Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006

tacojohnston is on a distinguished road
newbee to live aboard newbee to seattle need help

Just got word from my company that I am moving to Seattle. Really want to give living aboard a try. Just me, no pets, occasional girl friend. Really need to hear from some locals on marinas (close to Beoing Field) and everyone on boat size/make model. The boat will be my second home, I will keep a home for all my land stuff that I will go to some of the weekends but its a ways away. The biggest advantage I'm hoping for is the joy of sailing on the weekends that I spend in Seattle and hopefully similar cost to an apartment. All thoughts are welcome, local comments/contacts are greatly appreciated.

Taco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2006
sv Blue Dolphin

roborider is on a distinguished road
Wow, having lived in the Seattle area for many years.......i believe living on a boat there is going to be tough in the winter. I'd get a boat with a pellet stove and buy lots of sweaters. Recently snowed there!!!
Robert
Old 12-05-2006

winddancer88 is on a distinguished road
I think it's a great idea. Winters here are generally mild, with the occasional cold front blowing in from the north (as it did the week before last, brrr..).
Old 12-06-2006

sailormomma is on a distinguished road
We've lived aboard in Seattle going on 8 years and it's been wonderful. It's definitely a little tougher during the winter months, but since getting a diesel furnace last year, it's been pretty nice. We've lived aboard in Tacoma and now at Shilshole Bay marina in Seattle. We love Shilshole and the Ballard area. My husband works out of SeaTac and it's not too bad of a commute. I doubt they have any slips right now, but it's always a good idea to check subleases. They are doing a major renovation of the marina and may have slips open when it's completed. When we purchased our boat, we just started calling all the marinas, first asking if they had slips and then asking if they accepted liveaboards. It was hard to find one, but we finally did.

Good luck in your search.

Angela
S/V Ghost
www.ghostsailors.com
Old 12-07-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
IIRC it is well north of Seattle proper "The Plant is 30 minutes from downtown Seattle. " and driving time in Seattle is worth money. There are many houseboats in Lake Union, that might be an option. But the question is also, do you want to live aboard a boat that you will use for boating? Power or sail? Or do you want to live aboard a houseboat? It's a big difference. With sailboats, your best bet is probably to contact area brokers, tell them you want a boat WITH a liveaboard slip (they sometimes are sold that way) or a boat and a liveaboard slip, and take advantage of their local knowledge.

And, of course, check out the commuting time to your plant versus the waters you'll have available for sailing in. Don't neglect that some area waters have faster currents than some boats.
Old 12-08-2006

Smile Thanks for some info, still need more

First for those of you who replied, Thank You! I probably need to be more specific about my intentions and what I need.

I hope to live aboard a sailboat, not interested in houseboats or power, I'm not making any judgements just they are not for me.

The bigest info I'm looking for is:
a) slips that allow liveaboards and have vacancies
b) what sailboats work well as liveaboards in Seattle
c) what equipment do I need for the boat

Ron
Old 12-08-2006

Where is IIRC and do they have a web site or phone number?
Old 12-08-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"IIRC" = If I Recall Correctly.

Not a place with a phone #.

What equipment...wow, ask a simple question? A heater for sure, you'll find threads about the pros and cons of various heaters and winter living issues in the different sections.

Buying a (first time?) boat, moving aboard, and living aboard in winter all at once can be a big plunge if you've never done it before. Or gone winter camping, or stayed in an RV during the winter...anything similar would help. You certainly won't wake up toasty warm and dry in the mornings without some extensive prep on the boat, expect to make some compromises.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.