How many liveaboards pay more? - SailNet Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 77 Old 01-03-2016 Thread Starter

Question How many liveaboards pay more?

I have heard some places charge extra for liveaboards, if they even allow it. One reason I know many do not allow liveaboards is due to not having adequate/appropriate pump out facilities, such as a mobile pump out out either using a boat or trailer. Fortunately, where I keep my boat they have "valet" pump out for members. Another is winter water, which they also have here (Maryland Yacht Club).

But... do you pay more because you are a liveaboard? If so, what is the rational?

It seems that the perception of liveaboards has changed, more negative view than I have ever noted... maybe because I am now living aboard 90% of the time and its become a topic of interest for me and other fellow liveaboards I speak with.

Thoughts?

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 01-03-2016
░░░░░░░░░░

Re: How many liveaboards pay more?

Rationales:
1-You need them more than they need you, liveaboard space is rarer than transient.
2-You'll be using more electricity since you'll be there all the time.
3-Water, again, you'll be using more of it.
4-Cable or other, see above.
5-Toilet facilities, showers, laundry. You'll be using more of all of them.
6-Insurance. Most places CLAIM their insurance costs more to allow liveaboards.
7-Office expenses. Hey, they might expect to get MAIL and PARCELS delivered and held for them. And they might spend hours in the lounge, or on the broadband. Or simply keeping the lights turned on in the lounge.

And of course if you live there, you might die there, and the cost of having a dock closed
while the coroner comes, and having a funeral director get out to the dock, and all that extra possible paperwork...you know, you have to charge extra in case that happens too. (sigh.)

Bottomest line, I suspect, is that because there are fewer other locations that allow it, they'll charge all the market can bear.
sharkbait likes this.
post #3 of 77 Old 01-03-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Rationales:
1-You need them more than they need you, liveaboard space is rarer than transient.
Agreed
2-You'll be using more electricity since you'll be there all the time. I pay my own electric plus a common electric fee plus a monthly meter fee
3-Water, again, you'll be using more of it.
On a well?
4-Cable or other, see above.
Available at slip holders cost
5-Toilet facilities, showers, laundry. You'll be using more of all of them.
bathroom is rarely used, laundry is paid per wash/dry like any other user
6-Insurance. Most places CLAIM their insurance costs more to allow liveaboards.
agreed, but why? Liability?
7-Office expenses. Hey, they might expect to get MAIL and PARCELS delivered and held for them. And they might spend hours in the lounge, or on the broadband. Or simply keeping the lights turned on in the lounge.
Have a PO Box

And of course if you live there, you might die there, and the cost of having a dock closed
while the coroner comes, and having a funeral director get out to the dock, and all that extra possible paperwork...you know, you have to charge extra in case that happens too. (sigh.)
Agreed , I suppose more wear on the dock boards as well, the gate opens and closes more, etc...

Bottomest line, I suspect, is that because there are fewer other locations that allow it, they'll charge all the market can bear.
What are the benefits for the club/marina? None really, if I hear a boat alarm I usually just ignore it

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by T37Chef; 01-03-2016 at 05:36 PM.
post #4 of 77 Old 01-03-2016
Just another Moderator

I think there is implied security within a liveaboard community.. more eyes watching things more often. I doubt you'd ignore the alarm if you lived there and saw an unfamiliar body on deck next door. That ought to reduce insurance for the marina, but who knows?

The few local marinas that allow and sanction liveaboards do charge a surcharge, another is a co-op.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 77 Old 01-03-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Notes above align in my experience.

Parking is an issue in season.

Using more services is a real cost.

Electrical, in addition to consumption, has crispy problems at connectors that are much more common with liveaboards.

Trash.

Did I mention parking?

The only upside of liveaboards is some minor increase in security when means you have to do something about it.

In my experience you can expect $150 - $300 / month as a liveaboard fee. If you pay the fee you should expect some services like mail handling (packages especially for UPS, DHL, and Fed Ex).

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #6 of 77 Old 01-03-2016

Dock

I don't liveaboard, but there is a $100 surcharge in my marina for those that do....water is provided as part of the slip fee but electric is metered, the County provides free pump-out service, and there are no other real amenities (no showers, no pool, no clubhouse).

Not sure what the surcharge would cover other than the additional water that a liveaboard might use, but for $10/ft/month plus the surcharge it's still pretty economical for south Florida.
T37Chef likes this.

Andy
Key Largo
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #7 of 77 Old 01-03-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I think there is implied security within a liveaboard community.. more eyes watching things more often. I doubt you'd ignore the alarm if you lived there and saw an unfamiliar body on deck next door. That ought to reduce insurance for the marina, but who knows?

The few local marinas that allow and sanction liveaboards do charge a surcharge, another is a co-op.
Sorry that my sarcasm wasn't clear I always keep alert for others, whether a liveaboard or not. I could list multiple times I have called the office or owner (if I have their contact info) about something of possible concern about a boat in the basin I wouldn't just board a boat without permission unless I felt it absolutely necessary.

Shawn

post #8 of 77 Old 01-03-2016

Dock

That idea of security being better in marinas that allow liveaboards is interesting....I like the fact that my neighbors live aboard and help keep an eye on what happens on the dock and can call me if they see a problem with my boat. There is no other security at all where we are other than an unlocked chain link gate!
T37Chef likes this.

Andy
Key Largo
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #9 of 77 Old 01-03-2016

The marina in Everett, WA where I kept my second boat while up in Seattle had a $57 per person live-aboard fee... the marina fee was reasonable at $205/mth for for my 25 footer.... The marina was secured with electronic gate (RFID chip key), manned security (parking and walk through the slips), laundry/shower/bath/toilet facilities, storage facilities, and other amenities... I believe the live-aboard fees were to cover these 'extra' costs of maintaining the marina in tip top shape as it was clean, WiFi worked without a problem, always had electric/water and the pump out dock was a quick two minute trip and it worked all the time.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the marina even though the city of Everett was a sleepy town (Boeing employees)... although the city center was uptick and chic... real nice with some very nice restaurants.
T37Chef likes this.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 01-03-2016 at 06:32 PM.
post #10 of 77 Old 01-03-2016

Some liveaboards just want a cheap place to live and could care less about actually sailing/boating and will not contribute to the good of the marina. I'm sure this is more an issue in some places than others. Perhaps a surcharge is intended to discourage the "cheap rent" seekers.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.