Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2014

Pupil2Prodigy is on a distinguished road
Anyone ever rent out a cabin on their boat?

to cover the cost of a slip/mooring/maintenance

Last edited by Pupil2Prodigy; 09-19-2014 at 03:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2014
chucklehead

mr_f is on a distinguished road
re: Anyone ever rent out a cabin on their boat?

I assume if you are planning on renting out a room on your boat, you are never planning on leaving the slip. If I were a tenant, I would be pretty annoyed if I couldn't count on my house being there when I got home.
Old 09-19-2014

Pupil2Prodigy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_f View Post
never planning on leaving the slip
that would be the idea, yeah.
Old 09-19-2014
chucklehead

mr_f is on a distinguished road

huh.
DRFerron likes this.
Old 09-19-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I've never understood the point of living aboard a boat, if it's never leaving the slip.

The OP may be the exception to the rule, but those boats often start looking overloaded and poorly maintained. Neighbors, both on land and in the water, start resenting those boats. Again the OP may be the exception.

But, if not, I would think it would be hard to find a roommate as well. Boats fill up with junk fast. Also, while it's been decades since I had a roommate, you can't help but get on each others nerves from time to time. In a few hundred crowded square feet, that would be amplified.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-19-2014
s/v Dream Weaver

clip68 is on a distinguished road

A lot of couples who are/have been deeply in love split up because they try to live together on a boat. Why would you subject yourself to that kind of thing with a perfect stranger?

Just sayin'

-Chris
Old 09-19-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I think it would be far less expensive if you just rented a studio apartment. You'll also have more room and less to worry about during strong storms and winter months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-19-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've never understood the point of living aboard a boat, if it's never leaving the slip.

Good luck.
Allow me to explain-

There are a lot of people trying to play "beat the rent" by living on derelict boats in marinas, on mooring balls and at anchor.

These people are not interested in sailing or boating. They are in search of cheap rent (or free) and not paying property taxes. These people are the reason for the ever-restrictive anchoring laws in Florida and elsewhere.
inshallamiami likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-19-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Anyone ever rent a cabin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupil2Prodigy View Post
to cover the cost of a slip/mooring/maintenance
Assuming you mean renting out part of your cabin space, I've witnessed it firsthand at the marina I lived at.

It's called "sub-letting" and unless it's allowed in your written marina contract, you are in violation of your contract or "lease".

We had a fellow on a medium size motor cruiser sub-letting his cabin space to various people. When the marina owner discovered this, his contract was voided and the boat owner evicted from the marina. Here's the fun part: As a liveaboard, you are NOT entitled to all the legal eviction protections that a dirt-based apartment tenant is entitled to. If the marina owner wants you out, he can evict you nearly immediately.

I can tell you that your fellow liveaboards in the marina are NOT going to be pleased with you, if you rent out your cabin space to various non-boating transients. These people are often poor neighbors, untidy, and prone to petty theft.

The liveaboard community is pretty tight, and looks after each other. They will likely not tolerate this shifty behavior. We sure didn't.
Tenoch likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-19-2014

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone ever rent out a cabin on their boat?

Pupil, I got to ask: What is a “CNA- Residential Counselor”? I’m just curious if it is some sort of college residence advisor. I don’t think that there are very many opportunities to rent a boat as that would preclude the owner from using it himself. You could try putting out “boat sitter” advertisements at your local Marianas and on the “looking for crew – crew available” websites. Again, I think it is a longshot. I know that larger (motor) yachts look for “cabin attendants” from time to time but that is mainly a housekeeping/busboy/nanny type of job and they really look for experienced (i.e. licensed) crew to service the engines, line handling, maintenance, cleaning etc. I admire your pluck and you are certainly are thinking out of the box. Keep thinking of ideas and we will get you on the water somehow.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.