Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Living aboard in St. John (USVI)?

I've been offered a very stable job in St. John (U.S. Virgin Islands) with great benefits. However, real estate and rentals are terribly pricey there. Does anyone if it's feasible to liveaboard a sailboat in St. John longterm?

There are many obstacles to overcome before I make a decision. For instance, how would the islands be for my 2 young children & wife? What's the St. John culture like? Is it safe? Luckily, I've got until January '07 to make a final decision.

Any info., advice, etc. you can provide will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by kwaltersmi; 10-20-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
kwaltersmi...
Last time I was there (2 yrs. ago) there were a number of liveaboards in both the main harbor on moorings and at the east end of the island in coral bay/hurricane hole. I understand the Park Service has been tightening things down there so I don't know the current situation. I think Bill Trayfors might know or you could try the www.ssca.org forum.
The other thing to consider with wife/young kids is the hurricane season. You have to be prepared to get off the boat and lose it if you are gonna stay there year round. It is not a LIKELY scenario but big weather does come through there. Insurance is prohibitively expensive for most people if you are gonna be there "in season". Nice island...some black/white friction and crime but not as bad as St. Thomas. Lots of incredible places to sail to on your time off! Good luck.
Old 11-15-2006

Fareast is on a distinguished road
kwaltersmi,

If you decide not to take the job please let me know. Hell I would live in a shack on St John.

Good luck I hope it works out for you
Old 11-25-2006

CherokeeSailWench is on a distinguished road
I can't help with the liveaboard part but I can tell you two things: St John is the best of the US Virgin Islands and the schools were absolutely horrible about 8 years ago when I was there. You might want to check out the schools before you decide (maybe they have improved) or consider private school or homeschooling your children there.
Old 12-14-2006
Beneteau 440

gilsurf is on a distinguished road
St. John is a beautiful place and a variety of nice people. The people range from local west indians to very rich statesiders to statesiders working very hard to get by on the island. There is a building boom of giant multimillion dollar houses going on and thus affordable housing is an issue. This influx of big money has caused some tension on STJ, but overall, it is much more peaceful than on STT.

Livaboard places:
  • Coral Bay: 20 min drive east of Cruz Bay (main town, port for ferry to St. thomas). Quiet, boating centered, safe, can be packed with boats. Close to Hurricane Hole (only good hole on STJ, new chains going in, etc.)
  • Johnsons Bay: S of Coarl Bay, nice place, but Dept of Nat Resources (DPNR) is trying to kick all out, even those with legal moorings.
  • Chocalate Hole: S Shore, legal moorings available, not sure about dinghy spot.
  • Great Cruz Bay: protected bay w/ Westin at beach, tons of boats, Dinghy dock. Not sure if legal moorings available.
  • National Park: The best deal is to be a Bay Host (like a campground host in the USA). free mooring for a few hours of greeting visiting boaters a day. Many prtected bays on the N Shore to choose from.

Schools: Public are horrific. No public HS on STJ. Private: lower and upper private schools merged into St. John Gift Hill school and it is a good school. 20 min ferry ride to Red Hook on STT and you have VI Montessori school which is a great school with a good community and some STJ folks there.

Cost of Living: it is not cheap here. Food in the markets on STJ is expensive. Restuarants are all high... a $15 entree is considered cheap.

Cruising area: This is a big +++... lots of gorgeous places within a few hours sail. And a day sail to the Spanish Virgins or St. Barts, etc.

Convenience: This the USA and thus we get many things via USPS, direct dial to the US, 2.5 hour flight to Miami, etc. Much easier than down island in that regard. There is even wireless internet (long distance) that works in many places on STJ on a boat.

Hope this helps you in your process.

Cheers!
Old 12-14-2006
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm still weighing all my options and taking things very slow. It's a huge decision.
Old 12-14-2006

trodzen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to trodzen Send a message via MSN to trodzen Send a message via Yahoo to trodzen Send a message via Skype™ to trodzen
You would have no problem buying/moving any boat to the east end to live aboard. I met a guy that lived aboard east end and worked in cruz bay. He hitch-hiked every day to and from work. Said he had never been late to work in a year hitch-hiking across the island.

As far as cruz bay, you won't get in there with a new boat for liveaboard unless you pay-off someone.. too small and too full.

It's a top island on my list but I don't think I would consider taking kids to school there.