Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2006

jimmyd is on a distinguished road
everybody thinks im nuts !!!!

Hello to all....i am getting ready to move onboard my 28 footer...and sail down to the Keys...probably end up in Marathon (Boot Key Harbor)...and look for work in the restaurant biz ....and see what its like to hang there for the summer...have day sailed for years and want to make the move now....all my friends think the boat is tooooo small....and yada yada yada...boat is in great shape ....and its been a life long dream....it would be nice to hear from those who have done it on small boats and hear possitive feedback....PS ...any input from those in the Keys would be great !!!!

Last edited by jimmyd; 04-22-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2006

TheStorm is on a distinguished road
I beat you, though: I'm planning to live aboard my Aloha-27 with my wife: in Toronto and yes, even in the winter! And hopefully within a few years, sail her down the IC to Florida, too. At least our first trip, anyway.
Old 03-16-2006

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Just you? No spouse or significant other to complain about the cramped quarters? You've got it made, that's plenty of room for one. Get a good cockpit awning to put over the boom, and with comfortable cockpit cushions, you now have a living room separate from your galley and sleeping quarters (and cooler too). You'll be ashore working, you'll probably get most meals at the restaurant, your friends will trade you free showers and use of their cars, bikes, washer/dryer, big-screen TV, etc., for a nice sail or two

Have fun. Living on a boat, the whole world's your yard, so you don't feel confined, and in summer in the Keys, you've got good (though hot) weather, so you're not cooped up. The same amount of living space in a trailer would make one homicidal, but not on a boat in a resort town.

Your friends are just jealous. So am I.
Old 03-16-2006
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
not nuts at all!

Figure out what you need to have so you feel like you're at home and not camping out. Onboard showers? An oven? A separate nav station? As long as that fits on your boat, you have it made. It can be done. Besides, smaller boats are more fun to sail -- and more likely to be paid off! FTR, we're two people and a 55-lb dog and winter clothes (ugh!) on a 33-footer going on our 4th year.

Just got back from Key West, via 747 unfortunately, only had a little time off from our day jobs in Washington DC. You might check the business climate; a lot of places in the Keys were hit pretty hard by Wilma. With the main floors of many hotels still damaged, tourism's down.
Old 03-16-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I'm moving aboard in April. Had first looked at a 28 footer, but found a 32 that fit my budget and taste. Nothing crazy about it, if it's what you want to do.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2006

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
I just want to tell you that Marathon is not a frindly place to live aboard. They are changing it into a coltly place to live. If you have a mooring it is now about $225 dollars per month plus dingie dockage $70 water is $.05 cents a gallon. They check you out run checks on you to see who you are, they watch your movement and get into your life watching you with cameras and other survalance. This is not the laid back place it use to be. You have to use the City Marina to dock your dingy because everything else is closed to boaters,you aint welcome here. This is a place for rich people even though some of are hangin on. They are adding 160 new moorings so they will cover the whole harbor and you can't anchor any more. Cakching goes the Citys cash regester. Sorry to bring bad vibes.
Old 04-13-2006

to sailnaway

its not bad vibes you send ...its pariniod BS from someone who OBVIOUSLY thinks that because you own a boat ...the world owes you something for nothing....yes they have a mooring field and you have to PAY for it if you want it ...and the dink dock too....and 5 cents a gallon for water is not so bad...but you seem to think you should get all this for free...perhaps you are living in the past ... and as to your thoughts about the city marina checking you out and watching YOU.... are way off base ....i have been there about a month now ...NO ONE has boarded my boat ...NO ONE has checked me out in any way shape or form....what i think they do is keep all the scum bags out of the harbor and the thiefs who pray on boaters....they provide a service for boaters who want it ..and yes its sad but true ...YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.... this is 2006 by the way ....the 60s are gone and not coming back !!!!!!!....but YOU are not alone ...there are a few on other meesage boards who whin and complain about the fact that as a boater they have to pay for some things ....and that people with money are taking over the keys and other areas....how about waking up and smelling the coffee...that is a fact of life and always has been as far as i know....its an old battle of the haves and have nots....you probably complain about paying taxes too...while you drive down paved roads ...sent your kids to schools....are protected somewhat by police...and enjoy all the other wonderful things a free country has to offer ...are you under the false illusion that all this should be free too...because you own a boat !!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Avast there jimmyd

This board is for peoples opinions, and their knowledge. Just because someone has an opinion of something you don't agree with is no reason to lay into them for it. While "progress" may be unavoidable, and a fact of life, that doesn't mean you have to like it. It would have been sufficent to merely say you disagreed with sailnaway, instead of lambasting him. Generalizations and stereotyping are for politicans, not sailors.

Respectfully

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 04-13-2006

PERHAPS your right .....its that i tire of all the negitive nonsence i read on some of the boards....im not a politics guy...just a realist.....
Old 04-13-2006

My Apologies

if i have offended sailinaway or anyone else with my opinion ...i apologize....i have lived in florida all my life and while progress is not always benificial to ones self interest ...i feel as though we all live in a wonderfull place and should be thankful for it...