Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006

dwbecker is on a distinguished road
Capt,

There is only one in DC as mentioned above. It has a LONG waiting list. Other options include Deale MD and Annapolis. Depending on how far south you want to live from the pentagon, there is a Marina in Woodbridge that has several yachts in it that are big enough to be live aboards, but I dont know if they allow full time live aboards. That is about a 1 hour commute from the Pentagon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2006

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
What about N. Va., across the Potomac?
Old 08-24-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Here is the trick with the Gangplank. If you buy a boat that is for sale there. The slip is grandfathered in. I actually know a gal who bought a crappy house boat there just to get the slip. Within a few weeks, she brought in her boat and moved aboard. That is why the list is so nutty there!

Almost all of the Marinas in Annapolis allow liveaboards now. In fact, all of the Marinas in Annapolis are openly advertising their amenities for liveaboards. Herrington Harbor North in Deale allows liveaboards. That is about 40 minutes from DC and is very nice. Expect to pay $200 per month liveaboard fee in addition to the slip fees on the Bay.
Old 10-16-2006

pdserv is on a distinguished road
Hello,

If any of you are still looking for liveaboard boats at gangplank w/grandfathered liveaaboard status, I will probably place my 1993 Hunter Legend 37.5 for sale in the next month or so. Transferring out of the area.

Photos etc. will be posted soon.
Old 12-02-2006

leon7001 is on a distinguished road
Live Aboard in DC

Have you decided to sell? I've just started looking and marina location and availability is clearly critical.
Old 02-27-2007
SV Early Liberty

SVEarlyLiberty is on a distinguished road
Live Aboard in the D.C. area

We live aboard our 37'Tayana in a marina that caters to liveaboards. Its in Fort Washington, MD, with a commute under 1/2 hr to the capitol. Tantallon Marina has new floating docks, and is reasonable in slip fees. We searched all over before coming here, and we haven't regretted our decision. Most marina's in upper Virginia do not allow full time liveaboards, and since my husband works in D.C., Annapolis, Deale, and others were too far. Capitol Yacht Club and Gangplank had 3 year waiting periods, and were pricy. If anyone needs further info, please contact us. The marina also has another section of new docks that are slated to be opened this spring. Deep water was a necessity, as our boat has a 5'9 draft, and Tantallon, off of Swan Creek in a protected harbor, met our needs.

Linda and John
S/V Early Liberty
Old 07-05-2007

Raeofsun is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the info about Tantallon Marina. I looked it up on line to get more info,but that very limited, mostly just a phone number to call. No one ever answers the phone and left many messages, whice have yet to be returned.
If you don't mind answering a few questions, about thier services and rates, just a ball park figure would be nice. Does someone work at the Marina Daily, since no ever answers the phone. I used to live in Fort Washington, Md, so I'm familiar with the area.
Old 07-05-2007

Raeofsun is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the info about Tantallon Marina. I looked it up on line to get more info,but that very limited, mostly just a phone number to call. No one ever answers the phone and left many messages, whice have yet to be returned.
If you don't mind answering a few questions, about thier services and rates, just a ball park figure would be nice. Does someone work at the Marina Daily, since no ever answers the phone. I used to live in Fort Washington, Md, so I'm familiar with the area.
Old 07-06-2007
SV Early Liberty

SVEarlyLiberty is on a distinguished road
Hi, You can reach us at 301-203-1532 after 5 pm EST. We are the new dockmasters here at Tantallon, and will be happy to answer all your questions. You can also email us directly at early_liberty@msn.com

Looking forward to hearing from you,

John and Linda
Old 08-13-2007

maxheadspace is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrognomicon View Post
Jade, I'm looking too. The Gangplank appears to be the only liveaboard marina near the city, and I imagine the waitlist is years long. Any other ideas? Annapolis would be easy, but the commute to Rockville would be a nightmare.
I live near the Bay Bridge and commute to Arlington, Virginia every day. It's a tiresome drive, but there are people that travel to Arlington from the Eastern Shore! My ex drives to Rockville from Annapolis. Edgewater is a little bit closer than Annapolis and has multiple marinas. I know at least one has vacancy, as they just sent me a quote.

Good luck!
Max