Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2014
Don't Call Me Railmeat

vmasthead is on a distinguished road
Boat Sitting - Is it really an outrageous proposition?

Hi all,

First time posting here but have been patrolling the forums for a few years of advice. I'll be honest, the Chartering forum saved my ass a lot of trouble on my first charter in March. Anyway, I'm looking to gauge your opinions of "boat sitting" for someone in my position (and a friend too).

I found a thread on this topic from a few years ago, and that guy got righteously chewed up. Curious whether I'd see the same denial too.

Here's the situation: I'm a recent college graduate, with a degree in Neuroscience from Univ. of Pittsburgh, and in the interim of med school in a few years I plan to sail, travel, volunteer, have fun, and spend all my money doing so.

I'm a confident sailor, and have my own little charter business for college students down in the Abacos, Bahamas as skipper. I also have heaps of racing and cruising experience on a plethora of other vessels. I'm working on a project currently for a nonprofit, Sail Future (google it, I can't post links yet) which will involve long-term bluewater cruising for disadvantaged youth and volunteer projects in the Caribbean. I've got my ASA up to Bareboat Cruising, US Sailing Level 1 Instructor, and enough experience (and very close to enough days) to complete my 6-pack requirements as well.

Anyway, I'm in between housing arrangements having graduated and looking to move out of this deadbeat Pittsburgh apartment ASAP. I'd like to see if the prospect of "boat sitting" is outrageous if I can offer the following to an owner:

A - Keep your vessel tidy. Wood upkeep, washing off bird ****, sweep up, pump out, etc
B - Perform as needed repairs/maintenance. I do plan on living aboard after all. I have experience with marine plumbing, electrical, diesel engines, and fiberglass. Understand I'm just getting my feet wet in the liveaboard lifestyle though, but I can figure it all out.
C - Pay your dock/marina fees, and the additional "liveaboard" fee too.
D - Sail your boat. So she doesn't get lonely sitting at a dock all the time.
E - Keep your fridge stocked with beer. And not that cheap crap.
F - Not host crazy parties aboard your vessel...without your permission, of course.
G - Not clog the heads.

Yes I've tossed around the idea of just picking up a cheap 30 footer and docking her somewhere to liveaboard, but realistically I'll be sailing the Caribbean with Sail Future in a few months and it's not so practical for me to own a boat while that's occurring.

So, thoughts? Am I asking for too much? What else can I offer? Would you consider letting me spend a month on your vessel?

Thanks for your opinions. Feel free to swing punches, I really do value everyone's input.

Vinny M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2014

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat Sitting - Is it really an outrageous proposition?

I have a friend that got a gig like that. For $400 a week he lived on and cared for the owners boat, and had it ready for the owner when he arrived. He also crewed when the owner took it out. The boat was inNY near the city, but my friend also brought it up to Port Clyde Maine for the owner to vacation. He said the owner was great, but when the wife was on board she treated him like a servant. So there are opportunities like that out there.
Old 07-20-2014
Don't Call Me Railmeat

vmasthead is on a distinguished road

I can live with being treated like a servant...but probably not for $400/week.
Old 07-20-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Not a chance in hell.
jameswilson29 and StormBay like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-20-2014

Slayer is on a distinguished road

Its not a lot of money, but other than two weeks vacation, the owner pretty much just used the boat on weekends. So for most of the time my friend got paid to live there and could take the boat out when he wanted. Also he had just graduated college and was working on getting his captains license. It was perfect for him at the time. Eventually he and the owner worked out a deal where my friend was allowed to take the boat to the BVI's and charter it (captained) for the winter. But my point was to just answer your question about whether there are opportunities out there by giving you an example I knew of.
Old 07-21-2014

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road

I'm not ready yet, but I'd entertain the idea.. You see, I'm a merchant mariner and work in the Gulf for four weeks out and four in. I am getting my boat ready to live aboard at the moment but will be heading that way, Caribbean, next year. My plan is to leave the boat where ever and fly back to work and then fly back to the boat when I'm off. So I'm looking at leaving it at a mooring or dock for a month, or have someone tend to it, such as yourself. I'd have to meet you, sail with you for a while before I just hand over the keys and tell you "to wash the windows and fill her up" so to speak.

But like I said, I'm not against the idea.. Just need to get everyone acquainted.
Old 07-21-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

So, basically, you get all the benefits of boat ownership without the cost?

What a wonderful, self-serving arrangement!
StormBay likes this.
Old 07-21-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
So, basically, you get all the benefits of boat ownership without the cost?

What a wonderful, self-serving arrangement!
Better yet, I think he expects the owner to pay him for his "services".
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-21-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

When I read slayer's first post I understood that the sitter was paying the owner $400/week... I could see that. After the second post, it seems that the sitter was getting PAID to stay on the boat. Where do I sign up for that deal?

FWIW; I HAVE my captains license, and am an ASA Instructor through 105 (see my sig.). I am currently unemployed, after 25+ years in sales and training positions in the (computer) storage and networking fields. I was also employed fixing boats until recently (until I tore my ACL), and specialize in electrical, mechanical, and plumbing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 07-21-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

There are lots of yacht management companies that do all you propose for the boat without living on the boat or taking it out and cost less. You'll have to come up with something to differentiate yourself from those services and justify making even $400/wk.

Good luck.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.