Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006

waynemonastra is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi there

Im new to this site (about half an hour new ) and read with great interest about your problem.
I live in New Zealand on my Moonraker26 and have been a liveaboard for 1 week so far so good. Im glad i dont have the problems at my local marina. I will be paying about $70 a month over here and that allows me full access to shore facilites eg shower, storage, shore power etc, although It is not a large marina like Auckland ( they do charge high prices) Im very lucky and i think to myself if and when they ever rebuild the marina and update things am I (and other liveaboards) going to be in the same boat., and have to pay for the high prices. Im lucky in my job ( as a chef ) that i dont have to rely on what the shore provides so much as i dont need much, so im hoping that by the end of may my boat will be able to cut the ties for good and be completly self suficant.
If i have to pay the high prices that means less money in my pocket and and less money for my future travel. However Im aware of what is happening over yourway and will have enough money ( i hope) saved up to be able to pay for a few days here and there for a berth at your local marina.
It a hard one as im not in your situation (yet) and dread the day that it comes to out marina. but I hope to be ready for when it does. ( i think that it is still cheaper than the cost of day to day living onshore In nz prices anyway).

Im sure this debate will rage on for a long time to come.

Cheers

Wayne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2006

Hawkeye25 is on a distinguished road
Experiments in Hospitality

All around the cruising world there are constant adjustments in the hospitality afforded cruisers. Not long ago, I heard that Marathon was facing a devastaing financial burden. The estimates ran as high as 185 derelict or abandoned vessels, some sunk, others sinking, in Boot Key Harbor. They had been completely and warmly hospitable and now they were facing the bill. Do the math - 3000 to 5000 each to remove and dispose of the boats. Consider the tiny population of Marathon and figure how much each taxpayer is going to have to poney up to pay that bill.

It's not fair. Just a couple of months ago, we all watched (in Palmetto) as a young couple launched their little sailboat and rowed out to the anchorage and anchored it. They left and we expected to see them coming back and forth to fix it up and sail it. No way. They were dumping it. It broke loose and damaged the public dock. The police tied it up and searched for the owner. The city repaired the dock. More wasted money. Finally, the sheriff hauled the boat and had to store it for a while before disposal because the law says they have to. We all pay for that, and it affects the hospitality we can expect from the affected communities.

The fees charged at Marathon will take years to offset the cost of installing and maintaining the moorings, and I cannot imagine the project of cleaning up the harbor. I am glad it is going on, though, and will be there a little later on. Maybe I can volunteer a little help.
Old 05-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It's a shame that the owners of the vessels in question aren't stepping up and paying to have their derelicts removed.
Old 05-04-2006
Been here awhile Member

NicPreller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to NicPreller Send a message via Skype™ to NicPreller
I wonder if there is a market, elsewhere in the world for old and unwanted boats?
Old 05-06-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
It would seem that they could do something like what is done with abandoned cars, where they tag them after a certain amount of time, then haul them away. Granted, many people don't go to their boats as often as others. but it would seem that if some contact number was required to take up a mooring, then the owner could be notified of any imminent action regarding their boat. Also, cost of removal could be included in any lease for a mooring.

Every so often, the removed boats could be put up for auction, thereby recouping some of the cost.

I don't really know how feasible such a plan would be, but it seems evident that currently there is no real impetus for owners not to abandon their boats.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-06-2006

car1260 is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, too many people.............
Old 06-17-2006

lonebull is on a distinguished road
I cruised through Marathon about a year ago now. Ran into a few other cruisers that I had not seen in awhile. I initially went in to hold up for weather and ended up staying a month. It was like a motor home park for boaters. Within walking distance is a Home Depot, super market, restaurants, etc. There was a floating poop boat that cleaned out the holding tank for $5. The marina office personnel were helpful and respectful. There was a book swap library, washers and dryers, community television, community shop (for a fee). Marine patrol moored on site and ..well..patrolled. After having spent so much time on the hook I found it to be a relaxing place to hang. I didn't feel I was being watched anymore than usual (we boaters are an oddity to land based animals, so they stare sometimes). All in all Marathon was one of the most boater friendly communities I've been to. As for working and living aboard there, it doesn't seem crazy at all. A lot of people are doing just that. Know this.....there will be good and bad in any place you go, it will be very difficult for you to focus on one and still see the other.
Old 06-19-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
I understand what Hawkeye is saying. I think a town like Marathon has the right to regulate and charge for the long term boat moorings. Its an unfair tax issue to me. These long term residents are not entitled to special treatment just because their "house" floats. To me it's no different than an illegal trailer park popping up in the field behind your house and the tenants getting mad because you complained when they ran a water hose from your house to their trailer. Its all about perspective.

Last edited by Surfesq; 06-19-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2006

ahmetb is on a distinguished road
It is an issue of neglect by the government. All boats are reqired to have serial numbers. Without them, you can not register, or document a boat. Through these serial numbers, boat owners should be traced. There should be fees, and penalties for abandoning a boat. I find it difficult to believe that it is such an impossible task to find people who abandon their boats.
Now if they go to the extreme of grinding out the serial numbers, that should be counted as a misdemeanor !
Old 06-19-2006

tadd16 is on a distinguished road
how bad are these boats? can someone come and get one to fix up?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.