Quitting Your Job, Sailing Away... Is it always rosey? - SailNet Community
 554Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 389 Old 08-18-2016 Thread Starter

Quitting Your Job, Sailing Away... Is it always rosey?

I

Last edited by cdsnyder83; 4 Days Ago at 05:50 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 389 Old 08-18-2016

Re: Quitting Your Job, Sailing Away... Is it always rosey?

Get on with it! I bailed at 37. Most folks I met regretted not leaving sooner. Yes, go, get some sea miles, get your ya ya's off, see the world. come back, resume your career, get married, have kids etc. Your going to work until your 70 anyway. Enjoy your health and open mind while you can. Plenty of naysayers who want you to be on the grindstone here...What do you have to lose? So it might not work out, but then you've tried, no harm in of failure for trying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #3 of 389 Old 08-18-2016

I have always thought that at the end of my life when I am siting in the old folks home eating some kind of mush
That i would like to be able to say I am glad I did "fill in the blank"
than I wish i had "fill in the blank"
That being said I am working my year notice and will leave next spring
Good luck with your decision and fair winds
aeventyr60 likes this.

post #4 of 389 Old 08-18-2016

Well I'm finally in the serious planning stages to leave it all behind.
No I don't think it's going to be rosey the entire time, breakdowns, bad weather, dealing with officials in countries I don't speak the language.....In my books all going to be part of the adventure.
If I was in the financial place to do it 15 years ago at your age I would have gone no question!
I'm 2-3 years from casting off the docklines, most of this will be spent selling property, buying and fixing/setup of the new boat, few shakedown cruises, taking a couple nav courses as a refresher....
Been training for this since I was just over a year old!
mbianka and SailorMaggie like this.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #5 of 389 Old 08-18-2016
Wandering Aimlessly

Like anything else in life, there are no guarantees, but you know what lies ahead if you don't go. If that's not what you want, then go. There's no telling what you'll find if you do. Could be better, could be worse, but ya darn sure won't have to wonder if ya shoulda.

John
Ontario 32 - Aria

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

post #6 of 389 Old 08-18-2016

For some it will work out perfectly.

For many it will work out well enough to last a year to a few years before they get tired of it.

For some it will be annoying within a month.

For a few its a Darwinian experience....

partly depends on how well you know what you are getting into and what buying decisions are made. Then there's what training and preparations before anything longer than a few hours doing laps on a lake.

Last edited by Turnin Turtle; 08-18-2016 at 10:06 AM.
post #7 of 389 Old 08-18-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsnyder83 View Post
I would love to hear some thoughts and opinions on this - I hear of people quitting their jobs, walking away from their lives and sailing away - and I only hear the positive side to these situations. They speak of being happy and having no regrets, but what about the flip side? I rarely hear of the failures and people who regret making the leap.

I'm ready to make this decision now, to sail away or not. I'm currently living aboard my Catalina 27 on Lake erie, no house, everything I own in storage and I'm free to sail down to the bahamas. I'm not looking to do this for life, just to take a year or two off from normal life and then go back to work in my industry.I'd be giving up a high paying job as a nuclear power plant tech, a job I hate though and I'm pretty unsatisfied with my life as it is now. I'm a 33 old guy, single and no kids, but would like to settle down and get married at some point, hopefully with kids, so this trip may certainly put the kibosh on those plans. I have lots of options and thoughts to weigh....
Are you kidding? This is a no-brainer. You have everything to gain, and nothing to lose:

1. You're only looking to do this for a year or two, as a "gap year" or mental health break or personally enriching experience.

2. You're young and have no ties and everything is in storage.

3. You have a job skill that is in incredibly high demand, and a job will be waiting for you the moment you need it, so you have a safety net.

There is literally no downside to this for you.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #8 of 389 Old 08-18-2016

Regrets are different than the reality just not being the dream you thought it would be. I am sure there are those who regret the decision to cast off. Read the Rebel Heart saga ending in a navy rescue for one. Hard to see how they wouldn't regret that decision.

I am sure there are far more people who cast off and it's just not livin the dream is they imagined. But, many of those people either are not going to publish the reality, or will share through rose-colored glasses. No one wants to admit failure. And even for those who do not particularly enjoy living aboard and cruising, I think regret is a real strong word when it comes to any travel and life experiences.

This is one blog that comes to mind that I loosely followed as it unfolded because it was a young couple in a small, old boat. They bobbed around the Bahamas for a few months and then sold the boat and came home. I don't think that's how they pictured it going. If you read the blog you can tell the female half just was not experiencing the dream she thought she would. Here's a particularly telling entry Great Mysterious: Green Turtle ATTEMPT but even the fun stuff seems overshadowed with how difficult it was to actually live on a small boat.
post #9 of 389 Old 08-18-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

You're in a very specialized field of work. One that I would think you could easily slide back into if you wanted/needed. That might work for you.

In the meantime, GO!

You're able bodied and young enough to go out and enjoy yourself. Who knows, you might be able to find a girl along the way with the same plans/dreams as you. You never know what, if any, physical or mental limitations you may have in 30+ years from now.

Right now, you can live your life, not be a slave to it. I know what it's like to work without any job satisfaction. You can work yourself day in and day out for that paycheck, but you know there's more out there you could be doing with yourself. You already know what you want, go out and do it.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #10 of 389 Old 08-18-2016

^One would hope that a nuclear reactor tech wouldn't be as clueless as the mysterious green turtle attempt crew.
jephotog and jerryrlitton like this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.