Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006

EveningStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to EveningStar
Finally Moving Aboard!!!

Dear Friends,

It is with a warm glow that would rival the power of the sun I can finally say we're almost aboard. My daughters (4yr and 2yr) and I will be aboard our 1986 Catalina 30 Walkabout by next week and out of our apartment officially the first of the month. We all are enjoying the new life that being on the water and closer to nature brings (closer to the great parks and playgrounds of Sarnia Ontario in the kid's mind's...lol).

I would love to hear from anyone regarding there life aboard, especially regarding organization, and storage issues in the smaller liveaboard situations such as mine. Catalina made a wonderful yacht and I wouldn't trade it for anything else of the size, but storage was certainly over-looked, especially for 3. The kid's are really only with me 3 or 4 days of the week...hopefully more often soon.

Look forward to hearing from the group, you are all wonderful.

Sincerely
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2006

kclaybrook is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Moving Aboard

Congratulations on the move. I am truly jealous. If I could talk my wife into it, I'd follow suit.
Old 05-18-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Congratulations! Having moved aboard myself just last month, I know somewhat of how you feel.

Unfortunately, the C 30 wasn't built as a liveaboard type boat. Hence the lack of storage. The first thing I would suggest, is that as you find places for stuff, you make an inventory of where you put it. Since most things will be out of sight, not to mention, out of the way places, that will make it much easier to retrieve them.

One thing I did, I put all my clothes that weren't going to be used regularly, in the 2 gallon sized ziploc bags, so they could be easily stored in odd places. Right now, I have them filling the side rails in the vee berth. If you have a hanging locker, you might want to consider putting in shelves instead, as that will add much more usable space. Since I'm assuming that you are staying at a marina, and still working, you can use your car for some things. Particularly, as you work out how to use the space you have on the boat. And keep in mind, this isn't a house, but a boat, so things don't always have a certain place they should go. For instance, I use the seat under the vee berth filler for my towels, and in front of it, two tool cases. Plus, rather than have one big tool box, I have several small ones, so they can fit in different places. You just have to be creative, and not expect everything to necessarily be together, just because it's similar stuff.

Hope that helps a bit

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The other problem with hanging lockers is chafe. If you think about it, that can destroy most of your hanging clothes quite quickly, as the boat rocks back and forth, the clothes will rub against each other.... shelves definitely make more sense.
Old 05-18-2006
Catalina 38 Avantura

duffer1960 is on a distinguished road
We lived abord briefly on Lake Erie. One thing we did was buy an old van to store stuff we didn't always need but wanted nearby (power tools, roller blades, some kids toys...). One thing I wanted to do to it was add some cabinets and a clothes bar to organize things a little better, but I never got around to it. For the winter, before shrink-wrapping the boat, I framed in the cockpit and insulated it to give us an extra room for the winter. This made a great difference. I also removed the wheel and added a closet rod across the back, and hooks on the wall for coats. I ran a set of rope lights around the upper edge for lighting and it worked great.
Catalina 38, Hull #112
"AVANTURA"
Lake Erie
Grosse Ile, Michigan
Old 05-18-2006

bilkid13 is on a distinguished road
Can you sew? Make some pillow cases by putting two pieces of fabric together and adding a zipper at the end. Fill the pillow cases with clothing, socks, gloves, scarfs, etc. and leave them on top of the bunks or at the ends of the settee. If you're really good at sewing, add a band of fabric between the two pieces to add thickness and volume and make them look a little neater.

Diana
Old 05-18-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Another useful item that I forgot was the little gear hammocks that West Marine sells.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-18-2006

EveningStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to EveningStar
Hey there all...

It's great to hear from all of you. So nice to know I have such wonderful support here. I'll be home tomorrow and convert my hanging locker into shelves first thing. I must admit, for as excited as I am to finally be "living the dream" I forget that it's not a house and I don't have to organize things the same. I have to remember to think out of the box...all pun intended....lol. Thanks for all the great ideas and keep them coming.
Old 05-18-2006

barely is on a distinguished road
Congrats!

Hi ES,
I hope to be doing the same in a few months, after the refit is complete. You will be amazed at all the holes you can find to store (and forget) stuff. One of the better devices I have found is the "vacuum bag" storage systems, available just about everywhere. They can hold a large amount of soft goods, and suck down to minute packages for storing. I used mine for clothing, linens, towels, etc. Placing a dryer sheet in the bag before closing keeps everything fresh, and moisture is kept away. It's a wonderful thing to pull a bag out after a nasty journey when everything else on the boat is damp...
I would try and find the thicker plastic version, they hold up better to the boat environment. A quick suck with the vacuum and your comforter looks like a vinyl album.
Enjoy the freedom,
Buen Vento, fair winds
Old 05-18-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Might be a good idea to make the shelves out of wire mesh or nylon mesh, so the clothes and things stored on them can have good ventilation. Moisture is a constant enemy of things stored on most sailboats... and good ventilation is generally the only defense.