Looking into Live Aboard life style and need advice. - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... trash bag in a bucket... and you can figure out the rest...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2007
Lady Pirate

Pirate's Booty is on a distinguished road
Hey, just buy the boat and do it! I was in your same situation - sick of renting and roommates, loving the ocean.
I bought my first boat 6 months ago for $30,000 and live on it alone as a lady pirate. The first weekend, I had to learn that you can't flush t.p. down the head - but hey! Live and learn.
If it is your dream, go for it - the rest will come in due time.

Pirate' s Booty
Old 02-14-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Booty!
Where the heck have you been?
Thought maybe you ran off the the Surf.
Glad your back.
Old 02-17-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
They have raised my rent again and I am also looking for a live aboard boat... A sail boat in about the 40 to 65k range. finding a marina here in central Louisiana is another story. Will need to find one fairly close to Lafayette.
I have working the sea commercially since Noah was a cabinboy and can handle about any type of boat out there. But a ketch or Schooner where the sail plan is broken into smaller sails would be best for me.
Am semi-retired with a small Navy & SS retirement checks coming in and working three weeks a month now as an instructor of 100/200 ton master/mate course for those who want to up grade. My own license is 1600 ton Master / 2nd Mate unlimited Oceans with ARPA Radar, GMDSS and the required STCW for those who work on vessels over 300 net tons. So the experience is there... So am looking at various vessels...closer to turn key than project boats.
Not to sure about FG seeing most of my time have been on steel vessels...
Have Fun and Enjoy
Mark aka boasun

Last edited by Boasun; 02-17-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2007

kengoodings is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

We're living aboard here in Toronto on a 35 ft Niagara. It's our 4th winter. There are lots of boats that will suit you as a permanent home, but some are more fun and capable sailors as well. Look for an Ontario 32. They're going for less than $50K Canadian in a buyer's market. It's one of the primo cruise/liveaboard choices for couples...and it has a shallow enough draft to move around in canals and the ICW, they have been sucessfully sailed trans-Atlantic to Europe and will transit European canals with ease. My wife is 6'2" so we bought a 27 year old Niagara 35. She has 6'3" to 4" nearly everywhere. Niagara 35s have a bit more weight and draft. Look at the Aloha 32 as well. Same designer and pattern as a Niagara 35 but shorter.

http://sailquest.com/market/models/models4.htm
Old 02-22-2007

frogman27 is on a distinguished road
My wife and I spent a year looking at boats before chosing. In the 30-35 foot range the best we looked at were O'Days. You could get one for $25k-30K. They have a lot of the features of the newer boats, good solid hulls, and we felt they were built a lot better than the hunter and about the same as the catalinas. We ended up spending a LOT more to get a catamaran, but an O'Day 40 was our second choice and the O'Day 34 and 35 would have been Ok too.
Old 03-10-2007

flomaster is on a distinguished road
Booty is right. Just do it. If you commit fully, don't bother putting anything in storage. It'll just sit in storage year after year and you'll just incur the storage bill. I finally got rid of all my junk last year. Living aboard sounds romantic, but rest assured, you'll give up alot of little creature comforts. If you're not committed, you'll hate it.
Incidentally, I moved aboard a few years back, and I really don't see why more people don't do it. I live on a 32' Islander. Plenty of space for just me, but I have a son, so it gets cramped at times.
Bottom line is you can't enjoy it if you don't do it.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2007

donrr1 is on a distinguished road
I'll be living aboard a 41' boat in the Chesapeake. I haven't read all of the posts in the thread but I did read Cams on the first page, the Chesapeake is the most affordable, most accomodating liveaboard area I have found on the east coast. The northern part of the bay isn't as accomodating to liveaboards as from the Annapolis area and further south. I found one place in Middle River that would allow it and that's all. My slip fees are 266.00 per month, no liveaboard fee, electricity is metered. The marina has a pool, clubhouse, picnic area, gas and diesel fuel dock, pumpout and mechanics on site. It doesn't get much better than that. A 41' boat in NJ has to cost at least $8k in slip fees a year (my guess would be 10k) when an opening comes available in the next couple of years. Things may have changed there, it's been a few years since I inquired. Anyway, being from NE Pa, southern NY and northern NJ would have been my preference but, again, the Chesapeake is much more affordable and accomodating.

Don