Living on legal Mooring while holding a job? - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Living on legal Mooring while holding a job?

Hi, Is anyone out here living aboard on a legal mooring near a marina and holding a job for income? I would probably do a transit in the marina once a week to do laundry, hot shower, and ..... Is it unrealistic to take this lifestyle? I have a small budget in the kitty of 400 a month, and would like to add maybe another 800 or so for a fairly comfortable living while mooring. I will be on a 28 foot vessel and it is set up for this arrangement.... small portable generator, battery bank, heat.... Planing to purchase in late May and move aboard. I lived aboard a 27' Nor'Sea for three years, but in a Marina. Any ideas or sharing of experience would be greatly appreciated. Mike
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Barquito

Re: Living on legal Mooring while holding a job?

Welcome to SailNet! If you run power hungry things (refrigeration, air conditioning, disco lights...), you may find the generator noise driving you crazy, or pissed off neighbors. Don't even think about having a dog on board, unless you really like your dinghy. Is there a place to safely park your dinghy while you are ashore?
Faster and Inchrist like this.

Valiant 32
The Following User Says Thank You to Barquito For This Useful Post:
Inchrist (3 Weeks Ago)
post #3 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

Barquito's main points are good ones. Not having a daily shower while working every day seems it might be an issue.. Is it a 'dress-up' kind of job? Another factor would be where will this all happen? Warm climate, little rain? or?

I think it would take a pretty dedicated person to put up with the complications; as a former liveaboard you'll have some of this down, the mooring commute is a whole other aspect.
Inchrist likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
Inchrist (3 Weeks Ago)

post #4 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago

I've known more than one person to do it. A couple are sailing instructors in the Caribbean. Ironically, both live on salvaged boats that don't actually sail, but live permanently on mooring/anchor and row to shore.

Location is a huge variable in the question.

If you've done it from a slip, why up the challenge to a mooring? Commuting to shore on the morning with thunderstorms and 30kt winds would be a drag in almost any form of work clothing.
Inchrist likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Inchrist (3 Weeks Ago)
post #5 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

I kinda doubt that showering once a week will be good if you are around other people. As most marinas charge you for tying up your dink by the month, you could take a few more a week.
You didn't mention where you will be mooring, but weather might be a big factor for living aboard. As Barquito mentioned, power might be a problem, especially if you plan to get it from the sun or wind. Many areas only allow liveaboards at anchor or on a mooring for at most a month, so anchoring might be better as then you could move about when necessary. Pump outs are also something you must consider. If they don't have a boat in your area, especially on a tiny boat like you mentioned, you might need to empty your holding tank weekly or even more frequently, which means going to a pump out station.
As a liveaboard off the dock you also need to consider the reality of showing up to work wet as a drowned cat. Being somewhere on time when one must dinghy to shore has it's drawbacks.
With a tiny boat like that it could actually be more advantageous to live dockside either in a marina or behind someone's house, if you are working ashore.
Inchrist likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
Inchrist (3 Weeks Ago)
post #6 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thank you Barquito.... I will be showering daily just no hot water. I am still weighing out the pros and cons. Your input is appreciated.
post #7 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Yes, you all have good advice. The dingy thing could cause a daily issue in inclement weather. Thanks... I ran into some financial issues and am just brainstorming trying to see how prudent & frugal I can reasonably be financially. All great advice and things to consider.
post #8 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

Unfortunately living aboard is rarely as 'inexpensive' a way to live as many think, esp when everyday complications like jobs get in the way.. and what about holding tanks and pumpouts when on the mooring? How many days will you get on the tank??
Inchrist likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
Inchrist (3 Weeks Ago)
post #9 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Living on your boat is substantially less expensive than buying, maintaining and paying taxes on waterfront property. All other comparisons are suspect, as to which is a better financial move.

I've known a few 20-something's that have figured out how to get by living inexpensively, on very small boats, in very expensive places around here. Hard to do over the winter, but I even know one who did that. They seem to bounce around, with temporary jobs as dock hands, launch drivers, yard workers, etc, then disappear. Wish I had done something similarly at their age, but would never consider it today. My version of living aboard is not less expensive than living ashore, it's just less expensive than the multimillion dollar house I'm anchored in front of.

p.s. For clarity, I am a 4 day per week, 7 month per year live aboard only at this point.
Inchrist likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Inchrist (3 Weeks Ago)
post #10 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Much of this will depend on the mooring itself and the amenities provided by the mooring field. I Boot Key Harbor, Marathon Key, Florida, there are weekly pumpouts included with the mooring fee of 300. Extra pumpouts are an additonal $5.

Water at the city dock is .05 per gallon and metered. Also included in fee is free showers, free dinghy dock, free parking spot for their car and free WI-FI.

I knew about a dozen folks that lived aboard down there who worked full time jobs in town. Some had children living aboard with them, some had dogs and cats, and all showered daily.

Now, these folks worked at West Marine, some worked in restaurtants, one was a trash truck driver for the city. In my case, as a musician/singer/entertainer, I only stayed on a mooring ball for about a month, then tied up to the marina bulkhead so I could run my AC and keep the moisture off my delicate electronic gear, keyboard, amp, etc..., all of which I was transporting by dinghy for that first month. I only had one time where water splashed over the side of the inflatable, but it was scary - could have cost me thousands in damages had it been worse.

I have a 75-gallon freshwater tank, which lasted me about 2 weeks while on the mooring. I showered every day, and I had a shower head that conserved water while still providing a nice, hot shower. I also had a 5 gallon solar shower, which I filled from the freshwater tank so I didn't have to run the engine to heat the shower water.

Hope this helps,

Gary
RegisteredUser and Inchrist like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to travlin-easy For This Useful Post:
Inchrist (3 Weeks Ago)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.