SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Living Aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/)
-   -   Gally layout (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/living-aboard/24693-gally-layout.html)

Michael201 11-04-2006 09:02 AM

Gally layout

Having new 62 ft built. Any suggestions on how the galley should be layed out? Wife tends to like the U shaped galley. Seems easier to work in at sea. We're not concerned about loosing space either way.

Goodnewsboy 11-04-2006 10:00 AM

It may not be as big an issue in a boat of that larger size, but the key to a good galley is safety for the cook and minimal motion in a seaway.

Locate low, amidship, and near the roll center. Provide good handholds for the cook as well as rails, etc. as needed to keep the foodstuffs off the deck and the cook away from the hot stuff.

After that, it is a matter of cooking style, refrigeration, stove or range selection, and stowage of groceries.

Just another opinion.

Faster 11-04-2006 12:23 PM

If you're intending offshore use for this boat, consider that it's possible to make a galley too large for safety. The cook should be able to brace or strap into a position that keeps most tasks within reach. Too much open space can make it very difficult to stay in one spot while trying to cook or prepare foods.

camaraderie 11-04-2006 01:06 PM

U shaped is better than linear having had both. Just be sure backside of stove is outboard so the gimbals work! <grin>
We also like a front opening door on the fridge along with the top. It loses more cooling this way but lets you find your stuff and makes better use of the space. Our freezer is top only and this seems to work well. Make sure your builder plans for the best insulation possible if your headed south as this will save you more amps per day than anything else I can think of. If you are adding a microwave and mounting it in an enclosure...make sure you can easily replace it with a different size microwave when the first one fails and you no longer can get one of the same size! Also suggest insisting on 2 20lb propane lockers so you can simply swap cannisters anywhere rather than having to find a fill station. Deep sinks and one of those newer faucets with spray washer head are also nice. Also think about a water filter system at the sink for purifying drinking water from your tanks. Also...think about...how will you brew coffee/tea, toaster/toaster oven plans, spices/spice rack, dishes...since WHERE these things will go and how they will fare at 30 degrees of heel are also important in planning your galley. Where will fiddles and hand holds and safety strap attachments need to be? You will have a big boat with plenty of power I assume and the ability to plan things out that others must work around so you are right to try to think it all thorugh. Good luck!

Michael201 11-04-2006 05:09 PM

We've been through several larger yachts 50 to 60 feet in length and the U shape ones in this length of boat seem to have plenty of room to move around but tight enough to steady yourself when necessary. Even know we will be spending most of our time at anchor or such, it's still a concern. The builder is looking at a reefer/freezer that looks like a typical home version (just a bit smaller) and also the counter top access freezer to boot.

I've written down the 2 propane tank suggestion and the MW issue. Actually, I had thought about that in general (changing out appliances that fail) and brought it up.

My wife has already insisted on a deep large sink with sprayer. He said they use Grohe throughout. Our choice as to which models. We are looking at Sea Recovery as the RO water system. Any other suggestions? Would this not purify all water brought into the boat?

One thing I am looking at is the DACOR coffee maker (built in like MW) that has a water line hooked up so all you add is beans. I know it's expensive but we love coffee and this system is instant!

camaraderie 11-04-2006 08:03 PM

Mike...sounds like things are pretty well thought out already! As to the purifier...even though you are making RO...
1. You are putting it in tanks and running it through plastic piping which can add "flavor"!
2. I've also been on some boats using RO and found that the water has a bit of funny taste to it...don't claim this WILL happen but maybe there's something thatcan happen as system ages or filters aren't kept up or something.
Anyway, a small sink filter...like a PUR undersink filter leaves you with GREAT water for your Coffee! BTW... Sam's Club sells Starbucks beans in 2LB bgs when you decide to provision! (We loaded 64 bags for our trip!...that's why I really got rid of the bow thruster...to make room for the coffee!) <grin>

JakeLevi 11-05-2006 06:52 AM

The U shaped galley is by far the easiest to work in, and the safest, but even with the U shape some other handholds are a great help and safety feature. I have looked at a lot of boats lately and one thing that seems to be lacking is handholds, about the only ones that I see them in is racing boats. You might look at the racers and adopt some of their ideas. They are there for good reasons.

One reason for RO water tasting different is lack of minerals and it picks up flavors from what it travels through. You can add some bottled water and use either teflon food quality tubing, which is best, or SS. Both will minimize any added taste.

Who is building your boat ?

eryka 11-05-2006 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another voice for the U-shape! And extra points if you make it such that the cook can wedge him/herself in by propping his/her butt against one side of the U while cooking in a moderate seaway -- about 24" edge to edge works for us. Attached (if I did it right) is a layout from a much smaller boat that we particularly like in this regard.

I've seen front-loading fridges doors pop open even in a rolly anchorage, so make sure there's a positive fastener, and lips on any racks inside to keep foods from falling out. About planning your storage locker layout - you don't say where you'll be sailing but condensation is always an issue - make sure that there's at least some locker *not* against a hull for storing things that need to stay very dry (bulk flour, for instance). And you need less area for stowing staples right in the galley than you think - unlike on land, where all foodstuff goes in the kitchen - here, you only keep small quantities of things in "high rent" space and keep your back stock elsewhere. This will help keep your galley tight (ex, we keep a small 6-oz bottle of cooking oil in a spice locker by the range, and refill it from a 1/2 gal bottle in the "pantry" in a less convenient location under the settee on the opposite side of the boat.

We tried a PUR filter but it didn't seem to work very well in the somewhat lower water pressures on the boat, clogged up quite quickly. Their customer service was great but the product just wasn't designed for our application. We ended up with a Culligan RV filter with somewhat bigger pore size that's working better.

sailingdog 11-05-2006 08:05 AM

Brita filters also work quite well for filtering water for taste. They remove a lot of the chemical taste and such from the water, but don't depend on having a specific amount of water pressure or such. However, the filter medium in the Brita pitchers doesn't really like being dried out and re-wet...not very good for them...so YMMV.

Michael201 11-05-2006 09:55 AM

I guess the stand up refer in the galley will be designed for marine application and will have the necessary safety designs (good latch with pin and shelving to keep things from falling all over) but I'm going to be sure.

Regarding the taste RO brings, I'll discuss that with the boat builder (new Passport 615) and see if he has thought about that issue.

The U shape is getting more attractive. The only disadvantage I can see with the U shape galley is the size when on the hook and not rocking but my wife feels she won't have too many helpers in the galley as she does in the kitchen at home so the size isn't as important. The only thing is where will the stand up built in reefer and built in coffee system go. I guess that can still be in the CW area.

Regarding hand holds and grab rails, the other models they design seem to be well thought out in this regard but we're going to China to the build site next spring and will be able to tell them where to add extra ones where we desire. One of the engineers will be there with us so we can't make any mistakes.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far.

PS We're sailing the globe (except too far south of the equ) for 2 to 3 years or more.