Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Dewey: This is the kind of mentality that we are up against:

GATES AND BUFFETT: 1000 TIMES WORSE THAN KEN LAY By Ted Rall
Mon Jul 10, 12:40 PM ET

"Gates and Buffett have created a lot of pain and misery on their way to "earning" their combined $94 billion. (Bear in mind, that's what they're worth. That doesn't include what they've spent.) Gates scammed his dough the old-fashioned way: overcharging his customers and underpaying his employees. Somewhere along the way to accumulating $50 billion, doesn't it occur to a guy that he could charge a little less than $200 for buggy, instantly obsolete, software? Or that it's time for a company-wide raise? He could even hire (gasp) unionized American workers instead of building plants in the Third World and relying on the slave labor of prison inmates!

It's harder to draw a direct line between Buffett's convoluted arbitrage machinations and the reduced incomes of thousands of other people, but anyone who has been downsized by a shareholder-terrorized managing board has experienced the impoverishing of the workers whose employers he targets."

Some people just don't have a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfesq
Besides...Ken Lay got what he deserved. Who's worse? Ken Lay or the greedy mo-fo's who bought his stock?
Some of the people stuck with the stock were the poor working slobs at Enron, who got seriously burned when the company tanked.

As for iPods... if you can't listen to music at a normal volume, you deserve to lose your hearing. The instructions do CLEARLY warn that listening to loud music for extended periods will cause hearing damage...

Common sense dictates that hot coffee can burn you... if you don't have the sense not to put it someplace it will be safe for you to put it... then getting burned is mother nature's way of teaching you. I haven't seen a car in a long time that didn't have at least one cupholder BTW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-11-2006
old cranky salt

Dewey Benson is on a distinguished road
you cant cheat an honest man.

But the general trend at the time was for financial advisors to parrot the opinions of their respective firms (and still is). There were many of those who wanted to do the right thing for their families and themselves, who were sucked in.

I'm what might be called a contrarian, and missed that debacle. But I saw first hand what happened to San Diego little guy's, Resturants, shops when we deregulated a year before the rest of the state. A Small resturant's electric bill might have been $3,000.00 a month. Suddenly it went to $9,000.00 to $12,000.00 per month. Devastating.

I agree he got what he deserved.

Dewey
Old 07-11-2006

That's true...The California deregulation thing was a disaster and hurt a lot of people. But it resulted in unloading a crooked governor.
Old 07-11-2006
old cranky salt

Quote:

Some people just don't have a clue.
Thats why I made a carreer out of jumping in the opposite direction of the crowd.

Each of those court cases previously mentioned, were I believe, decided by Juries, were they not? It is pretty easy to second guess them as we weren't around to hear the evidence.

The system we have is imperfect. It has a self correcting mechanism that acts much like a pendulum. At least it has some self correction.

Dewey
Old 07-11-2006
old cranky salt

Quote:
That's true...The California deregulation thing was a disaster and hurt a lot of people. But it resulted in unloading a crooked governor.
I think Ole Gray Davis wasn't much more crooked than than most pols. In a good and stable economy he might have made an adequate administrator. Unfortunatly he had the spine of a bed of kelp.

The system here has become ponderous and overweight. A good diet is hard to accept.

Dewey
Old 07-11-2006
Lady Pirate

Pirate's Booty is on a distinguished road
Ahem!

Fellows - hate to spoil all your good ranting, but -

CAN WE GET BACK TO BOATING?

I don't care what any of you do for a living - all I want is some sound advice about boating.

My Beefcake offered to go to the boat around 3 pm and open up all the windows, then when I get home at 5 pm, I can wipe down all the counters. The dishes are all outside, so they should be fine.

Does anyone know if there is something that I can use to neutralize the posion from the foggers, or is it enough to wipe everything thoroghly with fresh water? or maybe dish soap and warm water?

Let me know...

Pirate' s Booty
Old 07-11-2006

Hold on just a second here....You are the bain of this site because you jump in on discussions about how to adjust a jib with a question about the exhaust muffler on your stinkpot!

Dewey: Yes, those were all jury trials. Having tried literally hundreds of jury trials over the past 20 years, I have personally seen hundreds if not thousands of ordinary citizens work very hard to try to craft a reasonable solution. For the most part, people take that oath very seriously. That's not to say that juries don't sometimes do some crazy stuff, but just not in the example of the McDonald's coffee case.
Now as for your self-inflicted hazmant situation PBooty, I believe someone answered inane question number 114 like several comments ago.
Old 07-11-2006
Lady Pirate

excuse me..

... Mr. Question # 1,132-about-kinds-of-boat-paint!

Pirate' s Booty
Old 07-11-2006
Lady Pirate

P.S. I have never asked about the muffler, time to get out your reading glasses, or maybe Atouk has them?

Pirate' s Booty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.