Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I use the Verizon wireless internet. It will connect where ever my cell can connect, and in Metro areas (most), will get broadband. It's $60 a month for Verizon wireless customers, but seems worth the expense. It uses a PCMIA card in the laptop to connect with ($50 after rebate).

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2006
Re-Cycled Salt

Location: 8 months/year Barkley Sound, BC - 4 months/year cruise
seamountie is on a distinguished road
In the Pacific Northwest try a company called Broadband Xpress. They supply WiFi exclusively to marinas. Not cheap, but they specialize in hi powered equipment. Google them.

I got their service when I was living at a marina. The card I bought from them was advertised as being 10x as powerful as regular WiFi. Again, their equipment is not cheap - start at C$100 and go from there. But if you cruise their site it may give you some hints or ideas

Richard
S/V Gandalf III
Old 04-25-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They're lying to you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamountie
I got their service when I was living at a marina. The card I bought from them was advertised as being 10x as powerful as regular WiFi. Again, their equipment is not cheap - start at C$100 and go from there. But if you cruise their site it may give you some hints or ideas
I seriously doubt that their equipment is 10x the power of a standard wifi card. The standard cards are 100 milliwatt, the legal limit AFAIK is 200 milliwatt, and there are a few cards that support the 200 milliwatt transmit power, but NONE that support a full WATT of transmit power.
Old 05-28-2006
O Day Owner

seadreamer1940 is on a distinguished road
cell phone

I have a motorola cell phone and bought from the Motorola web site software for my lap top and a cable for less than $70. I also have wifi but on the boat I connect by cell. No special cards needed. Just watch your time on line as cell phone time can get expensive.
Old 06-07-2006

kenyonstewart is on a distinguished road
The main question is whether you have built-in WiFi or a separate card. Most separate cards will have external antenna connections on them. There are plenty of places online that sell different types of antennas, they are the same as the ones for 900Mhz phone signals. If the signal is in direct sight and you get a directional antenna pointed right at it with enough amplification, you should be able to get a signal. There are also repeaters that you could hook it up to instead of your computer and you could provide a signal for youself and everyone around you.
Old 06-07-2006
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Forget directional antennas on a boat

unless you are on a dock. Boats are usually dynamic state, They move all over the place when not at a dock. Directional antennas have to be aimed at each other. Think of a spotlight vs. a flood light. Whgat works best for a boat is a dipole antenna. Sort of looks like your VHF antenna placed up high in the rigging.

That said contrary to what has been said before most WIFI cards do not come with a jack for an external antenna. The exception is if you have a desktop computer onboard.

I found the Buffalo card with a 9 bd gain antenna will give me an effective working rangs of 1.5 miles max. The cost is about 150.00

Fair Winds
Cap'n Dave
Old 06-07-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A lot of wifi cards are available with mmc-x type antenna jacks for external antenna. I have used Lucent/3Com, Cisco, and several other brands. You really do want a 200 mw capable card for this use.

A panel type patch antenna is fairly directional and should work quite well, better than an omni-directional antenna. Most of the panel type antenna have about a 90 degree area of coverage, and that will give you a fair amount of latitude for the boat swinging.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-03-2009

Paolaa is on a distinguished road
WIFI antenna

Hello everybody!!

I am looking for an internet antenna .
I found this one on internet
Buy Wireless antenna,WiFi Antenna,2.4Ghz 5Ghz Wlan Antenna,RF connector,RF pigtail cable,Lightning Protector,802.11 a/b/g, Omni ,panel ,yagi ,Grid antenna

Do you know it?
Can you give me any advice?

Thanks

Paola
Old 11-03-2009

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
I would avoid anything USB as the drivers are very flaky. I have tried several brands and none are stable. I would suggest the Ubiquiti products. this is a really old discussion, but there are a few that discuss teh NanoStation2. I use the NanoStation2loco it was under $50 and works really well, is weather proof, and is powered by power over ethernet, so there is only one wire leading to the antenna/radio unit. I went from a 1 megabit connection that was in and out to a full 54 megabit connection. It can run for weeks, and likely longer but I do a lot of torrents so that equals hundreds of connections and that seems to bother any wireless device. But for normal use I would imagine it would be stable for years without rebooting. I got mine here:

NanoStation loco - NanoStation loco 802.11B/G 8dbi CPE

No business connection, just a happy customer. Actually had the best customer service I have ever experience. They have a product called a bullit that allows more choice on the antenna, but you don't want anything to directional on a boat, as you are moving and your signal will go in and out with a very directional antenna.
Old 12-20-2009

stpabr is on a distinguished road
Helped a friend install this antenne on his 47' Vagabond's mizzin mast (Looks like a 4' VHF). USBAdapter is a WiFi booster and software. My PC hardly connected, sitting down below, with my Dell built in WiFi, to the Marina's Free WiFi. His new system connected and stayed at 38 - 54 Mbs, plus picked up over a dozen other connectins within the 5000 - 6000 ft range.

Buy Wireless antenna,WiFi Antenna,2.4Ghz 5Ghz Wlan Antenna,RF connector,RF pigtail cable,Lightning Protector,802.11 a/b/g, Omni ,panel ,yagi ,Grid antenna
12 meter cable : 1000mW USB adapter + OMNI 15dBi + Lightning Protector + 12m/40ft
Reference Distance around 5100~6000 feet
Original price was $179.35, now is $167.80
mdi and slax like this.