Financing/insurance recs for floating home in nyc? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-21-2015 Thread Starter
PeggyL

Financing/insurance recs for floating home in nyc?

Not a sailing question per se, but thought folks in this group might have some info. Building a floating home in NYC and looking for financing/insurance options for this hybrid residence. Having trouble locating a bank willing to give anything other than a personal consumer loan for this, and also tough to find insurance. We have a marina willing to host the project already. Appreciate any/all recommendations! Thanks a ton

Last edited by PeggyL; 10-21-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-21-2015

Re: Financing/insurance recs for floating home in nyc?

House on a barge? Liveaboard boat? Boat that does not leave the dock?

What code/standards is it built in compliance with?

Insurance and finance companies have probably already asked these questions.
If there is no reference standard what are they financing or insuring and for what occurance?

Last edited by Ulladh; 10-21-2015 at 05:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulladh For This Useful Post:
PeggyL (10-21-2015)
post #3 of 18 Old 10-21-2015
Old enough to know better

I would contact others in marina to see what they do

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #4 of 18 Old 10-21-2015 Thread Starter
PeggyL

House on a barge, that could leave the dock via tug, but will likely stay put for a while. I can't personally answer the code/standards question but the architect is NY state licensed and will be working with an engineer.

Banks/insurance companies I've talked to in NY area thus far just dismiss this category of residence all together so looking for names of banks/insurance providers that others know of that may be open to a discussion before I make any more cold calls.

I've found several that offer these services in northwest for floating homes but I'm not in the northwest...
post #5 of 18 Old 10-21-2015

The problem is whether you'll be permitted to liveaboard and keep it tied up in any particular marina over the long term. Unfortunately, it's a nationwide trend to restrict liveaboard access.

That means, to the bank, the collateral could become worthless, if it can't go elsewhere. The sad truth is, there is already such a limited market that it's probably not going to be worth what it costs to build.

Insurance would be a different problem, but they may also tune into the risk of not having a secure port. For them, however, it probably focuses more on how they can wrap their actuarial heads around what risk they are taking for a one-of-a-kind.

Where in NYC? Big place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-21-2015

I don't know if NY or NYC have a code for this type of house but your architect and engineer should be able to answer that question.

Before trying to get financing or insurance request the architect/engineer provide a preliminary plan, construction cost estimate and reference standard, including a preliminary contract agreement for the marina or other location that will provide utility connections.

You are more likely to get some interest from banks or insurance companies if they have more confidence in the end product.

Developers request this package of information from me at the early stages of most land based projects.

1970 Havsfidra 20 by Fisksatra
On the Delaware River at Fox Grove Marina Essington PA
post #7 of 18 Old 10-21-2015 Thread Starter
PeggyL

You are probably right that this information would cause them to think a little deeper about the project.
I figured that information would need to be provided at some point, but that there would be no use providing it to someone that off the bat gives me a big NO about mortgaging/financing this kind of residence (no matter what the details are).
post #8 of 18 Old 10-21-2015

We had one towed into a local marina here a couple of years ago. Its use was an unregulated and the owner lived aboard for a couple of years. When he tried to unload it he couldn't find a buyer for a few years. The unit was finally lost in Sandy. The owner is currently suing the marina operator for $millions for their having rented dock space unfit for its intended use.

I don't remember but the name of the barge may have been Chutzpah.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-21-2015
Dirt Free

Put an outboard motor on the back, build it to ABYC standards, call it a house boat and apply to a marine insurance broker.

Be the man Sharon thinks I am - wg
I can do that
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- wg
Be the master of your own disaster - wg
If you're not laughing, you're not doing it right. - wg
if you can live with the consequences, go for it. - wg
I yam what I yam an' thats all that I yam. - Popeye
post #10 of 18 Old 10-21-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The problem is whether you'll be permitted to liveaboard and keep it tied up in any particular marina over the long term. Unfortunately, it's a nationwide trend to restrict liveaboard access.

Where in NYC? Big place.
I think this may well be the issue. There are lots of marinas that will allow you to live aboard your boat unofficially, but a house barge is kind of flaunting it. At least two marinas I have been to say "they do not allow liveaboards as it is against the law, but lots of folks do spend a lot of time on there boats." Make sure you have the slip approved, and that they will run the necessary sewer lines, as this will be required. I think I remember there was a post of someone here trying to sell a house barge in NYC, and they were unable to. Sure in the North West it is common, but not here, our winters are way worse, weather less predicable and variable, and we are in the hurricane path, though we don't get hit by a lot it seems to be becoming more common.

Keep in mind as well if you don't have a contract that states that you can live aboard you could be found to be violating the rules (or perhaps a law that gets passed in the future that disallows it) and you may be given 30 days to get the barge out of the marina. Where will you take if if no marinas in the region can take it? You may have a contract for it now, but there is no guarantee that you can renew it. So yes it is fraught with risk, and likely one you may have to self insure. Don't be surprised if they require a large bond to move in.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.