Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006

fierystar is on a distinguished road
preparing to live aboard

My girlfriend and I are planing to live aboard within the coming year. We have been reading and looking at many different options in buying the "right" boat for us. We are narrowing down to a 28, 30 foot Morgan OI, Islander, Lancer, etc. Formally from NH and Boston, I live in AZ now and can't wait to get back to the sea !!! We would like to hear about boat and marina choices and also what would be the best way to check out boats being from this hot and ugly desert. Thanks , Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Boat search right here, and yachtworld.com are two good sources for researching boats for sale. Some things to take into consideration are where you will be sailing and how often. Will you be cruising, or just living on the boat while working?

While two (or more) people can certainly live on a 28 to 30 foot boat, I think you'll soon find it's a bit cramped. Particularly, if you're just using it instead of a house. To my thinking, you would be better off looking in the 32 to 35 foot range.

The first thing you need to determine though, is how you'll realistically use the boat. Once you do that, you can more easily determine what boats to look at.

Regards,

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-15-2006

live aboard

Thanks for the reply. I believe you are correct when you say "determine the use" . I guess we want the best of all worlds (room and comfort, sailing capabilities, low price, etc.) and I don't know if that's possible. I feel I would be more comfortable handling a smaller boat to start.
I have been to most of the sites that list boats but I would prefer an onboard look at this point. Thanks
Best regards, Tom
Old 06-15-2006

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"we want the best of all worlds (room and comfort, sailing capabilities, low price, etc.) and I don't know if that's possible."
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but that's not possible. Room and comfort conflict with sailing capabilities. You get the former on a barge, the latter on a race boat, and in order to compromise the two you need a much larger (read: longer) sailboat. You might consider a 38-42' boat "roomy" and capable, but a 28-30' boat will be very much like camping in a VW van.
If you both can deal with that, up front, you may do OK.

Personally, I think you need something like 28-32 feet to handle average weather, because at that point typical "small craft warnings" usually indicate you'll be in for a rough ride in anything less.

Marinas and such...You won't get any answers on unless you can narrow it down to *where* you want to go. Got any plans? Limits?

If you don't have much sailing experience (and given the huge number of yacht clubs in Arizona) you might want to find an ASA certified bareboat course on one ot the coasts, and invest (yes, it will cost) in the price of having both of you take the class. That will give you some practical experience, some time afloat, and a chance to get hands-on with various boats. There's nothing like a couple of days ON a boat to find out if it is going to work--or be a very bad mistake. Much cheaper to take the course than to buy a boat and find out afterwards.
Old 06-15-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
I think Hellosailor is 100% Correct. I cruised and lived aboard a Hunter/Cherubini 37C for a year with my ex-wife and then 2 year old daughter. (Our divorce had nothing to do with that year). The issue once you move onboard is how much stuff you cannot bring with you. It's very easy for many people to miss that point. That is why people are suggesting bigger offshore boats.
I am currently renovating a 41' Seawolf which I intend to live aboard and cruise. I chose this boat because it was built for long-term Ocean Cruising. As a result, there is a plenty of logical storage space for living aboard and enough headroom for me. (I am six feet eight).
Old 06-15-2006

svLotus is on a distinguished road
living aboard and sailing

my husband and i bought and moved aboard our 33 ft. morgan outisland back in 2001, just outside of houston, texas. the outisland was a compromise buy, giving us more than enough room for the two of us, and accommodated his height at 6'2". we commuted to work for half the year and eventually took our morgan cruising for one year: down the icw, over to mexico, down to hoduras, and back. she was a very reliable, comfortable, and affordable purchase. that said, it was not the optimal sailing vessel. we had periods that required some motor-sailing, but overall it was perfect for the stage we were at with our sailing. very easy to handle. i think you can easily find something 30-32 ft that's livable. for both purchases we used www.yachtworld.com

we're now embarking on a 3 year circumnavigation and again some compromise (a blue water sailboat, that sails!, and with comfort) had to be negotiated. so, we've purchased a morgan 382 and just love it. plenty of room, she sails great, the boat is blue water worthy, and we can both single-hand her. oh, and it didn't break the bank.

either way, prepare to simplify, simplify, simplify. we found after moving aboard for the first time 5 years ago the process came in steps. ultimately, you pare down much more than you'd ever imagine.

as to marinas, we opted for texas because of the low cost of living and SUPER cheap marina slip rent. i personally found Florida to be anti-liveaboard and extremely costly, and the same for california.

happy sailing!!!
christine

Last edited by svLotus; 06-15-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, consider that longer/larger boats have higher costs for docking, mooring, haulouts, and the maintenance costs are usually higher on longer boats.

A boat smaller than 35' is doable, but you really will have to make some serious changes if you're going to liveaboard.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-15-2006
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
I agree with SVLOTUS

For an affordable cruiser with the room of a 40 footer That is dependable and will take a lick the O/I Morgans are probably the best bang for the buck. They aren't rocket ships to windward. They do take bad weather well, with a comfortable ride. With a full keel she won't turn on a dime but will track like she's on rails.
The O/I series were designed for the charter business and had to be jsut about bulletpruff.
Good Luck in your search and fair winds.
Let's us know how you make out

Cap'n Dave
Old 06-15-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
I agree with the Morgan suggestion. I looked at several Morgans when I was shopping. I thought they were well built and the interior room was fantastic. I went with mine simply because I loved the look. But I am also handy so the amount of work did not intimidate me.
Old 06-16-2006

living aboard

Thanks for all you imput on this subject and your knowledge from experiance. We have been narrowing our focus on our needs and are learning very much about what we are planning. I have downsized to a suitcase, and a case of beer, in the last few years and have learned to go without. I am handy with woodwork, fiberglass, and engines so an older boat is good.
I like the idea of a sailing class and will check that out. Also thanks for the headsup on Texas marina's. Has anyone sailed to Alabama ports ? I have some friends at Dana Point, CA We stayed on their 22' Catalina now that was small !!!
Thanks, Best regards, Tom

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.