Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006
Lady Pirate

Pirate's Booty is on a distinguished road
Wink Ahoy, salty dawgs!

I am a Lady Pirate looking for adventure on the high seas and moving into my first boat on July 1st. Would love some tips for living aboard - plan to have a garden on the roof, transform the front "office" into a painting studio and have lots of BBQs and happy hours on deck.

Let me know if you have any tips for this former-land-lubber!

Also, I need to learn how to fish, if you live in Marina del Rey, let me know and we can cast off together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2006

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Smile Pirate of Pine Island

Ahoy me Lady, I be de Pirate of Pine Island wit some considerable experience living aboard and sailing. Iffin ye needs specific advise just ask. Growing things on a vessel is a part of de routine , wit de molds and such crustecheons and varmits ye be busy trying to kill whats growing as opposed to helping dem along. I be 3000 miles away on de east coast and would glagly take you up on yer offer . Please send Picture of Vessel cause I don'ts do blind dates. !! Fair Winds Pirate Of Pine Island.
Old 06-01-2006
Lady Pirate

Cool Much oblige, matey!

boat.galley.JPG

boat.live.JPG

boat.bath.JPG
Argh! Pirate o' de Pines! Photos o' the vessel are attached, as for meself, wouldn't want my beauty to blind you, so must refrain.

Specifically, would like advice on making a nice "outdoor living room" on the top deck - thinking a weather-proof wood deck and awning, perhaps a hammock, some bench seats and built in garden boxes for fruits/veggies/herbs/flowers and such. The space is roughly 25' by 13'. Any ideas?

Cheers!
Old 06-01-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Just out of curiousity

Are you talking about a boat, or a house that floats? If it's to remain at the dock, then there is much more that is possible. If you plan to go anywhere in it, then that needs to be taken into account. I'm assuming, from your description, and plans, that this is a houseboat, and not a sailboat.

Regards

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-01-2006
Lady Pirate

Red face 1970 Uniflite - 36' and 2 Engines

The bloke selling the boat calls her a "Yacht Home," she looks like a houseboat from the waterline up, but the fiberglass hull is v-shaped like a fishing boat. She can cruise in calm to mild weather and I intend to explore the seas looking for booty and adventure!

Do you imagine I can still have a garden, or will a bit of salt spray kill it? I know there are certain flowering plants that live along the coast and can tolerate a bit of salt, but I am not sure about regular old plants.

Anyone?

Pirate' s Booty
Old 06-01-2006
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Capt. Bligh seemed to have some success with his breadfruit plants . . . that is until his mutinous crew threw them overboard.
Old 06-01-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
There are a number of things that will grow on a boat. Especially herbs. I would go easy on adding too much superstructure up top though, if you plan to go anywhere. From what I can visualize of your plans, it sounds like adding a lot of windage up there. Not particularly a good thing, even in a motor boat. You might try the Livingaboard.com forum for more info on plants.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-01-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A good way to grow plants is an on deck greenhouse. A pretty small one will handle a fair number of herbs.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-05-2006
Lady Pirate

Talking Green House, eh?

Blimey, what a corker of an idea! A green house - but of course - a great solution - the herbs will love it and it will cut down on salty brine they may take on if I'm caught in a squal. You sure are smart, keep those brilliant ideas coming, old chap.

Pirate' s Booty
Old 06-05-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to be of service. It was something I had read about... sounded workable, provided you setup the green house properly. The one in the article was setup primarily for herbs and fresh veggies... cabbage, carrots, basil, thyme, etc. If I can find the article, I'll e-mail what magazine it was in to you, as it had plans for building such said greenhouse.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.