Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006

pumpkinpie is on a distinguished road
Marina's and Insurance

Hi all,

I'm starting to look for "Live Aboard allowed" marinas and am seeing that some require insurance. Or it may be that some tell you they require insurance? I'm really new to boats in general, so marina particulars are a dense fog to me. Do all marinas require that your boat be insured? How much does boat insurance usually run? Is there a non-comprehensive insurance that just covers me running into other people like with autos? My wife and I would like to avoid having to insure the boat. Is this a bad idea?

Sorry for the flurry of questions. I'm really thankfull for all of the knowledge I've gleaned from this forum already.

Thanks,
Pumpkin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2006

Oh, I forgot. I've heard bits and pieces about surveys. Do you need them to be insured? How expensive? I've heard some people have paid more for a survey than the boat was worth. Our boat was less than $5000, so I'm hoping that we're not in the same "boat".
Old 05-30-2006

Nathan West is on a distinguished road
Most, if not all, marinas require at least liability insurance-if a boat catches on fire and spreads to the dock and surrounding boats someone needs to pay, especialy if you are one of the surrounding boats. Simple liability insurance is not too expense, couple hundred a year and usauly dose not require a survey or at worst an in water survey. Check with Boat US or West Marine
Old 05-30-2006

LaLeLu is on a distinguished road
Depends where you are.

I think that all marinas here in Florida require that you have liability insurance - and require that you name the marina as a loss payee. The amount of liability insurance they require depends on the marina. We have a policy on our 40' boat through Zurich with $350k liability and $150k hull/replacement value. We pay $3k year. Boat US is really high right now in Florida.

BTW, if you don't plan to get insurance, I hope that you don't ever dock or anchor near my boat. I have seen many hurricane boats here that caused damage to other boats, or just sank and were abandoned. No insurance, so the owners just take off and leave everyone else to take care of their problem.
Old 05-30-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I agree with what Nathan and LaLeLu said. The issue with mandatory insurance has nothing to do with what your boat is worth. It's all about being liable for potential damages caused by you, or your vessel.

Having insurance is only one of many expenses affecting the costs of living onboard in a marina. If you can't afford that nominal expense, I believe you will be in for quite a shock by the total cost of living.
Old 05-30-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
You probably will be unable to sign a lease, without proof of insurance. 300K seems to be the minimun coverage. You should be able to get coverage from a "regular" insurance broker for just libility, at less than $100 a year.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2006

jared is on a distinguished road
Liability insurance may also be available as part of your auto insurance policy (the boat may be considered just another motor vehicle) or an umbrella liability policy ($1M policy often $300/yr) on another policy of yours.

But check carefully, to make sure that IF the marina requires it, your policy covers for salvage and environmental mitigation costs. That's right, if you sink, you can expect a bill for the oil cleanup efforts and removal of the wreck, and it won't be cheap for either one. Not a bad idea to have this in any case, but a cheapo policy may try to overlook it.
Old 05-31-2006

Wow, thanks for the great replies. We were planning on getting liability if it was an option, due to our lack of experience and bad luck in general. We just couldn't see spending what the boat cost us each year in insurance. If she sinks, we'd just buy another one for what we would have burned in insurance. Unless we have a disaster every year, we'd keep from wasting alot of cash.

Our cars are on a Progressive policy and I saw they have a boat option. Does anyone have experience with this company for boats? Would I be better off with a boat only insurance company or doesn't it matter?

Thanks again,
Pumpkin
Old 05-31-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've heard a few bad things about Progressive's marine insurance policies, as they don't have salvage coverage of any sort IIRC. I would go with someone who is business is more marine type coverage, like BoatUS or Zurich, rather than Progressive, which really doesn't know or understand the marine insurance industry.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-31-2006

capttb is on a distinguished road
"If she sinks" you are really gonna need lots of insurance, especially if in a harbor or "sensitive" habitat.