Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006

aphil138 is on a distinguished road
Health Insurance

I am about a year from leaving and not sure I'll make the company retirement plan for Health Insurance.
What do most people who are cruising full time and out of the country a good portion of the time do for Health Insurance. Company names well apprecated
alan
P424
"UNABATED"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2006

Kernix is on a distinguished road
I'm well over a year to living abroad but since I've set up a photographic company name I'll be able to get a self-employed insurance deal. Another option I have is joining a photo association and joining their group plan.

From what I understand it's difficult for a single individual not working to get insurance - could be wrong there though. I researched the whole thing a couple of years ago. So you might want to go with your company's insurance when you retire.

I estimated ~ $400/mo for my self-employed insurance. Don't have any company names though.
Old 04-22-2010

EpicAdventure is on a distinguished road
I don't know if I'll have any luck resurrecting a thread this old, but the question of the OP is still interesting to me.

I'm getting closer to taking a year off from work.

What are good options for health insurance? I'm in good health so am mainly interested in some sort of high deductible plan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2010

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Check out the Health Savings Account (HSA). It's a major medical high deductible policy, coupled with a special savings account that you pay for doctor visits, prescriptions, etc with.
Old 04-22-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicAdventure View Post
What are good options for health insurance? I'm in good health so am mainly interested in some sort of high deductible plan.
Good options? I think you guys beat that horsy to death.

The question is more like what options are available to you, for you.

I asked a couple of out of country health insurance companies and did not get a quote but I did get replies. It appears that many do not sell to people from outside their home country, something about not wanting to compete.

So you likely have to buy locally, though I've heard of those who have insurance and did not. I think it was expensive.

All my private insurance options had a little wee bit of print, sometimes well buried in the contract, that limited their risk. Most were limiting themselves to $20G or there abouts. The ones I asked said they had never heard of that clause being used and that they regularly have claims higher than that. Yeah OK but it was still there and very clear, payments above a certain limit were optional for them. Cost of programs seemed to be about 10% of that limit per year though even that could change each year.

In fact they had so many outs I found it better to self insure. As for high deductible they didn't offer it, to them a high deductible was a couple grand.

Always keep this in mind. If you can get insurance then that company is saying, is betting (and they are experts) that you do not need insurance.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 04-22-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
It a BITCH to even keep insurance on my still in school still living at home children at 22 and 26.

For example in NY your cheep option is Healthy NY BUT it requires that you WORK and its got a stupid LOW cap on drug costs

I believe you will have issues with NON-LOCAL doctors as its been and on going nightmare for me when one child was in school in Chicago with NY insurance and even issues with say being in Buffalo NY and not Northport NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 04-22-2010

Paul_L is on a distinguished road
Here's some possible options if you will be out of the US for 6-months or more:
International Medical Group - IMG

Paul L
Old 04-22-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"The ones I asked said they had never heard of that clause being used and that they regularly have claims higher than that."
Any agent who says an insurer will pay beyond the policy limits, is probably a liar who needs to have their brokerage license revoked. Those limits are the way most "cheap" policies are structured to guarantee a profit for the insurer. Policies without the cheap limits are usually sky high--for that reason.
IMIS is a good place to start. Most, if not all, conventional insurance policies in the US will run sky high ($1000/month) if you want coverage outside of the local geographic area without huge deductibles. Get sick or injured on vacation, and you'll pay through the teeth unless you come home before you get treated.
Old 04-22-2010

EpicAdventure is on a distinguished road
Our plan is probably to spend equal time in US (east coast) and Caribbean. Any idea how well a US based plan would serve me in the Caribbean? (if at all...)

Old 04-22-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
The best health insurance is to lose weight eating fresh fish and other basic foods, get some exercise raising and lowering sails, breath the fresh air, get some sun on your back, and let the stress go as your boat glides day after day across the water.

Please support my