Your fantasy port/marina for liveaboard? - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-08-2017 Thread Starter

Your fantasy port/marina for liveaboard?

Hi all... i am single, retired and just bought my boat (Allmand 31) and plan to go sailing this summer mostly in the southeast (NC, SC, GA, FL. I plan to be a live aboard but not sure where... I want to be in an area that has culture, relative warm weather all years, a decent population, and beautiful...

WHERE WOULD YOU RECOMMEND? WHAT ARE YOUR TOP THREE FANTASY PLACES (CITIES) TO BE A LIVEABOARD?

JOHN
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-09-2017

Dock
Re: Your fantasy port/marina for liveaboard?

Key Largo, Fort Lauderdale, Merritt Island.

Andy
Key Largo
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
post #3 of 17 Old 03-12-2017

Dock

Come to Charleston SC, great culture, food, etc and the harbor is right in the middle of it. Savannah Georgia is another great option for the same reasons but is a little bit smaller if thats more your pace.

post #4 of 17 Old 03-12-2017

New Bern, Wilmington/Southport, Oriental, all in NC. Quite inexpensive as well. Maybe you go south for the winter as it does get cold in these parts (but not freezing). Summers down South can be brutal.
redfishnc likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #5 of 17 Old 03-12-2017

Dock

South of France, Nice, St Tropez, Monaco, Cannes...

Anywhere there
miatapaul and mikel1 like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 Old 03-12-2017
Master Mariner

As a "fantasy port" I'd have to almost agree with Mark, just slightly to the East. Port Hercules in Monaco would be the place to hang, if I was a multimillionaire. A few days there on my budget and I'd be eating rice and beans for the rest of the month (or two). After that the Cote D'azur and the Balearic Islands are wonderful.
However, a bit closer to home, if you are going to stay in a marina or behind someone's house, Charleston SC is probably the best liveaboard town I've seen on the East coast. A truly cosmopolitan city with good weather (and a breeze) most of the year. Summers can be brutal, but not nearly as bad as anywhere in Fla. There's an active racing crowd there and the harbor if OK for day sailing, with an incredible view of the old town and the two forts at the entrance. It is not a good liveaboard town if you plan to be anchored out though.
I also used to like Beaufort NC, but I hear things have changed there as to the liveaboard regulations and shore access by dinghy. A very small waterfront town, quite similar to a New England fishing village, with much better weather. Just to the west is the Newport River and across that is the "big city" of Morehead City where your can get, do or find just about anything you might wish.
I've spent a lot of time in Fla & the Keys and I'd never go back. The water LEO's are nut jobs and the state is pretty well set up to favor the rich, on the waterways. Anchoring regs can be a killer, even for a few hours on a weekend. The only real sailing waters on either coast is offshore and that can seriously hamper any plans for a day sail, if the weather isn't cooperative.
timangiel likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

Last edited by capta; 03-12-2017 at 04:05 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-13-2017

Anywhere you can find a live aboard marina in the Florida Keys. Anyplace north of Key Largo gets too damned cold in winter. Kriss, I was in Myrtle Beach on winter playing music and the temperature outside was 17 degrees, and never got above freezing for a week. I bailed out and went to Marathon Key, Florida and the temperature was 65 and everyone was wearing heavy coats and sweaters.

All the best,

Gary
timangiel likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
Kriss, I was in Myrtle Beach on winter playing music and the temperature outside was 17 degrees, and never got above freezing for a week. I bailed out and went to Marathon Key, Florida and the temperature was 65 and everyone was wearing heavy coats and sweaters.
It's this global warming trend we were promised, Gary...
But at least the bays here in NC are not yet freezing for the winter. That is really what I meant, that you can sail even in winter here.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #9 of 17 Old 03-18-2017

Miami Beach marina is a great place to stay long or short term but no boatyards close nearby that I'm aware of.Several marinas in the Daytona area are nice and there are several good boatyards just down the river.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-19-2017

+1 for NC... FL panhandle next

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.