Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007

mvsunstar is on a distinguished road
Splendide Washing Machine

I just purchased my first sailboat (Cooper 416) a couple of months ago and am now preparing it as a liveaboard. I was at the Seattle boat show last weekend and I saw these little combo washer/dryer units (Splendide) that were on sale for a really good price $858 US. The marina I will be moored at does not have any laundry service. I can make the room on my boat available easily enough and I like the idea of being completely disconnected from shore. The unit will need to be run from a generator when away from shore and I figure I would discharge the water directly into the sea - using 100% nature friendly detergent of course. The unit uses about 10 gallons per load. Has anyone had any experience with these?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
MV,

I AM NOT the expert here and have not owned one. Want to make that clear up front, but I am farily familiair with the unit as I was going to do the same thing (and may still, but that is a long story). I have heard mixed results. I talked to one guy on his Valiant and he and his wife LOVE it. Cannot remember who he was, but he cruised the islands and I think he is in Guatemala right now... so if that person is reading this, chime up (I spoke to you outside Steve's office about six months ago). They used theirs for 2 years, no problems.

Now, that is about the end of the good stories I have heard. Many people hate them. TOm Neale stuffed paper towels in his. I am suprised that your marina does not have W/D facilities. Almost all of the ones I have been to that are Liveaboard down south have them. Also, I do not know where you are cruising, but down south you really don't go through a lot of clothes... not like living in a house.

I would like to have one too, as there are four of us (two kids).

I too would be interested in hearing both sides of the story. The units are not expensive in $$, but they are in space and water. Tough decision.
Old 02-06-2007

Cruising,

I live in Vancouver and its a private marina on Granville Island - no laundry facilities unfortunately. All the other marinas will take at least 2 years to get into for liveaboard. Unfortunately the weather can be rather wet for many, many months on end and layering clothing is a must. Which means lots of clothes, washed far more frequently then the tropics.

"TOm Neale stuffed paper towels in his" ... not sure what you mean by this. Was the unit leaking or did he just use it as available space because it was worthless as a laundry machine.

They list for $1199 on the westmarine.com website and are similarly priced here in Canada - so for $858 US I'm considering taking the plunge. I figure I can always sell it to an apartment dweller for more money anyways if I don't like it.

Cheers
Old 02-06-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hey MV, Go for it. Let me know how it works. I am interested.

- CD
Old 02-08-2007

Headingsouth is on a distinguished road
I would be very careful with the Splendide washer/dryer unit. I am still considering one for my new boat (Leopard 43 cat), but have had 2 bad experiences with the one in my motorhome. The first time, the washer filled up as if to rinse the clothes and suddenly stopped. Tried every possible switch, cycled thru various knobs and could not get the machine to drain. Eventually, I had to pop the door open and wound up with 5 gallons of water on the floor. The other, stranger event was when the unit was hooked up to City water, I did one load, and the unit must have cycled through rinse multiple times as I went on to overflow my gray water holding tank, which was at least 50 gallons. Obviously the concern here wouldn't be the waste, but using up all of your water. I guess you wouldn't use the W/D without a watermaker, but still very strange. It works just fine now with no repairs.
Old 02-08-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

MV Sunstar,

A cheaper and more practical solution would be to find where Headingsouth parks his MV and sneak aboard at night!!

- CD

PS THe Leopard is a cool boat. Good luck with that.
Old 02-08-2007

HS - that is some useful information. That would certainly be a pickle if you couldn't drain the machine manually. I think at this point I've decided to defer for another year. I can live with transporting laundry once a week if need be. Besides now I can afford to get that new radar.

CD - I guess given the fact that I'm not going to buy a machine now, all the more reason to sneak into HS's RV to do laundry

Cheers
Old 02-09-2007

rhinogirls3 is on a distinguished road
Hi MV

Sorry, I have no info. on washing machines, but have question for you re: living aboard in Vancouver. Is that WA or Canada? We will have our boat in WA this fall and need to learn about available marinas. It's easy to find the large marinas online but I know there have to be smaller (and hopefully a bit more affordable) ones elsewhere. Short of making many trips to WA I don't know how to start looking. It sounds like you may have done lots of research already, so if you can point me in any directions I would be grateful!

rhino
Old 02-10-2007

sorry rhino. I was talking about Vancouver, BC. I sometimes forget that there is another Vancouver and not that far away as well. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2007

Headingsouth is on a distinguished road
Sorry guys, the motorhome is going bye bye when the boat is ready. Don't need two money pits. The argument I hear FOR the washer/dryer is that it allows you to cruise with less changes of clothes, as you can wash frequently. BUt then again, how many T-shirts and shorts does it take to equal the weight and space of a washer/dryer unit?? I'm going to see what else new is out there at the Miami boat show and will post if anyone is interested.