Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006

TheRoutens is on a distinguished road
Hobbies as a Liveaboard?

Howdy all,

My family and I are getting our house ready to sell and expect to attain liveaboard status some time next year.

One of the few things that is really difficult for me is to give up my one hobby. Over the last few years, I've become pretty good at hand forging custom knives. However, I realize that there is just no way to put a smithy on a fiberglass boat. So my shop is being sold off and the proceeds will help us get onto our boat.

My question is, what kinds of hobbies to those who liveaboard have as a creative outlet? I've considered silversmithing as it takes a much smaller setup than blacksmithing does. My wife enjoys making beaded jewelry, so silversmithing could be a good complement to that.

Personally, I am not musically inclined and my drawing skills are limited to stick-figures. So those two are out.

What else is out there to keep the creative juices flowing but not crowd the boat or self destruct in the humid marine environment?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

- Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
I am a firm believer that hobbies keep your mind active and help you forget your busy day. For me, the boat is my hobby so fixing it, changing it, sailing it is the way that I relax. It sounds to me like your hobbies are very interesting. Would I be wrong in suggesting that perhaps you might reconsider a live aboard considering your interests?
Old 10-19-2006
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Well in character with stringing bead necklaces and crafting silver jewelry, you could reenact the spirit of the '60s, by making macrame plant hangers, stained glass, and leather accouterments . . . . I'm only joking, since among other diversions, we did all those "hobbies' back in our hippie phase.

Seriously though, we live aboard in the summertime and do share Surfesq's opinion. If you love boats like us and you have an older boat, you will find that sailing often and simply messing around with maintenance and upgrades, will be enough enjoyment and is sure to take up much of your free time.
Old 10-19-2006
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Silversmithing sounds real good. Half the boats out there seem to be making beach jewelry and some boats survive on it. Your hobby might pay for your cruising if you have a flair for design. Get a rock tumbler, some Heineken bottles, some Bombay Blue Gin bottles and you'll have it made. Won't even have to spend hours on the beach looking for "beach glass". Beading is really big too so the two of you will do fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2006

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Always been my problem, all my hobbies require BIG tools, I like building things, and most of my hobby tools weigh in at 6 or 700 lbs each or better!
Figure with my hobbies, as much as I'd like I can't realy break land ties, I'd still need to own some land with at least a pole barn on it somewhere.

Ken.
Old 10-19-2006

EagleSailtwo is on a distinguished road
My favorite hobby is varnishing old and worn out teak, then there are the main and mizzen that haven't seen paint since 1977, Oh, and how about the needed replacement articles such as running rigging, or, those turnbuckles and questionable swagged fittings.....did I mention the leaking stuffing box...too lazy lately to repack...I hear that TEFLON packing will end my worry....and there are the other hobbies, getting ready for winter (New England) making a shrink-wrap cover midships, between mizzen and main....I have a center-cockpit..........Heat....both Espars are working..good for another hobby if one chokes..............If I have extra time, I need to change oil in both my car and my pick-u p (has cap-is mobile storage) Have fun.......I hear bird carving affords easy space below......Much TV and browsing.........better yet, just go sailing and you won't need a hobby!
Old 10-23-2006

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Well, obviously scultpure and such related arts are out. Music is out for you - that's too bad. Drawing and painting is out. What about photography? You'll just need to keep the camera body and lenses in a water tight box probably with silica gel. Or you could take up creative writing - just a pencil and paper - or laptop.
Old 10-23-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Varnishing is a great hobby for those with lots of brightwork...and a necessary one too. I prefer photography, writing, and some jewelry design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-23-2006

Mulcahy is on a distinguished road
Cooking

I cook as a hobby. It is useful, interesting, creative, and adds to one's quality of life. And cooking on a boat is an added challenge. It's a bit of a leap from being a smithy...but you can take a lot of pride in producing a quality meal on a boat - and just think of how many friends you will make. Cheers.
Old 11-01-2006
Lady Pirate

Pirate's Booty is on a distinguished road
So True! I get a lots of work done on my boat by simply cooking a large meal and taking plates out to all my handy neighboring bachelors!

Pirate' s Booty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.