Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006
Newbe

paulloehr is on a distinguished road
Question Liveaboard in Virginia

Iím moving to Virginia, Norfolk area having trouble finding liveaboard docks. Dock dose not have to be in Norfolk im willing to go anywhere in southern Virginia possibly anywhere in Virginia. Would greatly appreciate some ideals on where to look. Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2006

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
try olverson's in Callao

A bit aways from Norfolk, but they do allow liveaboards is Olverson's Lodge Creek Marina. ABout 10 miles up the Potomac River from the mouth of the bay.

There are several marinas in Deltaville, VA that allow limited numbers of liveaboards.

Best of luck.

dave
Old 01-02-2007

RichH will become famous soon enough
Personal Property Taxes - Virginia !!!!!!

Be very wary of draconian personal property taxes that some of the 'neck' counties in Virginia impose on boats, cars, etc. Can be up to 4% on assessed value PER YEAR . Most of these counties are closer to DC but do include the Deltaville area. If you are 'military' there are 'exemptions'. The Norfolk area doesnt impose such personal property taxes on boats .... yet.

Of course this is 'addition' to differential sales tax you already paid and what Virgina imposes.
Old 01-03-2007

bubduck2002 is on a distinguished road
Try the marina's in Hampton. I believe there are three of them and all three have live aboards
Old 01-28-2007

Idealidaho is on a distinguished road
I am interested in liveaboard also. What about in the Woodbridge area?

RichH,
That is interesting about taxes. Do you know if Prince William County imposes these taxes? I thought I heard that boats and RV's are exempt.
Old 01-31-2007

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
liveaboard in VA

In woodbridge, va I lived at EZ Cruz. They have/had several of us there. Most were like me, in and out a few days, and then home a few days.

OK, once you get used to the VRE trains at 5:30am..

no others will allow liveaboards that I know of....

dave
Old 02-09-2007

Loewe is on a distinguished road
A little slow here Paul but both Tidewater and Ocean Marine used to allow liveaboards. They are both on the Portsmouth side directly across from Hooters in Waterside

Regards,
Red
Old 02-26-2007
Boater

pfbanyas is on a distinguished road
Current Norfolok liveaboard and previous Woodbridge

I lived aboard in the DC area for a year or so until last November. The issue in Northern VA is that in Fairfax county they prohibit living aboard a vessel. If you are military or retired military you can apply to the Quantico Marine base marina but the waiting list is a year or so long, although you can get in there for the winter months but will have to leave in March as the regulars come back (yes very different how they do it). There are several marinas on the Occoquan (Woodbridge) that will allow you to stay on your boat as a transient at the transient rate. I stayed at Belmont Bay Marina for three months as a Transient. I also spent a winter at Quantico. Gangplank Marina in DC will allow live aboards but the waiting list is very long unless you buy a boat that is in a live aboard slip.
Any Federal or State marina up there will not allow liveaboards.

For six months of the year I stayed at Fort Washington Marina in Maryland. The biggest problem there is that Maryland charges a 3 percent excise tax no matter how long you have had the boat if you wish to stay there over 90 days unless you stayed in another state for greater than the amount of time you stayed in Maryland. It is quite lengthy to explain. Suffice it to say I styed 5.5 months there and 6 months in VA and had to prove it.

The drive from Fort Washington to Skyline complex in Falls Chruch took around half an hour which is not too bad. They are installing new floating docks as we speak. Marina fairly well protected, and shallow outside approach channel. Mostly caters to middle class black boaters with a sprinkling of others. When I first moved in I was sort of an oddity, I have a 40 Schucker and am white. After everyone met me it was just like every other marina. The shoe was on the other foot which was a learning experience.

Anyway let me know if you need anything else and I can help as I can.

Norfolk Virginia is where I am now. I have had a boat here as a live aboard several times over the last decade or so. Currently have boat in East Beach Marina on Fishermans Creek aka Little Creek. There are several marinas on the creek that allow liveaboards. Some require a lease for a small rate reductions and then each may charge a little different for electricity. Once again let me know and I can find out more. There are also severla Marinas in Hampton and Salt Ponds that allow live aboards. Portsmouth also has loveaboards.

In my travels Norfolk is one of the best places to live aboard simply because there are so many options. let me know what other questions you have. Thanks

Pat
Old 02-28-2007

Muckabout is on a distinguished road
Try Scott's Creek Marina Portsmouth, in an industrial area however the Marina is clean, has a pool and ample parking. The only problem is that it is so far up the river that it takes a while to get to the Bay. Tide Water Marina also has this problem of being far up the river. Other wise a nice place, great spot to watch the fireworks on the various holidays. Farther up Scott's Creek are some smaller Marinas but you may have a problem if your draft is more than 4'.

Last edited by Muckabout; 02-28-2007 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you work in the DC metro area, the Fort Washington, MD, area marinas are probably your best bet. They are re-developing the waterfront in Fort Washington, so the facilities in general are improving quite a bit...but are still quite reasonably priced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.