Cokina Sheet with Magma grill - SailNet Community
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 135 Old 02-04-2016 Thread Starter
One of THOSE!

Cokina Sheet with Magma grill

We've got one of the little stainless Magma propane grills on the boat. I'm not a big fan of gas grills but it's got it's uses. ( Mesquite or Pecan charcoal are my preferences)

Anyhow, cleaning the little grill is a nasty job. Grease from burgers, hot dogs, chickens etc. drips down over all kinds of things and it's really best to take it ashore to clean it.

On a whim, I picked up a roll of this Cookina stuff. I just trimmed a piece of it to fit the grill, and the stuff is wonderful so far. Transfers heat, browns the meat, and is a snap to clean up. Nothing dripped on the grill. Thought I would pass this along.

This is the stuff:
COOKINAź Barbecue Reusable grilling sheet

It works.

Expat Life in the Devil's Triangle:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Gringos For This Useful Post:
kentobin (02-04-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 135 Old 02-04-2016

Re: Cokina Sheet with Magma grill

Interesting. Does that make it more like sauteing?

I agree that grills get messy. To limit this, I cook on as high a heat as possible. Dripped fats are more likely to evaporate. I also close the lid, when done cooking, and turn it to full high and let some burn off while we eat. I write the rest off to seasoning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 135 Old 02-05-2016

Neat product - just ordered one from Amazon.

Gary

post #4 of 135 Old 02-05-2016 Thread Starter
One of THOSE!

I just cut another piece of it to fit the broiler rack in the Force 10, did toast on it this morning. No drips. Easy clean in the sink. This stuff is working out well so far.

I brought this up in the first place because I was off complaining about something on another forum, and was noticing how large a percentage of posts are people complaining about something. This makes sense, as most people don't bother to sit down at a keyboard when things go well. And I thought, well hell, why not post about stuff that DOES work from time to time. So...since this one is from lately, I thought I'd mention it. I had just had to clean the Magma again last week, and to do it in the cockpit was a royal pain. Greasy little flecks of stuff all over the place. Wind picking up dirty paper towels and blowing them all over, etc. Spraying Simple Green, Lava hand soap to clean myself up, all that.

Now I've cooked cheeseburgers and steaks on this little sheet, and the grill is still as clean as when I started. The liquid pools out from around the bottom of the meat, but dries on the sheet before it drips off the edge. So far.
travlineasy and oysterman23 like this.

post #5 of 135 Old 02-07-2016

Mine just arrived yesterday evening, and I will try it out tomorrow on my gas grill and let you know the results - should be interesting.

Gary
post #6 of 135 Old 02-07-2016

One of the sailing schools I work with provides these. I am impressed.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #7 of 135 Old 02-08-2016 Thread Starter
One of THOSE!

So far I've cooked cheeseburgers, brats, and steaks on it on the small propane Magma. I'm more of a fan than ever. We just found another benefit.

Week before last we had a rat aboard. No, not a politician, I mean a real four legged rat. He's no longer with us (RIP) but in thinking about where he came from and why he came on board I was focusing on the globs of cheese and grease thataccumulate in the bottom of the grill between cleanings. Yeah, I know I know I know I should clean it back to shiny stainless every time, but I don't. I'm lazy, okay? One of them procrastinators. Anyhow I figure the rat picked up the scent of food during a wind shift and came aboard.

Now, this cooking sheet thing keeps the grill pretty much spotless. All the grease, melted cheese, jalapenos that fell off the burgers, etc. stays on the sheet. Last night I let it cool, rolled it up into a little tube, and carried it inside to clean it in the galley. No mess. No problem. took maybe three minutes. And no food globs left out overnight in the grill.

I don't know how much usage these are good for. I've done six meals on this one so far, and it's still in good shape. I havent' turned it over to use the other side yet, and I still have enough of the stuff on the original roll to cut quite a few more when this one wears out, or whatever it does.

In messing around with it, I've discovered that the cooking sheet heats up faster than the grill itself does. I used to let the grill warm up a couple minutes before putting food on it. This thing is hot much faster.

So far, I still like it quite a bit. I'll be interested in other's thoughts.

post #8 of 135 Old 02-08-2016

I watched the video on it, have you tried cooking eggs on it or even tried baking cookies
post #9 of 135 Old 02-08-2016

Mine will get the acid test tonight with Johnsonville Grillers (bacon and cheddar flavor), sauteed onions and mushrooms and potato cakes mixed with cheddar cheese and onion bits. I'll keep you posted on how this comes out.

Gary
post #10 of 135 Old 02-08-2016

All I can say after a single use is "Fantastic."

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.