Lake Michigan Liveaboard? - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tbone
  • 1 Post By Siamese
  • 1 Post By Sal Paradise

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-05-2015 Thread Starter

Lake Michigan Liveaboard?

I'm over the house and yard, with lots of stuff thing. I'm 45 years old and worked 25 years as a paramedic and I have decided to chase my dreams rather than just sit and wish. One of those dreams is to live on a sailboat. I have minimal sailing experience but would take lessons. I have good mechanical skills and I'm an aircraft mechanic so I should be able to handle basic boat maintenance. I'm beginning a new career as an airline pilot and will most likely be based in Chicago.

So here is the questions: Are there any liveaboard friendly marinas on Lake Michigan, and what boat would you recommend?

My biggest concerns are how to handle sewage and the inevitable winter months.

Any advice is appreciated.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-15-2015

Re: Lake Michigan Liveaboard?

Before buying a boat, pay close attention to the design. Bigger isn't always more comfortable. The shape of the hull, amount of ballast, the draft, and the keel will play critical roles in how comfortable the boat is when swinging around on the hook or at the dock when the wind picks up or when a boat comes in and creates wake. A round bottom will roll a lot more than a deep, double curved hull.

Some people will tell you that living on a boat smaller than 30 ft just isn't comfortable. They've either been living on the wrong boats, or they feel like they need more than they actually do. Or they're living with a wife or girlfriend, and possibly kids, in which case, they have a valid point. Anyways, a small boat has many advantages. The cost of maintenance and repairs grows exponentially when you increase the size of the boat drastically.

I can't speak of which marinas to check out since I'm in VA, but I can say that you don't have to spend money on sailing lessons to learn to sail. Sailing lessons can get expensive, and you'll need a good handful of them to know what you're doing in different weather conditions. You'll never feel like you learned all you need to know. Once you get your boat, go out on a light day and stay close to the marina. Just a few hours. You'll learn fast. Be friendly with your neighbors in the marina and ask if they want to go out for a day sail. Supply the beer and you'll get lots of "yes" answers. Tell them you're new at this and ask questions. You'll learn a lot by probing around on these forums too. Get books and read them. You don't have to spend lots of money to learn to sail or to live comfortably. You don't need a $20k or more boat to be comfortable. Actually, I would recommend to anyone that gets their first liveaboard boat that it should be something cheap, small, and practical. Something you're not afraid to bounce off a dock on and smudge your paint job. Any boat can be nice inside and out with care and maintenance and quality materials. But a $30k boat that's meant for weekending or piling 8 guests on that has a round bilge and is meant to go fast isn't going to make the best liveaboard. Or even a good one. There are tons of boats to consider, and tons of boats not to consider. Read around for a while. I can tell you that someone on this forum asks what the best boat is practically every day, and its always the same answer. Just poke around and don't rush into buying something right away. With that being said, the boat you choose doesn't have to be the boat you spend the rest of your life on. The beauty of living simply on a small boat is that you've gotten rid of most of your things, so moving onto another boat can be done in a matter of hours if you haven't packed crap into every nook and cranny.
dannynuenann likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-15-2015

Also, congratulations. You'll love it. It's a very free feeling.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-16-2015

I have a few decades of experience sailing Lake Michigan, but never as a live-aboard. I'm in Muskegon, Michigan.

I'll limit my comments to living aboard on southern Lake Michigan, and your sewage question. With regard to boat choice and learning sailing and seamanship, those are issues for considerable study on your part. There are plenty of resources available to you, and when you can't find the answer, there's always Sailnet.

Recommending a boat to you, at this point, based on the information you've given or are able to give at this point would be pointless. Example: I live in Michigan, can you recommend a car for me? As difficult as it would be to get that right, recommending the right boat for someone would be more difficult by a factor of 10. For reasons you'll learn as you go along.

Okay...never mind... get a Pearson 30 from the 80's. Easy, huh? Or, an O'Day 34?

If you're going to be based in Chicago, can I assume that you need to be within a reasonable driving distance of the airport? There will be X number of marinas that are close enough, and then it's just a phone call to ask them if they allow live-aboards.

The sewage thing is simple enough. The boat will have a toilet with a holding tank, and it will need to be pumped out regularly. Motor your boat to the pump out dock and they'll pump out the waste and charge you a few bucks. Most boats have holding tanks, although some have composting toilets or porta potties.

Pumping sewage overboard is a serious offense.

"Gray" water, or water from the sinks and showers simply goes overboard.

After living through 61 winters in Michigan, I can guarantee you I will never live on a boat in this area in the winter. There could be someone who does it, but I would consider it impossible.

Any marina subject to freezing (that's ALL of them) will turn it's water off in the winter.

Many marinas turn off the electricity in the winter.

You would have to use a "bubbler" to keep the water around your boat moving so it doesn't freeze and wreck your boat. That gets expensive.

Dock surfaces are not maintained in the winter so snow accumulation would be a huge problem.

So, forget about living on a boat in the winter. Your boat will be stored at the marina in its cradle in the winter months. Living on a boat on it's cradle in the winter would be rustic at best. Not doable.

Your best case scenario is that you could live on your boat in the summer and find accommodations on land in the winter.

Factoring in spring maintenance you could expect to launch each year in mid May and take it out of the water before November. This year in Muskegon, late May seemed to be closer to the average. There are those who will brag about launching in April, but there's always some sort of maintenance to be done that delays your launch.

Personally, I have too many hobbies that would keep me from living on a boat. I need space. But, that's me. My solution, ultimately, was to build a house adjacent to the marina where I keep my boat. Many people will agree that smaller boats leave the slip more often, so I'm happy with a Catalina 28 that I can dock solo on windy days, and still sail it anywhere on the Great Lakes.

Your solution will be unique to you, and how often you are actually on your boat will be directly proportionate to your passion for it.

By the way, Lake Michigan is a FABULOUS place to sail.
hellsop likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-17-2015
Old enough to know better

Well I do believe there may be some marinas south of Chicago that have bubblers in the winter. I am going by memory here, could be wrong. It will be cold and docks slippery but with good heating system it will be cozy in the boat. The commute may be long though.

Is this a big airline or one of the commuters, if a big one you could bide some time till you can transfer some place warmer. Commuters seem more regional and transfer might not be possible. Certainly not the business it used to be.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #6 of 8 Old 06-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Well I do believe there may be some marinas south of Chicago that have bubblers in the winter. I am going by memory here, could be wrong. It will be cold and docks slippery but with good heating system it will be cozy in the boat. The commute may be long though.
Hammond does, but they seem "look the other way" liveaboard only. They don't talk about having showers or laundry available, for example. Just the mysterious "late leaver" fee for being in the the water after Nov 1st.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-18-2015
Captain Obvious

Wait - 45 and you are starting a career as a pilot????
Siamese likes this.

Sal Paradise

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #8 of 8 Old 06-21-2015
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I assure you that you will need either:

An insulated boat (not likely)
or
One heck of a heating system. Your boat is going to be sitting in 30 degree water. Every surface of the boat will be at 30 degrees. You can't heat the hull - the entire Lake is your heat sink. So the interior air might be warm, but everything else will be freezing. The only alternative is to find a marina that is in the outflow of an electrical generating plant. There used to be one in Milwaukee but it is now gone.

Fair winds and following seas

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.