SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Liveaboard - Houston/Galveston (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/121353-liveaboard-houston-galveston.html)

Mystery117 02-06-2014 01:38 PM

Liveaboard - Houston/Galveston

I'm interviewing for a position in Houston, Texas and, it appears we will be moving. I have done a cursory search for marinas in the area. Local knowledge tops it all, however. Like the marina has 7' of water, but the channel rarely has more than 5 1/2. And then there's the occasional discrepancy of what is offered and what is really there. Anyway... we looking to liveaboard and would like to hear from you about the area, the marinas, whatever you can share.
Thanks
Arthur and Sylvie

Letrappes 02-07-2014 08:27 AM

Most of the marinas are around the Kemah / Seabrook area on Clear Lake. If you are actually working in Houston you'll have close to an hour drive each way in rush hour traffic. Galveston is another 30 minutes or so. Not as many marinas there though. I bought my current boat out of Watergate marina in clear lake. They seemed pretty nice around there. Had nice facilities but I didn't leave the boat there long enough to really see the whole place.

My boat draws about 6.5' and I was restricted to the channel until getting a ways out from the bridge at the mouth of the lake. After that you can sail generally anywhere in the bay. It's dirty water but in this area that's what you find. Lots of sailing around there though and I've considered moving the boat back fire a while if I ever buy a house and move back ashore.

Multihullgirl 02-07-2014 09:58 AM

Re: Liveaboard - Houston/Galveston

Stay in Florida.

I used to live in Kemah. Houston is a vile cesspool. I'm not kidding. Cancer rates are through the roof, and the effluent from both the 20-odd miles of refineries and the city itself all flow out through Galveston Bay. Never mind the smog which rivals and surpasses that of Los Angeles.

The above mentioned shallowness is correct. The whole bay is thin water. Kemah/Clear Lake is the marine center of the area.

As for commuting, it sometimes paid to be further out, as one can take the loops around most of the clogged inner-street traffic. For example, it took husband :45 to get to work and some of his co-workers who lived much, much nearer took the same time or more.

BTW took a pay-cut so we could live elsewhere, FWIW

azguy 02-07-2014 11:43 AM

sounds wonderful......:eek:

RainDog 02-07-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multihullgirl (Post 1389922)
I used to live in Kemah. Houston is a vile cesspool. I'm not kidding. Cancer rates are through the roof, and the effluent from both the 20-odd miles of refineries and the city itself all flow out through Galveston Bay. Never mind the smog which rivals and surpasses that of Los Angeles.

Have fun in Houston did you?

Waterford is definitely the nicest Marina in terms of facilities (except maybe the yacht clubs). Portofino or Seabrook Marina are the best in terms of how quick you can be sailing. Also the best for a deep draft boat.

sunnyside 04-10-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multihullgirl (Post 1389922)
Stay in Florida.

Houston is a vile cesspool. I'm not kidding. Cancer rates are through the roof, and the effluent from both the 20-odd miles of refineries and the city itself all flow out through Galveston Bay. Never mind the smog which rivals and surpasses that of Los Angeles.

BTW took a pay-cut so we could live elsewhere, FWIW

I wish that more people believed that, because we would have more room to go sailing by ourselves.

We love Galveston Bay and Houston Area. How do people think that fuel, motor oil, and plastic gets made? Much of our bad air comes from Mexico City especially when they burn their fields. But we have to suffer from federal reg that do nothing to help the air. It just destroys our small engines!

If you move to Houston area and are kind, then you will meet the greatest people in the world that can do anything to help you. Houston feels like a small town and very welcoming.

I was not born here, but I moved here as fast as I could.

RainDog 04-10-2014 01:48 PM

The truth is Houston has clean air for a city its size and the cancer rates in Houston are almost identical to the cancer rates in West Palm Beach.

smackdaddy 04-10-2014 01:59 PM

Our boat is in Watergate. It's a really nice place at what I think is a very good price. I agree with RainDog - Waterford (just around the corner from Watergate) is a step up.

All in all, I really like the place. We draw 5'6". Over 6' is starting to push it for some of these marinas and adjacent channels - but you can find places.

The traffic issue is spot-on. 45 is a freakin' nightmare at rush-hour.

Letrappes 04-11-2014 11:06 AM

I had my boat in Watergate for a little while when I first bought it. I draw 6.5' and never found bottom though I did follow everyone else's lead I where to go. I liked the area and the sailing but a two and a half hour drive was a bit far to go for sailing a couple times a week. I enjoy being able to get to the boat within ten minutes of leaving work. If an offer was presented I don't think I'd have a problem moving to the Kemah area but I have no interest in Houston.

CaseyB 04-11-2014 12:28 PM

I have slipped at Waterford, and Seabrook. I am currently slipped in Galveston yaght Basin down on the island. I will be bringing my boat back up to Kemah for good at the end of the month. I draw 5,2 and have had a few winter days stuck in my slip at waterford. Have never been in the mud at Seabrook. I have found the air to be clean, the people friendly, and the sailing community superb. I find that if you are friendly respectful people, that you will have no problem finding friendly respectful people to hang out with. I do not find the water dirty, however the bay and clear lake have a mud bottom so the color reflected off of the bottom tends to be brownish.

My experience down in Galveston has been poor. Fish heads thrown into the marina from the fisherman, theft and breakins due to the lack of proper security and transiant shrimper population, lack of proper maintanance of docking facilities are a number of things that are causing me to come back up to Kemah. I love Kemah and my year stay down in Galveston has just reaffirmed those feelings.

As far as traffic goes...well there is really no good way to get to work (I work in Sugarland) but I suspect that is the case no matter where you live unless you live across the street from your employer.