Liveaboard in The Okanagan - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By MikeOReilly
  • 1 Post By Tanski
  • 1 Post By newhaul

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-13-2015 Thread Starter

Liveaboard in The Okanagan

Hi Guys, I'm in the process of moving over from the UK to live and work in Canada. I am expecting to be arriving in the Thompson Okanagan around June next year. I am also hoping to live, for the first 12 months or so at least, on a boat (Not a houseboat!) on the Okanagan.

Is this possible? Are there marinas that allow year round residency?

Any help/advice would be welcomed. Cheers!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-13-2015

Re: Liveaboard in The Okanagan

Are you talking Lake Okanagan, as in Kelowna, Penticton or Vernon, deep in the interior of BC? If so I think you'll find the water turns pretty hard in the winter. I can't imagine any year-round liveaboarding there.

Why go fast, when you can go slow

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-13-2015 Thread Starter

Hey Mike, Yeah... Anywhere on Lake Okanagan really. Does she actually ice up? I've been there (Usually around Kelowna) pretty much every winter for the last 10 years or so (albeit only for a couple of weeks at different times) and never actually seen ice on the lake.

I know some marina's in Ontario have 'bubblers' to keep the boats from being iced in so I suppose that may be an option...

post #4 of 9 Old 08-13-2015

I lived for many years in the Kootenay valley (Cranbrook), so my winter experiences are a couple of valleys removed from the Okanagan. It is warmer there, but it's still going to be a mountain winter. The water might stay open, but I bet that's due to wind action more than warmth. People do over-winter in southern Ontario, but that's the same latitude as Northern California. The Okanagan is much further north.

I could be wrong, but I can't see wintering on board as anything more than an extreme activity. Go to Environment Canada website and pull up the historic weather data. That might tell you if it's feasible.

pandrew123 likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
pandrew123 (08-14-2015)
post #5 of 9 Old 08-13-2015

That lake doesn't USUALLY freeze over completely, but does freeze up around shore and in the bays.
It is a kind of big deep lake.
It is a little warmer in that area but still Canada, be prepared for some -20C weather, not a lot but enough that you have to be prepared.
Lived in the mountains out there for 5 years, did a lot of ice climbing and back country skiing. Personally wouldn't think of living aboard during the winter out there. Only place I can think of that would be worse in the winter is the Lower Mainland or the Island. I'd take cold and dry in Kelowna over damp and cold anyday. Froze my butt off everytime we went to Vancouver shopping. Worst place for winter I've ever been in Canada. That includes the Yukon!
pandrew123 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tanski For This Useful Post:
pandrew123 (08-14-2015)
post #6 of 9 Old 08-13-2015

Oh ya canoed the Kootenay River once, beautiful trip, pulled out in Whiteswan Prov. Park.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-13-2015
islander bahama 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I lived for many years in the Kootenay valley (Cranbrook), so my winter experiences are a couple of valleys removed from the Okanagan. It is warmer there, but it's still going to be a mountain winter. The water might stay open, but I bet that's due to wind action more than warmth. People do over-winter in southern Ontario, but that's the same latitude as Northern California. The Okanagan is much further north.

I could be wrong, but I can't see wintering on board as anything more than an extreme activity. Go to Environment Canada website and pull up the historic weather data. That might tell you if it's feasible.?

Mike that point of 42 north latitude is just for one island most of Ontario is north of the 44th parralel also the 42nd is the border between Cali and Oregon also rather cold in the winter there in the sierra Nevada mountains the real difference is marine weather patterns verses continental weather in Ontario. Side note how is the family doing?

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Mike that point of 42 north latitude is just for one island most of Ontario is north of the 44th parralel also the 42nd is the border between Cali and Oregon also rather cold in the winter there in the sierra Nevada mountains the real difference is marine weather patterns verses continental weather in Ontario. Side note how is the family doing?

Yeah, I'm being a bit cheeky about the California latitude and southern Ontario. But southern Ontario is much further south than the Okanagan, which is around 50 degrees. It's gonna be cold in the winter is all I'm trying to tell the op.

My wife's mother died a few months ago. We were with her at the end. It was a pretty good death. Of course this blew our cruising plans out of the water (kinda literally) for this year. But that's ok. We're working on the boat now, and planning some land cruising via motorcycles until we can get going again next spring.

post #9 of 9 Old 08-13-2015
islander bahama 24

Mike I know you were being facetious in the comparison with California. I'm sorry to hear of moms passing but glad you could be there for her.
MikeOReilly likes this.

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to newhaul For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (08-13-2015)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.