downsizing - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter

downsizing

I'm leaving Tuesday to bring my cal 29 back down the icww. From Va. To Fla. I've moved out of my apartment and been crashing with my girlfriend of 5 years this past week. Sold my bed, tv, and a bunch of other little things. 2/3 of my clothing went to charity. I've even sold my Explorer and downsized to a 50cc scooter. Which I may have to downsize to a folding bike but I'm determined to keep the scooter if I can fit it on the deck while cruising. The cash I've made has gone back into the project and trip back down.

Everything I own now fits in a neat little corner of the garage. I'm taking the plunge. I'm moving aboard. I've tried to prepare myself for this for years. Yet I know I'll never be 100% truly prepared. Anxious and excited...

Fair winds my friends,
Sebastian
Attached Thumbnails
20151230_202133_1451573616578.jpg   $_3_1451573836154.JPG  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-31-2015

Re: downsizing

Many years ago, when bicycling across country with all my possessions strapped to the luggage rack, I stopped mid-span on a bridge to admire the view. While gathering in the beauty I realized that if tossed my bike over the handrail I'd have nothing at all. It was a wonderfully liberating thought. I hope you too enjoy your simplification.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-31-2015

Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Same here, Seb !

If it doesn't fit in the seabag or Val-pack; it doesn't "go"; aside from gear annd tools, of course
Sold the house, got rid of 40 years worth of crap and put a bunch in storage. Crashing with the"Commodore" until fair(er) Weather and then a season (more) work on tthe boat. Then I'm off to parts unknown/unvisited

Best to ya,
Paul

S/V Chrysalis
'80 Watkins 27
North East, MD
post #4 of 14 Old 12-31-2015
Boat Bum

No wife, no kids, no debt.

Last edited by sharkbait; 02-01-2016 at 07:50 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I'm equally anxious and excited. Some days more anxious and vice versa.

Shark bait - it makes me happy to hear from someone else living on a cal 29. I've researched and researched over the past 4 years. I don't know it all by any means but I definitely tried to make an educated decision.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-31-2015 Thread Starter

Hudsonian - that thought is liberating. It's freedom imho
post #7 of 14 Old 12-31-2015
Boat Bum

No wife, no kids, no debt.

Last edited by sharkbait; 02-01-2016 at 07:49 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-31-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorseb View Post
I'm leaving Tuesday to bring my cal 29 back down the icww. From Va. To Fla. I've moved out of my apartment and been crashing with my girlfriend of 5 years this past week. Sold my bed, tv, and a bunch of other little things. 2/3 of my clothing went to charity. I've even sold my Explorer and downsized to a 50cc scooter. Which I may have to downsize to a folding bike but I'm determined to keep the scooter if I can fit it on the deck while cruising. The cash I've made has gone back into the project and trip back down.

Everything I own now fits in a neat little corner of the garage. I'm taking the plunge. I'm moving aboard. I've tried to prepare myself for this for years. Yet I know I'll never be 100% truly prepared. Anxious and excited...

Fair winds my friends,
Sebastian
Good for you! Best of luck on your adventure.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
Same here, Seb !

If it doesn't fit in the seabag or Val-pack; it doesn't "go"; aside from gear annd tools, of course
Sold the house, got rid of 40 years worth of crap and put a bunch in storage. Crashing with the"Commodore" until fair(er) Weather and then a season (more) work on tthe boat. Then I'm off to parts unknown/unvisited

Best to ya,
Paul
This is our plan for 2016. I think it's going to be a good year....
post #10 of 14 Old 01-01-2016
Beyond The Pale

Congratulations. I like to read the stories here of those that are doing it properly. (I downsized too; I find that a 3200Kg Boat is as much as I can handle these days...)

One thing to consider:

I knew two couples who made a go of it. They didn't know each other, but curiously, they both had new Tayanas. They cut their Lifestyle to a bare minimum... and then they started accumulating more Stuff. Stuff Happens. Christmas, Birthdays, Inheritances...
They both came to the same solution: a Self Storage unit within biking distance of their Home Port. I have no idea what these cost now; back then, it was around $75 a month for one big enough for the Stuff, and a small Working Area for those things too noisy, or smelly, or disgusting, to be done onboard.
Note that what they were doing was entirely by choice; among them was a Teacher, a Nurse, a Veterinarian, and an Airline Pilot. That last one ended up getting a _second_ Storage Unit, just for his new Mercedes.

Every once in a while, like this morning, I think about Living Aboard. Utter nonsense for me of course. I _like_ my Stuff... my Piano, my Dining Room Table, my Books, my Cars, my Laboratory, and on cold mornings like this, my Bathtub. A good long hot soak on occasion cures my ills.
(I spent Christmas week on the Boat. It was very nice and quiet; practically nobody visits their Boats then. The Fourth Of July was unbearable.)

ČErindipity

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.