So I'm buying this boat.... - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-04-2015 Thread Starter
PnJ

Red face So I'm buying this boat....

I didn't just muddle in, I dove in. Mind you, I took 6 months but thanks to the ol' internet and a couple of lifelong sailors, I found myself a 36 foot Hunter which I and my gal fell in love with.
Now that I've bought it, I'm excited and nervous. It's like a first date all over but I'm back at the teenage stage where I thought I knew more than I really did.
It has been helpful here going through the threads, both positive for the encouragement and negative which gave me pause.
Hopefully, I'll have custody of the boat within two weeks. Look forward to being a part of the sailing community.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-04-2015
Just another Moderator

Re: So I'm buying this boat....

Congrats... what year/era Hunter did you get?

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 18 Old 11-04-2015

Neat, you'll have lots of fun with that Hunter.

Good luck,

Gary

post #4 of 18 Old 11-04-2015

Pictures!
post #5 of 18 Old 11-05-2015
4KSB driver.

Dock

This thread is useless without pictures to drool over. JUST saying.

1983 WD Schock Wavelength 24. Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-05-2015 Thread Starter
PnJ

It's 2004 and the only shots I have are from the listing. The Survey Inspection is the 17th and believe me, I'll have photos on that date. I've been out on the boat but wanted to just take it in and not take shots. Plus I was a bit overwhelmed with exactly how much is on a boat of this size. I've sailed 22 footers (catalinas) and also did a couple of weeks over in the Med off the Greek Isles back in the 80s.
Thanks for the well wishes!
One more reason to be retired from the Navy, Marinas are accessable and cheap on em. I'm going to start off at NAS jax and then move to St. Augustine after a bit.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-06-2015

If you havenít had a survey yet, surely you havenít actually bought it yet?
If thatís the case, I would suggest you keep your enthusiasm in check, and think very objectively about the results.
Sorry to sound like a wet blanket, but there is a saying, ďThe best times with a boat are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it.Ē
If the survey is good, then go ahead. But if it isnít, walk. There are plenty of other boats out there.

Who would be mad enough to convert a perfectly good Ketch into a Brigantine Schooner?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Read about this major refit at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Also items for sale.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-06-2015
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Sounds like you've put earnest money down on the boat with the intent to buy, provided the survey is to everyone's satisfaction. If you don't know (and others can chime in who have more experience with this), if the survey shows something is broken or not in the condition that the broker or owner had said it would be when you were considering the boat, then you can renegotiate to either have them fix it or take a certain amount off the sale price. If you are buying the boat on credit, the value the surveyor gives in the report might also affect whether the bank is willing to loan you the amount you had agreed to buy it for, so you might have to come up with a larger down payment. If something is really bad, like spongy deck, evidence of hard grounding on keel, etc., then you might just want to walk away. You should be able to get all the earnest money back, but you would lose the money you paid for the surveyor and for the haul out. But better that than buy a boat with serious issues...

Oh, and boat surveyors might take a quick look at the engine or rigging, but it's my understanding that they don't do a close inspection of these things. I paid for an engine survey, but it was still only a cursory inspection and I wasn't very happy with it though the engine has turned out to be good. Luck was with me.

Good luck to you!! It does seem to be the kind of thing that you just have to jump in with both feet and hope for the best. Send pics

Last edited by gamayun; 11-06-2015 at 02:19 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-06-2015
Cruising at a snail pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnJ View Post
Hopefully, I'll have custody of the boat within two weeks. Look forward to being a part of the sailing community.
Congrats! A 2004 Hunter 36 should be a fun comfortable little boat to sail around on.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #10 of 18 Old 11-06-2015 Thread Starter
PnJ

All correct on the purchase being contingent on the Survey going ok. Yes it's being pulled out after we first do a test sail/run on it. Even though it had a survey done in May, I'm doing another one cause, well anything can happen in 5 months/6 months.
We are prepared to walk or renegotiate as the case may be, but I'm also prepared to break out the bubbly. Especially as it's the happiest day until she is sold(so yeah, I've heard that one too, as well as Break Out Another Thousand).
We shall see shortly but can't wait to have her and start sailing the St. Johns river to begin with and then off the coast after I get her over to St. Augustine. That begs a question.
Anyone take the ASA classes from Commanche Cove or anywhere else. They charge 595.00 but I'd rather know more than less so I'm going to end up taking them over the next year.
Again, thanks for the words of advice.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.