SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Ahoy, salty dawgs! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/16759-ahoy-salty-dawgs.html)

Pirate's Booty 05-31-2006 05:58 PM

Ahoy, salty dawgs!

I am a Lady Pirate looking for adventure on the high seas and moving into my first boat on July 1st. Would love some tips for living aboard - plan to have a garden on the roof, transform the front "office" into a painting studio and have lots of BBQs and happy hours on deck.

Let me know if you have any tips for this former-land-lubber!

Also, I need to learn how to fish, if you live in Marina del Rey, let me know and we can cast off together.

BigRed56 06-01-2006 02:55 AM

Pirate of Pine Island

Ahoy me Lady, I be de Pirate of Pine Island wit some considerable experience living aboard and sailing. Iffin ye needs specific advise just ask. Growing things on a vessel is a part of de routine , wit de molds and such crustecheons and varmits ye be busy trying to kill whats growing as opposed to helping dem along. I be 3000 miles away on de east coast and would glagly take you up on yer offer . Please send Picture of Vessel cause I don'ts do blind dates. !! Fair Winds Pirate Of Pine Island.

Pirate's Booty 06-01-2006 01:09 PM

Much oblige, matey!

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 42

Attachment 43

Attachment 44
Argh! Pirate o' de Pines! Photos o' the vessel are attached, as for meself, wouldn't want my beauty to blind you, so must refrain.

Specifically, would like advice on making a nice "outdoor living room" on the top deck - thinking a weather-proof wood deck and awning, perhaps a hammock, some bench seats and built in garden boxes for fruits/veggies/herbs/flowers and such. The space is roughly 25' by 13'. Any ideas?

Cheers!

PBzeer 06-01-2006 02:50 PM

Just out of curiousity

Are you talking about a boat, or a house that floats? If it's to remain at the dock, then there is much more that is possible. If you plan to go anywhere in it, then that needs to be taken into account. I'm assuming, from your description, and plans, that this is a houseboat, and not a sailboat.

Regards

Pirate's Booty 06-01-2006 03:48 PM

1970 Uniflite - 36' and 2 Engines

The bloke selling the boat calls her a "Yacht Home," she looks like a houseboat from the waterline up, but the fiberglass hull is v-shaped like a fishing boat. She can cruise in calm to mild weather and I intend to explore the seas looking for booty and adventure!

Do you imagine I can still have a garden, or will a bit of salt spray kill it? I know there are certain flowering plants that live along the coast and can tolerate a bit of salt, but I am not sure about regular old plants.

Anyone?

TrueBlue 06-01-2006 03:56 PM

Capt. Bligh seemed to have some success with his breadfruit plants . . . that is until his mutinous crew threw them overboard.

PBzeer 06-01-2006 04:46 PM

There are a number of things that will grow on a boat. Especially herbs. I would go easy on adding too much superstructure up top though, if you plan to go anywhere. From what I can visualize of your plans, it sounds like adding a lot of windage up there. Not particularly a good thing, even in a motor boat. You might try the Livingaboard.com forum for more info on plants.

sailingdog 06-01-2006 10:31 PM

A good way to grow plants is an on deck greenhouse. A pretty small one will handle a fair number of herbs.

Pirate's Booty 06-05-2006 10:33 AM

Green House, eh?

Blimey, what a corker of an idea! A green house - but of course - a great solution - the herbs will love it and it will cut down on salty brine they may take on if I'm caught in a squal. You sure are smart, keep those brilliant ideas coming, old chap.

sailingdog 06-05-2006 03:11 PM

Glad to be of service. :D It was something I had read about... sounded workable, provided you setup the green house properly. The one in the article was setup primarily for herbs and fresh veggies... cabbage, carrots, basil, thyme, etc. If I can find the article, I'll e-mail what magazine it was in to you, as it had plans for building such said greenhouse. :D