Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2006

goodnes is on a distinguished road
need good marina's names in Florida

Please help us with good liveaboard marinas in Florida. My husband and I are buying 50' or 55' sailboat to liveaboard. We are moving to Florida in 6-7 months. As I read, I found out that in most good places for decent price we have to put our names on a waiting list. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Florida so good. We would like to be in or close to cosmopolitan city, such as Miami or Tampa areas.I tried to find information on Internet but without luck .
We would appreciate advice and info for marinas on the east or west coasts for decent prices. We would like to put our names on a waiting list as soon as possible.
Thank you.
irinabeatty@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck with that....many marinas in florida are no longer allowing liveaboards, and the ones that are generally have a fairly significant waiting list, especially for something in the size range you're looking at. Also, getting insurance for a boat that is going to be in Florida has gotten much more difficult, as the premiums have skyrocketed, and many insurers aren't even offering it anymore. The marinas close to larger cities are the ones most likely to have longer waiting lists IMHO. Hopefully, someone here has a couple of suggestions, but from what I've read of the threads related to Florida, boat insurance and marinas, it doesn't look very promising for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-24-2006

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
goodnes -- all i can say is good luck -- i live in miami and it is getting tough to find a place - in miami itself there are only a couple of liveaboards - rickenbacker and dinner key - dinner key is city owned and you need a miami address to really get in so set up a po box and try - there is a problem in that it is wide open to see and ne winds when the hurricanes come and some what open to the s and n - but there are a number of people living there and doing ok, even last year - rickenbacker is more expensive and seem to be trying to kick all the liveaboards out but it has excellent hurricane protection -
not sure what is in ft lauderdale but as i understand it there are a few but need again to get on a waiting list, or by the way if a slip becomes available before you are ready TAKE IT as that may be all you get a shot at -- further north there are some slips at titisville --
on the west coast i can not help but from my reading it is getting hard to find -
by the way in south fla for a 40 better be prepared to spend in the neighbor of 750 or more -
then as sailingdog said -- insurance is another problem as many will simply not insure you during name wind season - or it gets very expensive -- i have a 2001 boat that the bank really owns (so i have to carry full insurance) and got insurance via a lloyds subsidary --
need more send me a private email with your email address and i will help you as much as possible but it will not be easy
chuck and soulmates
Old 11-27-2006

Eleanna is on a distinguished road
Try the municipal marina in city of Hollywood.

E.
Old 12-04-2006

rshumway is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rshumway
It all depends on where you are goping in FL. I know of one great private spot in Panama City Beach, and on here in Cape Coral.
Old 12-04-2006

dinkum1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to dinkum1 Send a message via MSN to dinkum1 Send a message via Yahoo to dinkum1
Unhappy Marinas in South Florida

Good...I just read this article that I thought you might find interesting:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business...ostemailedlink
Old 12-31-2006

Zoo is on a distinguished road
Try Tarpon Springs, Fl