Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree510Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2014

Nostrodamus is on a distinguished road
How poor is the average liveaboard cruiser?

I phrased it as how poor because it is amazing that everyone who does not own a boat thinks that because you do you are rich.
We have been living aboard and sailing slowly around the world for the last 5 years. We have no other property, a limited income and a very frugal lifestyle.
With our income if we lived in a house we would be classed as pretty poor.
To us this life is about more than money. It is about experiencing the world and with the places we have visited, the people we have met and the memories we have then we class ourselves as top of the rich list.
What are your thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nostrodamus For This Useful Post:
guitarguy56 (12-15-2014), rsurferboy38 (02-03-2015)
Old 12-12-2014
Dirt Free

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: How poor is the average liveaboard cruiser?

How poor is the average "dirt person" ?
AKA44 likes this.
Old 12-12-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I learned long ago never to judge anyone's financial status by how they live or look. I used to work for an investment company. One client was homeless yet had almost a million dollars in investments. In high school I had a friend who looked like someone you didn't want in your house and drove a junker yet lived in a mansion and was an heir to a to-me-unfathomable, old money fortune.

I'm more curious about what a person gets out of the sailing experience than how much money they have to spend on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-12-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I learned long ago never to judge anyone's financial status by how they live or look.
Wise advice. "The Millionaire Next Door" is an excellent book that makes just that point. The truth is that the majority of the really wealthy people in this world do not look like millionaires. Sure, there are the Bill Gates and the Arab Sheiks of the world, but they are a relatively small percentage. Gather together everyone in the word with a net worth over a million dollars and probably 90% of them will look--to most people, who don't understand financial wealth--like they don't belong.

Now, to the original question, my guess is that the "average" liveaboard cruiser is wealthier than the "average" dirt dweller. I'm sure there are a lot of exceptions, but that would be my guess.
Group9, Nancyleeny and tattoodave like this.
Old 12-12-2014
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road

I just looked through my wallet, $12.00 ........damn you WM !
Old 12-12-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Poor in dollars, rich in life. Suits me just fine.
zeehag, Group9, Tenoch and 5 others like this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 12-12-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I learned long ago never to judge anyone's financial status by how they live or look. I used to work for an investment company. One client was homeless yet had almost a million dollars in investments. In high school I had a friend who looked like someone you didn't want in your house and drove a junker yet lived in a mansion and was an heir to a to-me-unfathomable, old money fortune.

I'm more curious about what a person gets out of the sailing experience than how much money they have to spend on it.
Aint' that the truth. I have an attorney friend, who now represents a middle aged woman, whom he had known for several years, and who has worked at a minimum wage job that entire time. She came to him and wanted him to help distribute some of her money to a foundation. He asked her how much, thinking it would a few hundred dollars. She had twenty six million dollars and wanted to donate three million of it.
Southbound Irish likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
The Following User Says Thank You to Group9 For This Useful Post:
kidkoolers (1 Week Ago)
Old 12-12-2014

Rapp is on a distinguished road

According to the Global Wealth Report, it only takes a net-worth of about $3,650 to be among the wealthiest half of people in the world. The U.S. Census reports that almost all households earn at least four times that. (The top 90% take home at least $12,401 per year.) Even though two-thirds of Americans claim to be living paycheck to paycheck , the average savings account balance in the U.S. was $5,923 in 2011, according to document-management services company Pitney Bowes.

The global middle and upper classes narrow rapidly. While most people in the world have less than a few thousand dollars to their name, members of the global top 10% earn more than $77,000. The worldwide 1% are worth an average of $798,000. By contrast, Credit Suisse found that more than 95% of adults in India have less than U.S. $10,000 to their name.

That is an excerpt from a recent article in the Philadelphia Inquirer,I found it very interesting ,but it also showed me how unappreciative most Americans are,myself included.
I do find this topic very interesting as I wonder what is most peoples motivation for sailing.Is it financial ? Tired of the rat race ? I read an article the other day that stated that people were cutting back on spending and becoming more frugal due to the recession.I think that is great because things have really gotten out of hand lately,and I do believe more people are heading towards less stressful scaled down living
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rapp For This Useful Post:
Northeric (12-15-2014), Raider Curt (02-01-2015), slax (02-06-2015)
Old 12-12-2014

mbianka is on a distinguished road

I recall two incidents that reminded me how lucky I was to be just living on my boat. When I worked in New York I lived on board for several years from April to December when the marina closed down. During the summer I use to go and sit up on the bow with a beer or glass of wine and watch the sunset over New Jersey. One day while I'm doing that I caught a kayaker by the dock staring at me. He looked familiar I gave him a nod and continued watching the sunset. It was only later that I realized it was John F. Kennedy Jr. in the kayak. I wondered if he was somewhat envious of me just being able to hangout considering his obligations and schedule? Same thing when Rupert Murdoch bought his 180 foot yacht Morning Glory up to the dock. Caught Murdoch looking at me while I was nursing a beer. Wondered what he was thinking too. Seeing a guy just hanging out as he pleased while he was going to meetings, dinner parties etc... Somehow I felt my life richer than both of them but, not in a monetary way.
Group9, jcwhite, rugosa and 6 others like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to mbianka For This Useful Post:
Raider Curt (02-01-2015)
Old 12-12-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

This is a dumb question that borders on belonging in OT/Politics/War/Religion.

Just like everything else in life, cruisers and liveaboards span the entire economic spectrum, assuming you're measuring wealth in terms of money and not other intangible factors like health or happiness.

Also just like everything else (homes, cars, jobs, etc), a person's outward trappings are often not an indicator of their true financial position.

Why all the interest in other people's wallets? It's really none of your business.
Multihullgirl, slax and Dave_E like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
The Following User Says Thank You to BubbleheadMd For This Useful Post:
High Plains Drifter (01-17-2015)

Tags
liveaboard cruising , money , sailing around the world

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.