Newbie - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

I am just considering the idea of living aboard. I am just looking to connect with a community that has experience in the lifestyle. I don't have a boat yet, but I am considering selling or renting out the house and buying a used boat. It will be my wife and I and to kids (10 and 15). We currently live in the New Orleans area, but are open to relocating. Any help as I begin to research things would be appreciated. I don't even know what type of boat I am looking for yet.

Last edited by wwellman; 5 Days Ago at 04:48 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago

Re: Newbie

My suggestion, don't do anything rash like selling/renting out your home when you don't even know if living aboard a boat is something you really want.
Why do you want to live on a boat? Do you just want to live on a boat, cruise around your local area or sail the seven seas?
Have you spent any amound of time on a boat? What size do you think you need? What is your budget? Where do you want to keep it...on a mooring or at a marina or just take off to wherever?
post #3 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago

Is that what your wife and kids want as well? It's a huge change in life and everyone has to be fully willing to embrace it because otherwise it quickly becomes a drag.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #4 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago

Why?
post #5 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago

post #6 of 12 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for all the concerns, but I'm not looking for another discussion on why. That's always everyone's first reaction. Let's just say, because we want to. What I am really here for is just making connections with others who already live aboard or are considering it. I am more interested in advice on "how" than on "why" or "if".

For instance, I would love some tips on where and what to look for, for a first liveaboard boat.
Markwesti likes this.

Last edited by wwellman; 5 Days Ago at 04:57 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 5 Days Ago

If you want to go beyond what is essentially camping, with two adults and two teenagers you are going to need something like a 45 footer. Even so it will be like living in a small apartment. A little about what you plan on doing would be helpful. Go cruising? Live in a slip in a marina with an occasional short coastal cruise?
post #8 of 12 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
If you want to go beyond what is essentially camping, with two adults and two teenagers you are going to need something like a 45 footer. Even so it will be like living in a small apartment. A little about what you plan on doing would be helpful. Go cruising? Live in a slip in a marina with an occasional short coastal cruise?
We are still determining if we would live aboard at a marina or mooring. We plan to stay in the area most of the week and go cruising on weekends. My job gives me a lot of flexibility, and we may take longer cruises (3 weeks or more) pretty often. I'm not opposed to having one boat to live on and a separate boat for cruising.

Size for a liveaboard boat is definitely a concern with 4 people. That's my biggest challenge right now. Are houseboats worth considering if I have a second boat for cruising?
post #9 of 12 Old 5 Days Ago
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Wow ..... OK so you don't want to answer it but the "why" question is valid.

Nonetheless .... How ?

..... much time have you and your family ever spent on a boat ?

Family of four .... probably a centre cockpit or at least something with a spacious aft cabin and a useable forward cabin. I wouldn't even consider it in less than 45 - 50 feet. Our boat is 42' and the idea of shoehorning two kids into her on a permanent basis gives me the heeby jeebies. btw ... two kids ... one of each or both same sex ? If one of each then you need three sleeping cabins whereas two of same, presuming they are vaguely compatible, could possibly co-exist in the same cabin. Mind you at that age in the same cabin ? Erk.

You see the thing is this. Liveaboard and off cruising are not the same thing. Liveaboard means going to work or school every day. Means having clothes suitable for public consumption, laundered and pressed. Means school books, computers and all that gumph. If your house is even half way spacious, you are really going to notice the loss of facility and they will probably go out of their minds. Your house btw, it is of course as neat as a pin ?

Cruising or even just liveaboard for the summer months, otoh, is a different kettle of fish. Leaving home temporarily to essentially "camp" on the boat. In these cases, unless you have a big budget and and even bigger boat, you have to make allowances but you make them cheerfully because the lifestyle is worth the sacrifice of some comfort and the winter clothes can still be stored at home. Here, all you need are a few pairs of shorts and some lurid shirts. To hell with pressing, though the odd launder won't hurt.

The great wise man, the Searer of Dock VI, really sums it up on his blog. Do have a read.

Soooo ..... going cruising ? Go for it provided, and it is a big proviso, the rest of your mob are keen. Liveaboard ?
Not so much enthusiasm from my perspective.

All in all, tell us what you really have in mind. People here do have the experience and the enthusiam for the lifestyle but don't expect the answers to all be sugar coated.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
post #10 of 12 Old 5 Days Ago
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwellman View Post
We are still determining if we would live aboard at a marina or mooring. We plan to stay in the area most of the week and go cruising on weekends. My job gives me a lot of flexibility, and we may take longer cruises (3 weeks or more) pretty often. I'm not opposed to having one boat to live on and a separate boat for cruising.

Size for a liveaboard boat is definitely a concern with 4 people. That's my biggest challenge right now. Are houseboats worth considering if I have a second boat for cruising?
My previous post crossed a couple so you've already answered some of my questions.

If you want to live on the water with a family and you can find a marina happy to have you (I don't know how easy or hard that is is the US) then I'd start with the houseboat, then think about a small sailboat for weekend jaunts. Good way to slide into it.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.