SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

need advice on a boat

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  sailingfool 
#1 ·
#2 ·
You sure?

Most people that live aboard a boat have a great deal of boating experience before they even attempt such a feat. Living on a boat is nothing like living on land and can be very dangerous and expensive. Before spending 150K on a boat that you might not know how to sail I would invest in some sailing lesions and spend about 3 years getting used to being on a boat for longer then a weekend.

If you're not planning on sailing it all that often consider a houseboat or something that will not require the constant upkeep of such a large offshore sloop.

Just my thoughts...

#3 ·
One major point that JT1019 hasn't pointed out, is that a large sloop like that will not be very easy to use as a daysailer. Even trips of just a few days take a fair amount of preparation for the boat to be ready for it. I've even heard of a few sailors who live aboard a large boat like the one you've pointed out, that own smaller sailboats for sailing purposes.

If you don't have a lot of experience sailing, it might be a lot wiser to get a smaller boat, and then work your way up to something of that size. Unless, you have a strong reason for wanting to liveaboard, it doesn't really make sense. A large boat like the 40' one you've picked out has fairly serious costs associated with it.

#4 ·
We do have sailing expeirence just with smaller boats. and we have lived in an RV before so we are familiar with the minamalist lifestyle. We have been looking at 40' boats because we are a family of 4 and have a dog so we want something with seperate sleeping areas for each kid and from what I can tell unless I get a newer boat 40' is the size.

I am curios to the expenses and maintainence that you were talking about.

#5 ·
I am going to chime in with some thoughts (which often differ from my comrads, though I do always respect their opinions - except on ice makers, but that is another story) ...

If you want to live aboard - GO FOR IT. Get excited. Make it happen. Take the family... I did. They were some of our best times, and worst times. It was everything we thought it would be, and a whole lot we did not think it would be. THere are beautiful sunsets. Awesome people. Hop in the dink and stroll through the marina. Take the kids out fishing. Drop the lines and go anchor off some distant island. And everytime you think to yourself, "Man, a boat sure is expensive..." just stand up in your cockpit and admire your back yard. Depending on your level of adventure, it may never be the same.

I will make the same assumption my fellow sailors did on your boating experience: little. Living aboard is NOTHING like living on land. Don't believe me? Drive out to the marina the next time a storm blows through. Walk on that boat (even the one you chose) and ask yourself, "Hmm, now where do I wash clothes?" The marina laundromat... which can be an adventure in itself. You think living in a house is expensive, well, a long time ago sailors changed the name of vessels to: Bust Out Another Thousand... which we commonly call BOAT today (haha, made that up a little). Everyone makes fun at me for this one (especially SD), but where are you going to get your ice??? Most boats (except mine, of course!!!) do not have an ice maker. Forget those little trays, they are a piece of junk. Water is limited. A system failure on a boat can be serious and requires immediate attention. Oh, and (duh), did I mention that they CAN sink?? And since you have kids, let me ask you where are they going to play? Where are they going to ride their bikes?

I am not trying to scare you, at all. In fact, I hope that you do it because it will form the basis of the best years of your (and your families) lives. However, there are huge adjustments and costs. Just be aware of it.

As far as boats go, here is my humble suggestion - which is often critiqued and dissagreed with by many other sailors, but that is nothing unusual: buy a newer production boat (Catalina, Beneteau, Jeauneau) that is big, fat and roomy versus a older, "bluewater" (whatever that means... again, another story), narrow beam boat. Catalina especially is a well made boat, has a faithful following and awesome owners group, and is fat and comfortable (Frank Butler probably would die if he heard me say that). It is NOT as well made as many of the other offshore boats, but it is not designed to circumnavigate... instead to be a comfortable coastal cruiser. It is also a lot less expensive for comparable year. However, I will say that I have had my Catalinas out in weather that would be tough to swallow for ANY boat and I am still here to tell about it (though my stomach lining is floating out there somewhere).

Do it. Make it happen. It is awesome and great and worth the frustrations you WILL encounter. My kids love it and it has made a big impact on them.

- CD

#7 ·
I agree with CruisingDad! We moved aboard 4 years ago, smartest thing we've done in a long time. I like the idea of a production boat, too, since you're not planning any big passages in the immediate future. There are many offshore systems you don't need and don't want to maintain yet. For costs, check a previous thread in this subforum 'Looking into liveaboard lifestyle and need advice'.

If you live aboard at a marina, you'll end up feeling in a 'neighborhood' with the most amazing sense of community I've known. Everyone you meet will automatically have an interest in common with you.

Not sure what JT is thinking of re 'dangerous.' Dreams dead of starvation are also 'dangerous.'

#9 · (Edited)
I've never seen a Nautilus before - but I think you've found a pretty cool boat which seems well equipped and nicely designed for how you want to use it. Proabably no rocketship, but for a marina liveaboard, I'd say very special and very presentable. Everything reads to be quality equipment and well done, The electrical system is extra heavy duty, and well beyond most boats of this size. This boat is to production builders like Beneteau and Catalina like a Jaguar is to a Ford Taurus.

Once you develop some comfort in handing her, I think this boat is well equipped for short-handed or singlehanded sailing. Jib and main both furl, doesn't get easier. Getting back into a slip takes careful planning, and can be helped by midships cleats. The one sailing reservation is the 44 ST primaries are seriously under-sized for this application. My 36 has 46 STs and we'd like to have 48s.

As always don't make any decisions without both a survey from a first rate surveyor and an engine evaluation from a mechanic. I'd name her Ocean Gem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.