Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2006
Lady Pirate

Pirate's Booty is on a distinguished road
Wow - are you actually issuing a word of caution? I don't think I can handle that coming from you!

Names: Miss Guided... you like?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pirate' s Booty
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2006

Mellow Yellow is on a distinguished road
Catalina Island

You'll have no problem making the trip to Catalina. Just start in the morning calm. Its 36miles from MDR to Avalon, its a little shorter to two harbors. Beautiful trip and fairly calm waters. Just lookout for the Santa Ana winds.
Old 06-28-2006
Lady Pirate

Thanks for the advice, Mellow Yellow - once I get the engines running smoothly and have some more experience driving her - I would like to do just that!

I will start saving now for the outrageously high cost of gas at my local pump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pirate' s Booty
Old 06-28-2006
Lady Pirate

Question Pump out Pending

Hi all, I also have a few questions regarding pump outs for the boat:

1. There is a free spot near me that I can use to pump out my tank, but I don't have the first idea about what to do once I find it!

2. Umm.... how do you know the tank is full - there is no gauge for this on the boat and I don't want to find out by flooding my bathroom floor with waste water (again)!

Pirate' s Booty
Old 06-28-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There is a deck fitting on the boat, that you put the pumpout hose into, and it will pull the waste from the tank...kind of like self-serve gas stations in reverse.

Most marine heads will be harder to pump as the tank gets close to being full. That said, you really need to put a gauge of some sort on the tank to make it far easier to keep an eye on tank levels.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-29-2006
Lady Pirate

Question Generator Question

OK - thanks for the advice, S-Dog - I have seen the hole for the pump out and I suppose when I get there I can flag someone down so I don't make a mess.

On a totally different note, does anyone have suggestions about a good generator? Mine is pretty old and needs too many repairs - I would rather just replace it if I can find something affordable - might consider a used one.

Also, does anyone know about alternate sources of power? I would have a lot of space available for solar panels or something like that.

Thanks!

Pirate' s Booty
Old 06-29-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have a fair bit of experience with solar panels, as my boat is equipped with them. Solar panels have the advantage of being fairly low maintenance, easy to use, and relatively long-lived. The main disadvantage of them is they don't work 24x7 or in bad weather. Typically, you will get about the equivalent of five-to-six full hours of juice from them, but it depends on the type of panel: mono, poly or amorphous; and the placement.

One thing about solar panels is that shadows have a very strong effect on their performance, so try avoiding any shading of the panels. This too is determined somewhat by what type of panel you get—amorphous silicon panels are less affected than poly or mono-crystalline panels, but not as efficient either.

Are you looking for a marine generator?? Did you want diesel or gasoline—diesel is safer, gasoline is a bit quieter and cheaper IMHO.

One thing you will definitely want to do is an "electrical budget" where you take the amperage each piece of equipment uses and multiply it by the average number of hours you will want to use it—add them all up—and then that will give you a rough idea of how much electricity you need to supply, and a basis for calculating how large your house battery bank needs to be.

Generally, the total load should be about 40-50% of the house battery bank's total size, as deep-cycle batteries don't really like being discharged much past 50%, and doing so drastically shortens their life span. This will also give you an idea of the size of the generator you will want to get.

Your alternative energy supplies will need to be able to replace almost as much as you use on a daily basis, if you want to not have to run the engine just to charge the house battery bank. I'd also recommend that you keep the starting battery bank separate from the house bank as a safety measure—the engines on your boat are probably a bit large to be hand cranked.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 06-29-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
First of all, what is your present battery setup? A dedicated start battery and a house bank? Or just one battery for everything? Also, what kind (gas or diesel), and how many, engines do you have?

You do need to do the electrical budget, but it is hard to advise you on it without the above info.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-30-2006
Lady Pirate

Hi John and S-Dog, I have 2 gas engines (Chevy Crusaders). I know that each engine has its own dedicated battery. As for the house batteries, I don't really know what I have there - will have to check it out this weekend and get back to you.

As far as using electricity, it is pretty much for the lights, microwave and stereo - other than that, I only plug in smaller items (such as my cell phone).

How do I figure out the amperage that things use?

Pirate' s Booty
Old 06-30-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Can I make a suggestion...get a clue! You remind me of my 5 year old with all of the questions. You should pop down to the local West Marine and pick up a few books on boat maintenance. It will cover these topics in detail. Please promise me you won't go to Catalina until you figure out how to do a pump-out!