Sailing TV show - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 01-16-2015 Thread Starter

Sailing TV show

We are a Canadian television production company and we're working on a show about people that leave their life on land and sail away to the sunny south.

We want to know what are the top three fears you had before departing.
We're also looking for people who are heading out in the next six to 18 month on their first live aboard cruise.
Jeff,
Fadoo Productions
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-16-2015

Re: Sailing TV show

Hey Jeff,

3 Biggest fear for me about my departure planned for next July in no particular order are :

- Is it going to be as fun as I imagine it ?
- Is my new girlfriend going to like it and stick around or will I be singlehandeling?
- Im I going to run out of money quicker than bugeted?

I bought my boat in Iroquois, Ontario and will be sailing it back to my home port in Québec this spring as a shake down cruise. Then I will be making the final preparation for the set date of July 20th where I will be a permanent live aboard and without a job. I have minor navigation skills and have been daysailling the St-Lawrence river here in Quebec for the past 2 years. I can't lie that I feel a bit overwhelm by everything now 6 month before starting my cruise south.
post #3 of 26 Old 01-16-2015 Thread Starter

Most people worry that their wife/kids/crew won't like it.... they all seem very certain they will like it themselves.

Jeff

-----
Jeff Blundell
Toronto Based Television Production Company

post #4 of 26 Old 01-16-2015

Jeff,

Thinking back to when we departed in 2004, I think my fears were (in no order);

Could we handle the weather, we felt the boat could, but could we?
Would we get board without constant stimulation from outside stuff like radio & TV
Once out of the US, could we find places to take care of the boats and our self's.

I know there were more, but that is the three that comes to mind quickly.

By the way, for us, cruising is WAY BETTER than we thought it would be!

Greg

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Home page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube Virtual Reality page -
post #5 of 26 Old 01-16-2015

There are only two things to fear. The ocean filling the inside of the boat and catching fire. Petty much everything else is inconvenient at most.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-16-2015

Top three fears- money, monotony, maintenance.
Feared that we have too little of the first, will have too much of the second, and not be able to keep up with the third.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

post #7 of 26 Old 01-16-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Jeff,

Thinking back to when we departed in 2004, I think my fears were (in no order);

Could we handle the weather, we felt the boat could, but could we?
Would we get board without constant stimulation from outside stuff like radio & TV
Once out of the US, could we find places to take care of the boats and our self's.

I know there were more, but that is the three that comes to mind quickly.

By the way, for us, cruising is WAY BETTER than we thought it would be!

Greg
Hey Greg , cool shot of your boat . Could you tell us about the boat , like gear and stuff like that ? I think I see a vane there . Also I would like to here about you and yours travels down south . Jeff I don't mean to hijack the thread , I think it will relate .
post #8 of 26 Old 01-16-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsailpatti View Post
Hey Greg , cool shot of your boat . Could you tell us about the boat , like gear and stuff like that ? I think I see a vane there . Also I would like to here about you and yours travels down south . Jeff I don't mean to hijack the thread , I think it will relate .
No problem Patti,

We DO love our Nor'Sea! Take a look at our WEB pages for write ups over the years, including a few yearly gear reports on what worked and what didn't. Also our Youtube page for for videos.

Contact me direct if ya need more info.

Greg

Greg & Jill Delezynski
Nor'Sea 27, Guenevere
Home page -

Youtube page -

Youtube Virtual Reality page -
post #9 of 26 Old 01-16-2015
Banned

Thanks Greg ! Will do .
post #10 of 26 Old 01-16-2015
J&T

Go South new Boaters, Afraid, of What?
Having taken sailing lessons on the Ohio River, then more lesson with Off Shore Sailing in Florida why should we be afraid? Why, we're ready. So, off we go and buy a catamaran, hire a captain for our first off shore sail out of Ft. Lauderdale to Norfolk. Great trip up the Gulf Stream. Ok, so we sail around the Chesapeake for the summer planning to go down the inner coastal waterway after a trip home for the Christmas Holidays and a hernia operation. Our summer seemed to be consumer repairing every system on the boat. Before heading home for the Christmas Holidays we find we top out at 68'9". So much for the ICW. Being novices we decided that sailing around Cape Hatteras in January was probably not in our best interest. We discussed having a captain move the boat south with or without us. Most of the captains we discussed this with said a trip in January could be tricky. Most figured 3 days if all went well. Having just had an operation, the cost of hiring a captain and related travel, fuel costs, our airline tickets to and from the boat, and the cost of fixing our AC/Heating (required by all potential captains) we decided to leave the boat in a marina.
Afraid of what, well let's see. There is all of the maintenance stuff that is not taught in sailing classes which must be learned on the run, the funds needed to keep our to be home afloat, having the right repair parts when needed, and recognizing we really aren't in control but must flow with the circumstances.
Oh yeah we will be back on the boat as soon as possible. Afraid, but going for it.

Tags
canadian , carribbean , television

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.