Small Live-Aboards? - SailNet Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 03-29-2015 Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to markarsenal
Small Live-Aboards?

I'm looking at a Cat 27 tomorrow. I'm working on living aboard whichever boat I buy (this will be my first).

I've read that Cat 27s are generally no-frills comfort-wise and most people are counseling I not try living on anything less than 30'.

Anyone here that can tell me some of the small and inexpensive boats they've lived on for a whole season or more? Looking for some "look out for..." comments.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 03-29-2015
That Drunk Guy

Re: Small Live-Aboards?

I lived on a Tanzer 27 for 3 years. and loved it.

Hallberg Rassy - Monsun 31
post #3 of 45 Old 03-29-2015
Just another Moderator

People 'live' in cardboard tents in Stanley Park...

It's a matter of your personal needs and tolerance. You've indicated you're OK with a minimalist type of lifestyle. Living alone a C27 may well be just fine.

In our climate, I think a boat with some light below is important.. so reasonably large ports to let light in, a plexiglass companionway dropboard helps there too. Another issue, for this area, is watertightness.

Eliminating deck and window leaks will go a long way to making whatever boat you choose more inhabitable. Constant battles with damp and humidity is not only uncomfortable, but unhealthy generally and supports mold and mildew and the associated issues with those. With shore power available a dehumidifier is almost as much a priority as a heater.

Sanctioned liveaboarding is not cheap in Vancouver.. on-the-hook is a song and dance routine generally going into False Creek for shelter (max 2 weeks) and out on the bay until you requalify for another 2 weeks in the Creek. In big westerlies, it's common to find one or two of those boats on the bay ashore on Kits beach. Shore access, where to leave your dinghy, etc etc complicate that lifestyle esp if a daily commute to work is in the mix.

Long term you'll appreciate the extra space, esp if you decide to cohabit with someone at some point. The larger boats will typically come with more amenities and better equipment (batteries, charging capacity, fridge? etc)

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #4 of 45 Old 03-29-2015
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

I owned a Catalina 27 for five years - it was a great boat for day cruising, but not big enough for a live aboard by a long shot. It sailed very fast, even with just a 100-percent jib and full main in light winds. It rolled a lot at anchor, and when the weather got nasty, the ride could be pretty wet at times. My Cat was a 1981, the cabin sole was flat in the middle, but curved on the sides, which provided sufficient head room for my 6-foot frame in most areas of the interior. The head, however, only had about a 5-foot, 7-inch clearance, which meant I banged my head a lot if I wasn't careful.

Mine was powered with a Universal Atomic-4 gasoline engine that ran like a Swiss watch and you could barely hear it running. It pushed the boat along at hull speed when only at half throttle. Good combination!

I spent 10 days on the Cat one summer in the lower Chesapeake, and by the time I got back home, I knew that boat was too small for coastal cruising and living aboard. That's why I purchased the Morgan 33 Out Island. Lots of room, great, dry sailing boat, easy to single hand.

Gary
shadowraiths likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to travlineasy For This Useful Post:
markarsenal (03-30-2015)
post #5 of 45 Old 03-30-2015 Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to markarsenal

I'm on the wait list for a liveaboard space on Bowen now, and can keep my EastVan apartment till I draw the short straw there, so less concerned with "doability" than specific antecdotes.

Just soliciting peoples' stories of small liveaboard experiences... What was hard, easy, expected, unexpected. Did cooking craft beer on your propane burner get you in trouble, does canning your marmalade in winter make you any friends, how hard is it to adjust to warm beer, etc etc etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
People 'live' in cardboard tents in Stanley Park...

It's a matter of your personal needs and tolerance. You've indicated you're OK with a minimalist type of lifestyle. Living alone a C27 may well be just fine.

In our climate, I think a boat with some light below is important.. so reasonably large ports to let light in, a plexiglass companionway dropboard helps there too. Another issue, for this area, is watertightness.

Eliminating deck and window leaks will go a long way to making whatever boat you choose more inhabitable. Constant battles with damp and humidity is not only uncomfortable, but unhealthy generally and supports mold and mildew and the associated issues with those. With shore power available a dehumidifier is almost as much a priority as a heater.

Sanctioned liveaboarding is not cheap in Vancouver.. on-the-hook is a song and dance routine generally going into False Creek for shelter (max 2 weeks) and out on the bay until you requalify for another 2 weeks in the Creek. In big westerlies, it's common to find one or two of those boats on the bay ashore on Kits beach. Shore access, where to leave your dinghy, etc etc complicate that lifestyle esp if a daily commute to work is in the mix.

Long term you'll appreciate the extra space, esp if you decide to cohabit with someone at some point. The larger boats will typically come with more amenities and better equipment (batteries, charging capacity, fridge? etc)
shadowraiths likes this.
post #6 of 45 Old 03-30-2015

I've been very happily living aboard my 22' cutter for 4 years with my dog. This year I added a mate and it shrunk a bit but we have no intentions of going larger. Its all about mindset. If you are attempting to take your shore side life with you a Cat 50 will be to small. There will be a breaking in period and growing pains so be patent. I think the number one boat would be the Ericson 27. They are very strong, cheap, easy to maintain and dozens have done very impressive offshore passages. Smaller is always better, safer and more fun
post #7 of 45 Old 03-30-2015
Dragon Mod

Dock

Rather a long thread but it started when Shadow was looking for a small-ish boat to live on and ended up with a C27. She's been living on it for about three years or so by now and has posted changes she made to the interior to make it a liveaboard.

Just beginning to shop around... would love feedback/ideas...

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
post #8 of 45 Old 03-30-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Those of you who have lived or are thinking of living on board a sub 30'er ..... how tall are you ?

That has always been my problem with smaller boats. If I was six inches shorter (I'm just on six feet) I reckon I could have coped with living on a 30'er but for me simply not comfortable.

Could have done it if cruising and not working but not live aboard and workling.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
post #9 of 45 Old 03-30-2015
That Drunk Guy

I am 6' 4". My Tanzer 27 had headroom to about 5' 11". Again, I lived on it for three years. Lots of stooping, lots of head bumps. But at 6' 4" its hard to find enough head room on any boat. I sit a lot, stand under the open hatch sometimes, etc. I now live on my HR Monsun 31, and still have about 5' 11" of headroom. It is what it is... I haul Ice for the icebox, don't have a microwave, a shower, or a TV.....but I wouldn't trade living aboard for anything.
souljour2000 and shadowraiths like this.

Hallberg Rassy - Monsun 31
post #10 of 45 Old 03-30-2015

I'm 5'9".. I lived aboard a Catalina 27 in Southern California for three years. No headroom issues.
"Normal" people wouldn't do this.. You need to be minimalist, but that's OK. It was a good 3 years. Not comfortable, but good.. great having the boat, which I couldn't have afforded otherwise.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.