Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Liveaboard - Houston/Galveston

Don't know what it's like now, but I stayed at Marina del Sol while doing my refit (2006-07). Decent price (especially if you paid for a year), good pool, while the rest of the facilities were nothing special, but more than adequate and clean. Plus you could usually park near your dock.

Waterford, Watergate, the Boardwalk, and Portfino are all handy to local businesses.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letrappes View Post
I had my boat in Watergate for a little while when I first bought it. I draw 6.5' and never found bottom though I did follow everyone else's lead I where to go. I liked the area and the sailing but a two and a half hour drive was a bit far to go for sailing a couple times a week. I enjoy being able to get to the boat within ten minutes of leaving work. If an offer was presented I don't think I'd have a problem moving to the Kemah area but I have no interest in Houston.
That's funny. We were dragging through silt in our fairway (in the fixed-slip area) just a few weeks ago (5'6" draft). I also raced on a boat out of Watergate that had a draft of 6', and we were boiling up mud behind us in the channel just outside the breakwater during one of our departures.

Were you in the floating slips?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 04-11-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2014

Letrappes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
That's funny. We we dragging through silt in our fairway (in the fixed-slip area) just a few weeks ago (5'6" draft). I also raced on a boat out of Watergate that had a draft of 6', and we were boiling up mud behind us in the channel just outside the breakwater during one of our departures.

We you in the floating slips?
I was in the floating slips. I was on the short dock on the northwest side of the complex. Last slip on the right which doesn't have a slip across from it. It was right by the breakwater. I don't remember hitting bottom there.

Possibly got lucky in the slip I was in or always managed to take the boat out with a good tide. I wasn't there very long so maybe with a good north wind at low tide in the winter I would've been in two feet.

At my current marina I've got 4' under my keel on those days whereas my buddy on the other end of the dock is stuck in the mud with a foot less draft. I snagged that slip the day the previous sailboat moved on.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 04-13-2014

FSMike is on a distinguished road

When my son lived in Houston he told me that it was the only city he'd ever seen with a 24/7 traffic jam.
Old 04-13-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Strange I keep defending Houston, since I really don't like it that well, but.....

Compared to Austin, Houston is a traffic pleasure. Houston is 17th out of 100 US metro areas on the Inrix traffic scorecard. Not great, but not close to Los Angeles or Austin.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 04-21-2014

Mystery117 is on a distinguished road

Good information, now that I'm here and still trying to acquire my live aboard, we've had an opportunity to check out the places you've mentioned. One this is certain, the cost is much more affordable here. Over 20/ft in Miami!! Much better here. Of course your cruising ground isn't as great but I'm not going to complain. The ratio of cruising to day sailing and short trips is still to low to justify the cost for me.
Old 06-19-2014

tdoster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery117 View Post
Good information, now that I'm here and still trying to acquire my live aboard, we've had an opportunity to check out the places you've mentioned. One this is certain, the cost is much more affordable here. Over 20/ft in Miami!! Much better here. Of course your cruising ground isn't as great but I'm not going to complain. The ratio of cruising to day sailing and short trips is still to low to justify the cost for me.
Check out Portofino. They are dockominiums, but many for lease. There was a number dumped by a single owner the past couple years, so you might find a good deal. The parking situation is good as long as you get the right slip, and marina is gated.

The best draft marina in Clear Lake/Kemah is Boardwalk, though I would not want to keep my boat there full time for obvious reasons. Southshore is too far in for a sailboat and a bit of a party place. Seabrook is good, and a little (I say little) easier to commute into Houston as NASA Road 1 is faster to 45 and closer to the bridge for the back way. with the exception of Portifino and Boardwalk.

Bayland is new, but not a great location for a liveaboard with nothing around, and you have to fight with the shipping channel where Kemah/Clear Lake there is good day sailing in the bay before hitting the shipping channel. Also not in the best part of town.

Harborwalk is a very nice Marina except the tugs will shoal in the entrance. You would think looking at a map that it would be a good candidate for commute, but the back road to get there is VERY long. There are also nothing around it. Did I mention the lonely road in is long?

Watergate is nice and probably the best family friendly marina with two pools, tennis courts, and not too far in. Waterford is very nice as well and you will find a great deal of people cruising were last based in Waterford.

Galveston should be avoided unless you are retired or work on the island and there are only a couple marinas over there anyway.

Be sure to join the Texas Mariners Cruising Association and you will get the lay of the land (water) in short order as they have many cruises and active members who know the bay very well.

Lakewood Yacht Club is my choice if you are into the Yacht Club scene and lifestyle. They have a number of slips and great facilities.

As a working liveaboard, parking and location of showers is important. Make sure to check how far as all of the marinas there are slips where it is a hike.

There are a couple of services that will come to your slip and pump your holding tank, worth every penny as there are fewer pump outs than you would think in Clear Lake. Without naming names, I liked the one with the Red Fish.

Be it LA, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, etc. you usually figure out in short order that driving 15 miles out of your way may get you to work much faster, and it is just the price you pay.

You will have a love/hate relationship with Houston.

I hate to let out the secret, but from a cost of living standpoint for living aboard and salaries in Houston, there is no better place in the country right now.

Welcome to Texas.