Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2014

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Dental and medical care while cruising.

Over the last 7 years of cruising we have visited dentist in several countries between Panama, Trinidad and Canada, usually receiving reasonably priced good quality dental care.

Today in Panama City, Panama Nell had a wisdom tooth extracted in a modern office, by an excellent dentist for a total cost of $90! The entire visit too less than an hour.

Three years ago we both had extensive work done by an excellent Mexican dentist for 30% of US cost.

Dental care at reasonable prices is one of the perks of cruising.

Phil
MedSailor and manelze like this.

Last edited by Yorksailor; 09-16-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2014
El Chupa Nibre

Mr. Bubs is on a distinguished road
re: Dental and medical care while cruising.

This is something that I have always wondered about. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-17-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

As mentioned above, very reasonable dental care available. Had dental work done in Mexico and Thailand. First class care and often the dentist had been trained in the US. Yearly check up and teeth cleaning is 25 bucks here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 09-17-2014

paikea is on a distinguished road

What I also wonder about often is how many people actually cruise without health insurance.
Not really fitting with the thread Yorksailor, sorry.
Man is the dream of the dolphin.”
Old 09-17-2014

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Medical care while cruising.

Unless you have a massive budget to buy worldwide health insurance which includes the USA then ensuring comprehensive medical care can be very difficult.

We maintain excellent 'repatriation insurance' through Divers Alert Network (you do not have to be a scuba diver) and good insurance in the USA via Medicare and Obama Care both of which have proved to be excellent over the last year. However, this combination might not work if you need emergency surgery in a foreign country. My Medicare supplement includes $50,000 of emergency coverage outside the US but for Nell we would have to pay cash!

While medical care is often good and much cheaper outside the USA without comprehensive health insurance, and many cruisers have no health insurance, you are courting disaster. One friend had a $40,000 bill when his appendix burst and caused serious complications and another friend had to be airlifted out of Grenada because the health care services in Grenada were inadequate to take care of a very serious injury.

Please let this thread be a source of information, personal experiences with foreign medical care and how cruisers can best provide health care for themselves and not a tirade against US medical costs and Obama Care. Also while many of us are US citizens I would also like to learn how other nationalities handle the health care problem.

I plan to add to this thread as I have time and gain useful information.

Phil
Melrna and paikea like this.
Old 09-17-2014

Re: Medical care while cruising.

very useful thread!
The Following User Says Thank You to paikea For This Useful Post:
Yorksailor (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Self-help resources:

"When There Is No Doctor," David Werner, Carol Thuman, Jane Maxwell

Ship Captain's Medical Guide, GOV.UK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Multihullgirl For This Useful Post:
paikea (09-17-2014), Yorksailor (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Many cruise without medical insurance because the costs of seeing a doctor are miniscule compared to seeing one at home. (On private ins in Australia).

As the OP says, the treatment was excellent. The doctors and dentists the cruisers go to are really very good... Or word gets around.

Also the cruising lifestyle is very healthy.

My total health expenses for 6 years adrift are about $400 and that includes removal of a non cancerous tumor on my back by a proper surgeon.

After reading that thread the other day about all the crap people want to take in their medical kit - its value is much higher than most will ever spend on medical on a round the world cruise.
MikeOReilly likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Many cruise without medical insurance because the costs of seeing a doctor are miniscule compared to seeing one at home. (On private ins in Australia).

As the OP says, the treatment was excellent. The doctors and dentists the cruisers go to are really very good... Or word gets around.

Also the cruising lifestyle is very healthy.

My total health expenses for 6 years adrift are about $400 and that includes removal of a non cancerous tumor on my back by a proper surgeon.

After reading that thread the other day about all the crap people want to take in their medical kit - its value is much higher than most will ever spend on medical on a round the world cruise.
Thank you Mark. In the end this is a risk each person will assess to take or not. Or simply put have no choice other times.
I agree the cruising life is overall healthy, or at least it could be. Overall people should try to lead healthy lives regardless they are on land or at sea. Ok, I wont start on that, I am a bit of a nutcase when it comes to healthy living, health related aspects. You start me on that subject at one point you will be looking for something to shut me up.

However, I respectfully disagree, on the first aid kit. A lot of minor situations, or minor accidents can easily be kept minor with the right well researched first aid kit, and without they can easily turn into serious situations. Not to mention a lot of other inconvenient situations that would just make someone's life miserable otherwise.
Especially when traveling to different areas around the world, one gets exposed to all sort of pathogens that the body still need to be introduced to, or overcome with a bit of help.
Its hard to select a first aid kit when you trek mountains, you have to be minimal, and look at the weight of it and the size of it, but on a boat, one could put a good kit together, especially if one travels far and long and especially of one doesn't want to depend on doctors.
Its also often a state of mind. Get too worked up over what can go bad and wrong and voila, they happen.
A balance there is the best approach, a good kit, a healthy life style, and a good state of mind.
Old 09-17-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I have been cruising for 13 years.

The ONLY country I buy health care insurance for is the USA. Everywhere else I pay as I go.
aeventyr60 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.