Slips - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-21-2015 Thread Starter

Slips

I am looking for a safe, friendly marina in or near Westchester county NY that would accept live aboards. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-21-2015
Old enough to know better

Re: Slips

What side of the county do you want to be on? I am on the Hudson, at Haverstraw Marina, and I think that is going to be the closest that keeps boats in the water in the winter on the Hudson side of Westchester. It is across the river. They don't officially allow live aboard, but don't seem to care as long as you keep a low profile and keep the boat neat. There is also Liberty Landing, Newport and Lincoln Harbor in New Jersey with year round in the water storage. Not sure about the other side of the county on the Sound though.

I would not recommend asking over the phone, as all marinas in the area will officially say NO LIVEABOARDS, but if you show up reasonably professionally dressed they will give you the scoop. Over the phone ask for winter wet storage, if they don't have that you know it is not worth a visit as that is the minimum. Some are more forthcoming than others. Some say no we don't allow liveaboard, but don't mind if you spend a lot of time on your boat. Things like that.

Also you don't say what kind of amenities you need or want. Some marinas have lots of stuff, while others will barely have bathrooms. Though any marinas will likely have limited winter availability.

Also are you looking for full time year round liveaboard, or seasonal, or even part time seasonal?

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #3 of 10 Old 12-21-2015 Thread Starter

Hey thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate the tips. I encountered the same "no live aboards" from marinas when I lived in Florida. I did eventually find one that was accepting. I would prefer to be on the Westchester county side because that is where I am from but I am open to and familiar with Haverstraw. It is a beautiful region where we live. I want to make a change and get back on the water. I am looking for the right boat currently but want to be sure to have a slip for her before I commit to the purchase. Thanks again for the help! I'll be humbly looking around for a marina that would be accepting of a quite neighbor.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-22-2015

Well I know Viking Marina is accepting of liveaboards, but only in the summer. I imagine lots of the marinas are willing for the right person. It is a fine line between sneakaboard and not permitted but tolerated liveaboards.

Yes we live in an amazing place.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1976 C&C 33
post #5 of 10 Old 12-22-2015

If a marina is not set up for liveaboards, I would assume life aboard would be pretty rough. No pumpouts, no fresh water, etc. Would the docks be clear of snow and ice?

Good luck on the search. I would check the Long Island Sound side of the county, up through Stamford, maybe even Norwalk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-22-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on the Viking Marina. I guess I am going to have to just get on up and knock on the dock masters door to see what's available for me. I suppose the uncertainty of not having a "permanent" slip through the winter months will encourage me to do some networking until I can find the right Marina. I suppose the sound side of Westchester into Connecticut might give me more options. SailNet was my first step to reaching out. Now I have to "pound the pavement" ever so gently as to not to disturb anyone with my inquiries. So many slips are taken around here by the dock queens of "elite" owners. I hope I don't hit too many road blocks and get so discouraged that I give up on being back on the water. Thanks for all of your help and tips!
post #7 of 10 Old 12-22-2015

Do you already have the boat? If so, where is it now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-22-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Do you already have the boat? If so, where is it now?
No. I don't have a boat yet. I want to be able to have a home for her first. I'd hate to find the right boat and have no place to keep her. Just trying to explore some options by asking around for some advice on welcoming marinas. Some can be a bit too stuffy for me.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-22-2015

That's good, this is probably next winter's storage that you're researching now. I'm sure you'll wait until the spring to buy. It would likely be impossible to move a boat in during the winter anyway. Many harbors ice over. You should also know what provisions are available for de-icing in the marina you choose. Bubblers are common, but you probably have to furnish your own. Obviously, you'll need shore power available. Consider a backup plan during a power outage (inboard or portable generator).

Marinas do have their own personality and that's going to be a little difficult to research, without speaking to folks that are based there. While stinkpot vs. sailor rivalry is usually in good fun, being the only sailboat in a dominantly powerboat marina can often be tough. You might want to ask about the mix or whether there is a leaning.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #10 of 10 Old 12-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If a marina is not set up for liveaboards, I would assume life aboard would be pretty rough. No pumpouts, no fresh water, etc. Would the docks be clear of snow and ice?

Good luck on the search. I would check the Long Island Sound side of the county, up through Stamford, maybe even Norwalk.
Yea, Haverstraw does not have water or pump-outs so I am using the facilities and have to drag water in jugs. Not the end of the world, but not luxury living either. Showers are warm and clean. Like 15 or so boats there, I think there were more in previous winters. I have heard a couple of folks decided to go south and a couple of others hauled out for the season to do maintenance. Last winter was pretty brutal. I hear they have a once a week "water party" where they bring out a hose down the dock once a week, but have not seen it yet but I work a lot. I have been going thru about 2 gallons a day so far, one bottled, and one refilled from the tap. Works OK for now.

1976 C&C 33

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.