Is the Newport 27' a suitable liveaboard for a small family? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago

cliffwilliams is on a distinguished road
Is the Newport 27' a suitable liveaboard for a small family?

Hello,
First post!
My wife and I met sailing square rigged tallships (lady washington/hawaiian chieftan) and fell in love with the sea, she turned me on to the book "Sailing the Farm" and we have since dreamed of sea-steading. We now have one one year old son
I recently found a Newport 27' in my price range that looks great - I plan on doing some work on it (modifying living spaces, installing solar panels, aftcabin greenhouse etc), so I don't see us using it as a liveaboard until my son is at least four...
It looks really roomy on the inside (sleeps five, in bunks presumably), but...it's only 27'. That being said, I'm about to start school and my wife works so It's not like we'll all be on her all day...until we head out to sea!
Do you think this would be suitable for me my wife and four year old son? My wife and I are good at confined spaces; after working on the boats for 4 months we moved into a dodge caravan for 8 months!
Any information's appreciated! sorry to give too much from my end

Preemptively thanking y'all for your time!

Last edited by cliffwilliams; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:50 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Is the Newport 27' a suitable liveaboard for a small family?

Are you looking for an endorsement of your parenting? Meet with a child psychologist or family counselor to discuss your plans.

Worried about violating the law? Consult with a family law lawyer in your jurisdiction, or better yet, call the state department of social services for your city or county for their view and/or input.

Many would think that is o.k., particularly on a forum like this - imaginary-sailing-make-believe-happy land; many would disapprove for various valid reasons, particularly given the small size of the boat for a family.

The controlling standard in custody cases in Virginia is the best interests of the child. That is a useful standard for other purposes, as well.

I believe, you, as a good parent, should put your child's best interests above your own desires.

So, do you believe it is in your child's best interests for you to live aboard a Newport 27?

Why don't you state the pros and cons here so we can better evaluate your motives, interests, values and priorities?

...or do you really just want approval and not any opinions contrary to your own?

Last edited by jameswilson29; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:35 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks for your reply. I definitely welcome all opinions, I'm not here for a pat on the back.
I'm definitely not seeking endorsements of my parenting and I regret inadvertently implying otherwise.
I am also not worried about violating laws. I know a couple families who live on boats and have become relatively well versed with the pertinent regulations.
To clarify, My wife's and my dream of sea-steading was for when we have a child which we now do. I definitely think it's in my child's best interest to live on a sailboat when he's around 4 years old (depending on how he develops) though I know as he grows, we will want to give him a more stable school/friend/home environment. I absolutely do not plan on living as a family on a 27' boat for decades...

What I dont know is if a 27' cruiser with an augmented cabin would be big enough - I'm hoping that someone has lived aboard a similar vessel and can relate their experiences.
My motives, interests, and values? To be able to travel to nearby places along the west coast, teach my son to sail and all the life lessons that accompany, reduce my families tax on the earth a little, learn as a family about ocean conservation and marine biology, and have a novel experience together as a family. My priorities are my and my family's well being.
Please try to refrain from such stark sarcasm, all I could really gather from your response is that you think 27' is too small...did I read that correctly?

Thanks again.

Last edited by cliffwilliams; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 4 Weeks Ago

p.s. do you know of a forum that is not, as you say, "imaginary-sailing-make-believe-happy land"? I was hoping that this forum would be populated by people with extensive sailing experience...
Old 4 Weeks Ago

capttb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is the Newport 27' a suitable liveaboard for a small family?
It wouldn't suit me, and while I don't know what "sea steading" and "aft cabin greenhouses" are, doesn't seem like you'd have room for that and the "solar panels".
Old 4 Weeks Ago

TB, thanks very much for your reply!
sea-steading is like home steading but on the sea...an aft cabin greenhouse is just a greenhouse of whatever size towards the stern.
Can you suggest a more suitable vessel? I've heard good things about the catalina 30, but that's only three feet more - maybe a 35' cruiser?

Thanks again

Last edited by cliffwilliams; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 4 Weeks Ago
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

A Cat 30 is 3 feet longer BUT it is a whole lot more boat. I had a Catalina 30 and my kids and I would spend almost every day on it, for about 3 to 5 hours. The kids enjoyed the time aboard but we always went home for the night. At the time they were 6 and 8 years old, they have always been aboard boats since they were born. They are now 23 and 25 and still like going out for a sail. We have been without a boat for around 17 years and I picked up a Coronado 25 last summer, after some refurbishing we have been sailing several times, we are now ready to weekend on it. First overnight (not at the slip) will be at Catalina Island, probably the second week of August. I believe that a minimum of 10 feet per person and with a child add 5 feet to that for live aboard. Also if your going to live aboard with a child you better be prepared invest in water safety lessons and your going to need a budget for kayaks, sailing dinghies, and snorkeling equipment etc.. and your going to be doing a lot of sailing, your boat will have to be seaworthy so scratch the greenhouse. The ocean will become your child's playground. Be Ready

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

socal, thanks for the reply!
I'm from LA originally, I used to looooove sailing out to Catalina; those channel islands are so gorgeous what a place to go skin/scuba diving too...
The water safety lessons are a given, the snorkels are lined up, I appreciate your reminder about the dinghy, but can you explain why kayaks are a necessity?
re: the greenhouse, quite a few people have sailed across the pacific with aft cabin greenhouses, there are designs for seaworthy greenhouses available. Even if you don't plan on going that route, "sailing the farm" is a very interesting read, written by a guy who sailed around the world with an aft cabin greenhouse and all sorts of innovative stuff before he paused to write
With your 10+10+5 rule that puts me at 25'; I don't know why but 27' somehow seems better than 25...Do you think the Newport 27' is pushing it and I should go for the Cat 30? The reason I ask about the Newport is because a friend wants to upgrade and will sell me his nearly flawless newport for 5000usd...

thanks again!
Old 4 Weeks Ago

P.S. most of our time will be spent moored (there is very affordable live-aboard moorage close to our work/school) so we'll have shore heads/showers and there's an awesome playground by the docks. The longest we'd be at sea would be 3 days or so, but rarely more than a day or two - we'd mainly go up and down the west coast, along which we have many friends to visit. I say this to refute any possible misconception that the three of us will be on the boat all day every day

Last edited by cliffwilliams; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:24 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 4 Weeks Ago
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I'm kind of partial towards the C30 for the amount of room you get for a boat that size. There should be plenty of them along the west coast as that's where the company began. Resale should be easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Tags
children , family , liveaboard sailboat , newport 27 , washington sailing marina