Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
What kind of boating experience are you looking for when you get to your boat? The Bay offers a range of opportunity from city skylines, to quaint little towns, to some beautiful rural areas.

Where you locate your boat will impact the kind of experience you have. Annapolis, Baltimore or the Norfolk area offer a lot of land based attractions in addtion to the bay, but come with the attendant crowds of people. Other areas offer more of a get away.

My boat is at Deltaville, VA which would probably be an hour from Norfolk airport. The area has several experienced boat yards, some decent places to eat and not much else. Large vessel traffic in the area is less of a concern than around the big port cities. We really enjoy the fact that our "home away from home" is in an area very different from our home in Northern Virginia.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
midlife...what marina are you at there? We used to be at stingray harbor...good town and cheap place to keep a boat except for the annual county tax!
Old 12-20-2006

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
midlife...what marina are you at there? We used to be at stingray harbor...good town and cheap place to keep a boat except for the annual county tax!
We are at Stingray Harbor @ Stingray Point and like it a lot. When we were shopping boats we also looked at a lot of marinas up and down the bay. Herrigton Harbor was the most convienient for us (although very expensive), with Annapolis and Baltimore being nearly tied for second closest. All had a lot to offer, but Deltaville's laid back style suits us best for now.

The history and entertainment options of Annapolis may someday lure us to move up the bay but for the foreseeable future I think we'll be staying put.
Old 12-20-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Midlife...Same as we used to be! Good place. Say hi to all the old timers in the SHYC for us if you are a member! Boat name is screen name!
Old 12-22-2006

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Be aware of the tax consequences of various state laws. Florida has, I believe, a 6% sales tax. But you do not have to pay that tax if you are not a resident of that state as long as you move it out of Fl within, I think, 90 days. You could register it in your home state and then pay their sales tax. But if you keep it in Maryland waters, you will pay Maryland taxes. The way it works is, let say your state of registration has a 6% sales tax. If you keep the boat in Maryland longer than 60 days, they will want the balance between your 6% and the Maryland tax of 8.5%. So you pay an additional 2.5% tax to Maryland. If you can't prove you paid the 6% then you pay the whole 8.5%. Most states operate this way but Maryland has a very high tax that will get you and they do actively look for people like you to grab all they can.
Old 12-22-2006
moderate?

xort...and also there is ANNUAL personal property tax that is assessed most every January to boats in marinas within most of the southern states. In VA on a 100k boat it was about $1k/year in MOST counties...which is why I recommended the Norfolk/Portsmouth/Hampton area which has none.
Old 12-23-2006

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Am I missing something? The only tax I have paid on my boat was when I purchased it? Other than that, I pay for Maryland DNR registration of $24 a year. Are all these taxes your talking about only applying to out of state residents whose boat is register of out state?

Last edited by T37Chef; 12-23-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-23-2006
moderate?

T37... it is a state by state thing...MD has no personal property tax for individuals. Across the bay in VA and in NC, SC and GA they do. Within each of these states, counties actually assess these taxes at whatever rate they choose. It applies to ALL vessels in county waters (not in transit as defined by the county) when they go around to make their survey of boats. Where you are registered, who owns the boat, etc. makes no difference. For example...I had a boat in a yard getting some hull & other repairs made that took 6 months. Boat was not registered there, nor were we living on it but we had to pay tax.
Old 12-26-2006

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
T37
My guess is that you paid 8.5% Maryland sales tax. That's among the highest sales tax rates in the US. Most are around 6%, some less and a few at zero!
Old 12-26-2006

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Xort...I think you guessed wrong, Maryland sales tax is 5%.

Last edited by T37Chef; 12-26-2006 at 04:47 PM.