Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago

slipslidingaway is on a distinguished road
looking for marina Chesapeake bay

Hey all
This is my first time posting here. I just bought a large enough sailboat to live on and I'm looking for a marina on Chesapeake bay and I'm hoping to get some suggestions of which marinas have good laid back communities. I work in the Columbia area so Annapolis, or Baltimore would work, and anywhere in between. I don't see myself as the Yacht club kind of guy though so that's where the laid back part comes in. So if anyone can weigh in on which places are friendly and easy going places for a new live aboard to live, I'd appreciate the input.
Thanks

Last edited by slipslidingaway; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:04 PM. Reason: I want to be more specific in the post title
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 3 Weeks Ago

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for marina

Congrats! Annapolis proper is expensive and I don't know who permits live a boards. Liberty Marina on South River might be an option. Its close to Rt 50, but 97 can be a bear! Others can chime in on the Magothy and Baltimore.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsaronson For This Useful Post:
slipslidingaway (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

thanks jsaronson
I read on the websites for Port Annapolis and Annapolis Landing that they allow live a boards so I was going to check those two places out to start. Visiting though won't really give me much of an idea of the community though. I'll check out Liberty, and the Magothy area as well. It can be pretty overwhelming on Activecaptain going through all of the options. So are you at Liberty? And is it a more laid back community? I don't own a captains hat or a blazer with a coat of arms or anything, although my girlfriend would like nothing better than to put me in one of those hats and hear me recite Ted Knights line from Caddyshack. You know, "when your ship comes in" etc....
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipslidingaway View Post
Hey all
This is my first time posting here. I just bought a large enough sailboat to live on and I'm looking for a marina on Chesapeake bay and I'm hoping to get some suggestions of which marinas have good laid back communities. I work in the Columbia area so Annapolis, or Baltimore would work, and anywhere in between. I don't see myself as the Yacht club kind of guy though so that's where the laid back part comes in. So if anyone can weigh in on which places are friendly and easy going places for a new live aboard to live, I'd appreciate the input.
Thanks
Welcome aboard, congrats on the new boat, welcome to the life.
Edit your post title and include your area. I was about to suggest something in Puget Sound for you.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave_E For This Useful Post:
Old 3 Weeks Ago

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

My boat is on the hard at Liberty. It is not fancy, but seems to be well maintained. There is a pool.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

A little farther commute (I also work in Columbia) but a nice place for live-aboards, is Herrington Harbor North. Pretty decent community of liveaboards there. We are planning to move aboard this summer and will be doing the Columbia trip from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to paperbird For This Useful Post:
Old 3 Weeks Ago

thanks Paperbird
It sounds like you know Harrington pretty well then? I am going out the next few days to visit marinas. So far I have Magothy and Port Annapolis on my list to visit. I'll check out the map to see if Harrington is close enough to squeeze in too.
Thanks again
Rick
Old 3 Weeks Ago

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I don't have any specific options for you, just some general suggestions. One note too is to actually visit the marina. Many will say no over the phone. Also photos of a well maintained boat to show the marina manager can help. (assuming it looks good to start with) Many marinas are tired of having to deal with derelict boats, so the easy thing to do is just say no. If you show up in person and appear to be well groomed, and well employed they often take a different view. One marina I went to had said no over the phone, but when I was there in person the girl said, "Oh lots of folks live aboard, no problem." Another one said they did not allow it, but I could call it staying on the boat a lot as he smiled. I could tell he did not care at all, but I would not want to be a "sneak aboard" (one who lives aboard without permission from marina that does not allow it) as you could loose your slip with no return of paid slip rent.

Another thing to look out for when living aboard, is the quality of facilities. If the electric goes out all the time for a day sailor it means showing up to warm beer and soda, but for you it could be spoiled food! Also poor electric can cause a lot of maintenance issues. Other facilities are really up to you as to how much you want. Personally I could live with pretty primitive facilities, but laundry would be nice, clean bathrooms a necessity.
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
Old 3 Weeks Ago
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

slip,

We've been at HHN for 2 seasons now. Lots of boats - I think there are 1200 slips at North if I remember correctly. Facilities are resort level. Pool, showers, exercise room, TV rooms, on-prem West marine, lots of contractors, etc. Staff is also very nice and helpful. Of course that comes with a price. Not Annapolis (where we live now) prices, but still higher than others.

The reason we've really enjoyed it is the people. Lots of cruisers, past and wanna-bes. We've been able to learn a lot from those around us as we've been doing our refit.

As miata said - go there in person. Stop in the office. And then walk the docks and look at the boats and meet the people. Just like picking a neighborhood - since it will be.
The Following User Says Thank You to paperbird For This Useful Post:
Old 3 Weeks Ago

MarioG is on a distinguished road

Annapolis landing is a good liveaboard marina . I do think Ferry point marina on the Magathy might be worth a look.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.