Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006

wallybygolly is on a distinguished road
Head/Water waste and holding tanks

The area I am looking for a slip in has a No Discharge rule. I plan on using the marina facilities as much as possible...however, for the times that I don 't is where I have a question.

First, if I install a holding tank for the head, is it customary to just take the boat down to the pumping station whenever it gets full? I plan on taking the boat out sailing every weekend or so...could I realistically just monitor the status of the tanks and when I get out of the harbor pump out the tanks through the seacock? Like I said, the usage would be minimal, so I think I could go a few weeks between pumpings...I'm not sure though, hopefully somebody can give me some insight on how they operate on this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2006

infonote is on a distinguished road
This article may help you

http://www.landlpardey.com/Tips/2006/March.html
Old 07-12-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
First of all, if your boat is in US waters, I believe the holding tank is legally required. I would plan on pumping out the tank a bit more frequently than what you're suggesting, as from your description, if the tank is only infrequently used, it may be a long while before the tank is "full". Also, waiting for the tank to be "full" is just asking for trouble.

BTW, pumping the tank out through the seacocks is illegal if you're within three miles of land, and even further in some cases with NDZ.

You'll also have to design the system to allow the seacock to be locked in the closed position and the output of the head to be locked in the position of draining to the holding tank, as I believe this is a requirement for USCG inspections in NDZ areas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-12-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Sailing Dog is absolutely right, the seacock must be wired in the closed position.
I can't resist this obvious question. What makes you think that dumping your raw sewage in the water within site of land is a good idea? Would you mind if I came over this afternoon and took a dump on your front lawn? I apologize for the lecture but because we utilize the oceans, rivers and tributaries for recreation we have an obligation to do our part to protect the waters. We are stewards in effect.
Old 07-12-2006

Read the article posted on Sailnet by sonofasonofasailor

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...ur-oceans.html
Old 07-12-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfesq
Sailing Dog is absolutely right, the seacock must be wired in the closed position.
I can't resist this obvious question. What makes you think that dumping your raw sewage in the water within site of land is a good idea? Would you mind if I came over this afternoon and took a dump on your front lawn? I apologize for the lecture but because we utilize the oceans, rivers and tributaries for recreation we have an obligation to do our part to protect the waters. We are stewards in effect.
Crude imagery...but very effective. LOL.

Yes, the discharge laws are there for a reason. How would you like to be swimming at a beach and have a boat dump its holding tank where you were swimming. It is only legal to discharge a holding tank three miles from land or further, provided you are not in a no-discharge-zone.

Granted, the waste from a single holding tank is not all that much, but only if diluted by the open ocean. Bays, estuaries, and harbors often don't have a good flow of water through them, and the waste tends to concentrate in such locations. Not exactly what you really want.

The New England rains have done quite a number on many of the waterways here. The growth of algae and barnacles at my marina is astounding, mainly due to the much richer nutrient flow provided by the massive rains we've experienced.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-12-2006

Yes, nobody wants to encounter a floaty while swimming off of Martha's Vineyard. The cold water is bad enough!
The Chesapeake Bay is a mess this summer as well for the same reasons.
Old 07-12-2006
Telstar 28

Floaties and portugese man o'wars are two things you want to avoid... My take is that if you're sailing, you should stay on the boat... There are too many things in bluewater that would like to see if we taste like seals.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-13-2006

wallybygolly is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the responses...as for the dumping, I was just asking what the best course of action is, or is recommended. I am in Hawaii, if that makes any difference...and if anybody watched the news from this Spring, the sewage is pretty much dumped into our canals right now anyway. I just figured that we are surrounded by open ocean with some strong currents, if I happened to be outside of the 3 mile radius while sailing, I think it would be diluted pretty dang fast.

I'll just plan on visiting the pumping station as part of my weekly chores, I suppose.
Old 07-15-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Yah...OK...I'm not gonna dump my holding tank in your swimming hole or anyplace without a good tidal flow...but the 3 mile rule is a bit ridiculous just considering how many marine mammals and birds and other species are crapping in the same water. Boaters are literally a drop in the bucket (no pun intended). This is just another example of over-zealous environmentalism. Instead of fixing the real problem...(runoff, over-flowing sewage systems, fertilizer etc.)...find a small defensless group and make them travel 3 miles offshore to dump their tanks since the d+$%$##n pumpout stations are never working or too far away to be of practical use.
Meanwhile...one good rainstorm in the Chesapeake Bay region puts more pollution in the Bay than if every boat there flushed it's tanks today. The caribbean countires have no pump outs at all, large boating populations and the water is safe for all except in a couple of harbors.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.