Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I was not justifying polluting...I was commenting on our fine politicians who addressed the small population of boaters with unworkable regulations and crazyness...not allowing discharge from heads which emit cleaner waste than municiple sewage facilities! Then make us have holding tanks which overflow and there is NO working pumpout within a 1/2 day sail. All this while permitting the major pollutors to get away with murdering the Bay. BTW...we DO contribute to Save the Bay.
I do not believe that directly flushing into open water is polluting. It is organic and breaks down like everything else and I think 3 miles is too far to require people to go except where swimming activity might be affected. I do NOT support discharge into enclosed bodies of water. If politicians would allow or REQUIRE TypeII heads on all boats AND eliminate the need for pumpouts AND NDA's while cracking down and spending money to get rid of the other 99.9% of pollution then we'd have cleaner water and something practical.
I fully understand that others opinions may differ but hope mine is clearer now!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2006
Dyslexic, Not Daft !

jorjo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallybygolly
In my original question, I never said anything about discharging in the marina I'm at, I never anything about going near waikiki beach and unloading, I asked if it was feasible, if I was outside the 3-mile rule, to discharge into the ocean.
Take another slant on it 3 miles out = international waters in most places.
If your countrys laws end at 3 miles out.......
You can bet local ethics end there too.

At 3 miles out, semi submerged shiping containers, dead heads and junk are a bigger hazard than anything you could squeeze out

As for the environmental impact, Pffft,,, Those fish are a lot happier in the sea than on the plate when humans won't risk eating them
So according to Surfesq's logic Dumping 3 miles out means your actually protecting the marine life
Old 08-07-2006

ShirKhan is on a distinguished road
Who's going to catch all the whales, seals and porpoises and make them all wear Depends?

Maybe "Greenpeace" could start a new movement, "SeaPoo"...bunch of guys in chase boats with safety pins in their mouths...LOL
Old 08-07-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
You guys are idiots! Think of it like this. Are you old enough to remember how bad pollution was back in the 1970s when that kind of mentality was the rule. Rivers were dead and toxic, people threw trash everywhere. Is that what you want? If it was not the raising of public awareness places like the Hudson River would still be a mess.
This past weekend on the Chesapeake Bay there was literally hundreds if not thousands of boats on the water. If everyone adopted your mentality the Bay would be brown. The difference with three miles out in the ocean is that you might see one boat here or there. So your pea-brain **** would not amount to much. Is that too complicated for you to grasp?
I am not a huge fan of Greenpeace but what are you doing to make sure your kids inherit a better world? Although maybe you should start slow and try not being an idiot for your kid.
By the way morons, just because there is rampant pollution continuing out in the ocean is not a justification for adding to the problem. You should have to sail with an open bag of **** duck taped to your chest so you can smell it all day. Maybe you would have a different attitude.
Old 08-07-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Why don't you tell us how your really feel Surf . . . .
Old 08-07-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Sorry TB. You know I am not a lefty. But to me, if you claim to be even moderately intelligent, justifying or advocating pollution betrays the notion. I have no patience for morons.
Old 08-11-2006
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallybygolly
I'll just plan on visiting the pumping station as part of my weekly chores, I suppose.
Unless you are in a NDZ, you can legally pump directly overboard if you are using a Type I or Type II marine sanitation device (MSD). These are heads that treat the waste before it goes overboard. Check your local regulations to determine which type is OK in your area. And as previously mentioned, raw sewage is a no-no, especially in a marina.

Also consider a mobile pumpout service, if you don't want to DIY.
Old 08-11-2006

wallybygolly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms
Unless you are in a NDZ, you can legally pump directly overboard if you are using a Type I or Type II marine sanitation device (MSD). These are heads that treat the waste before it goes overboard. Check your local regulations to determine which type is OK in your area. And as previously mentioned, raw sewage is a no-no, especially in a marina.

Also consider a mobile pumpout service, if you don't want to DIY.
After futher research, this is the method that I will be installing into my boat, I think. Hawaii is NOT a NDZ and using a Type 1 or 2 MSD it is legal to discharge directly overboard. (I am obviously going with a Type 1 for cost/space savings since I only have a 30' boat.). I'm sure there are people who think this method is just as bad...but I think it is a very eco-friendly (and legal) compromise to this whole debate.
Old 08-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Wallybygolly-

It might be worth getting a holding tank installed, even if it is a very small one. If Hawaii ever passes legislation for becoming a NDZ, then you'll need one, and installing it at the same time you're installing your new head system makes much more sense and will be much cheaper than trying to retro-fit it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-11-2006

Nicco61 is on a distinguished road
In 2002 USCG lists over 13 million numbered boats in the US. Can you imagine all of them dumping within the 3 mile limit?