re: Extreme Cold
 
I am in KY, East of you. The cold and heat seem more intense here because we always have humidity. "That cold KY rain" "AZ its a dry heat" Here in the summer at 85* I run into the AZ natives that beg to be home in triple digit temps.
I would Treat myself to a room. You may have to see if you can find a motel, church or shelter.
Mammoth Cave is great in the winter. The crowds are not as big and the underground temp is the same year round. It is a National Park well worth the trip. :)
This state is no place for a weather man. I have been hearing temps forecast as low as -6 But then back up to +50
I have a tarp over my boat for the winter. My boat is on a trailer. I have found the tarp will warm it up when I am out messing around in it. the tarp acts like an emergency blanket. At the extreme cold I do not know if you will have much help from a tarp. Maybe some one else can comment ?
Good Day, Lou

Pearson796 01-03-2014 11:46 PM

Re: Extreme Cold
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 (Post 1270449)
Where on KY Lake are you?

I have my boat on the Lake Barkley side of Grand Rivers at Green Turtle Bay Marina. I drove up to check on the boat and despite the snow/ice on it, it still looked like it was doing pretty good. I'm not looking forward to the single digits expected on Monday.

We are over at Kenlake Marina. They have treated us very good over here. It's no GTB, but we have the basics at a quarter of the cost.

IMHO, the crew over here are very people oriented and down to earth. We felt really out of place over there at GTB with all those rich folk. They didn't treat us like we were on their level.

But anyway, we've met some nice people over here and one who said he's going to give me sailing lessons on the lake this coming season and is going to help me step my mast when the weather improves.

Pearson796 01-03-2014 11:54 PM

Re: Extreme Cold
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou452 (Post 1270545)
I am in KY, East of you. The cold and heat seem more intense here because we always have humidity. "That cold KY rain" "AZ its a dry heat" Here in the summer at 85* I run into the AZ natives that beg to be home in triple digit temps.
I would Treat myself to a room. You may have to see if you can find a motel, church or shelter.
Mammoth Cave is great in the winter. The crowds are not as big and the underground temp is the same year round. It is a National Park well worth the trip. :)
This state is no place for a weather man. I have been hearing temps forecast as low as -6 But then back up to +50
I have a tarp over my boat for the winter. My boat is on a trailer. I have found the tarp will warm it up when I am out messing around in it. the tarp acts like an emergency blanket. At the extreme cold I do not know if you will have much help from a tarp. Maybe some one else can comment ?
Good Day, Lou

Monday is going to be rough, but then it'll warm right back up. We stay pretty warm. We haven't had to turn the heater up on high yet. It's still on it's low setting. If it gets too cold, I'll pull out the propane heater and run electric and propane together.

I'm not overly concerned considering it's not supposed to be a long cold spell. We spent some hot springs in the Desert of Southern California and come cool summers in the Eastern Sierras when we traveled around in our Motorhome... It's been a long time since we've experienced extreme humidity... I can say we aren't looking forward to that.

Lou452 01-04-2014 12:06 AM

Re: Extreme Cold
 
I am thinking someone with some cold weather live aboard experience will comment soon.
I have seen some magazine articles with sailboats chasing Ice bergs. The boats all had wood /coal stove. The charley noble a nick name for the flue pipe.
I have been reading propane makes condensation they also have some diesel heaters that can make a cook stove

good day Lou

Pearson796 01-04-2014 12:26 AM

Re: Extreme Cold
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou452 (Post 1270745)
I am thinking someone with some cold weather live aboard experience will comment soon.
I have seen some magazine articles with sailboats chasing Ice bergs. The boats all had wood /coal stove. The charley noble a nick name for the flue pipe.
I have been reading propane makes condensation they also have some diesel heaters that can make a cook stove

good day Lou

Yes, propane causes horrible condensation problems. Since we switched to electric at the dock, we don't have near the problems with it.

On top of that, I'm a little leery of running the propane at night while we are sleeping. I don't worry so much with the Electric heat on.

Even with the heat on last night, we woke up to ice on the port holes in the vberth this morning.

Rhapsody-NS27 01-04-2014 12:56 AM

Re: Extreme Cold
 
I want to get a wood heater for my boat but I need to figure out how/where to mount one. I could spend a little more time on the boat in colder weather.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012